Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach Failure to Empty

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach Failure to Empty

Kayliens back,to tell you I failed my gastric emptying study.Normal is 50% in two hours,and mine was 32% in two hours.Tomorrow I do the liquid test...Last couple days my stomach is crampy,and now I have GREEN stools..Never had that before...Anyone else ever seen this???? Should I be concerned??
Kaylien
Hi Kaylien:

Sorry to hear about the results of your test.  I had a Gastric Emptying Test done about 5 months ago. They had me eat two scrambled eggs and drink 16 ounces of water, and took the nuclear imaging x-rays every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Did you drink 16 ounces of water??

I ask because in 2 hours, my stomach emptied 80% of the eggs into my small intestine, which my doctor said was normal, compared to 50% for your test. Perhaps the water was the difference.

Since I came out of the test with a "normal" result, I did not have any further discussion with the doc on any recommendations. Have you had those discussions yet, and are they recommending Reglan?

Please keep us up to date, we're wishing you all the best.
Chicken Soup
I had the two scrambled eggs,and 8 oz of juice...My test came back abnormal..
Today I had the liquid test,and that was normal. I have been on Reglan for over a year,and developed neurological problems,so they took me off of it.Three days off of it,and I took a nose dive.I have trouble with solid foods,so I mainly drink,and eat soft foods.I will see my gastro in October,so for now,I don't know what he will do.I guess the next test will be endoscopy..Kaylien
I also had trouble tolerating Reglan, and got off it very quickly. It has a long list of possible side effects.

Good luck with the endoscopy.
I haven't had the test. However, I did begin taking the acidophilus. I was amazed how fast I began to make progress. I had chronic diarrhea for three weeks. I also suffer from illness-related anxiety. This is a tough anxiety to conquer!

MY GI told me to heap the fiber into my diet. I felt that my bowels were not emptying and I went around feeling like I had diarrhea all day long. The mornings were the worst. Since I began the acidophilus my "stuff" is firming-up. It is not where I want it to be but it has improved enough to tell me I'm not dying...at least not this week!

Kenneth
A related discussion, Soma helped me was started.