Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Spleen Size

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Spleen Size
About 2 years ago I was having some general adbominal pain on upper right and left sides of abdomen with much nausea and fatigue. Abdominal x-rays were negative and had a CT scan of ab/pelvis. My spleen was shown to be 12 CM craniocaudal. The radilogist said the spleen was upper end of normal but the report said "prominent." My gastro doctor said 12 CM was not an issue. An ultrsound 10 months ago of the abdomen showed length of 11.5 CM. The radiologist said the spleen was normal although the technician who did the ultrasound said my spleen looked "generous." Do these sizes appear to be normal? What is considered abnormal, and is ultrasound a good test in detecting spleen size. There seems to be many opinions on spleen size.
An abnormal spleen size is dependent on the study.

A spleen is considered abnormal if it is more than 13cm in length or greater than 5cm in thickness by ultrasound.

If a CT is performed, it is consider enlarged if is greater than 10cm in length.

Thus, depending on which study was performed, 12cm may either be enlarged, or at the upper range of normal.  

Either CT scanning or ultrasound are acceptable modalities to measure for spleen size.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
12 cm is not abnormal for spleen size.
So I assume the 12cm from the CT is normal, but at the upper end? My ultrasound showed "trans spleen" at 5.79 CM. What is trans spleen? Is that thickness?
A related discussion, to medical community: was started.
A related discussion, Spleen size was started.
A related discussion, enlarge spleen was started.
A related discussion, big spleen was started.
A related discussion, 8.5 spleen was started.