Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stools stuck in Anus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stools stuck in Anus

Hello.  I am a 46 year old male and in excellent health otherwise.     I am not on any medications. My problem is so embarassing I could never ask my physician about it in person.  Here it is:  Sometimes when I am moving my bowels, I pass most of the fecal matter just fine, but the last inch or two of the fecal mass just stops right in my anus and does not pass.  No amount of pushing, straining or patience will help.  The anus remains dilated open with a chunk of feces stuck there.  I can feel the dilated anus and the material, but the urge to have a bowel movement is gone.  I have to keep latex gloves, moistened towelettes and K-Y jelly with me to clean up with, otherwise plain wiping only results in smeared feces all over the place.  I will add that I don't have any other symptoms that I can tell.  I don't "hold it in" when I have the urge to have a bowel movement.  I don't have IBS or constipation.  I don't have a history of anal or rectal injury or trauma.  I don't particpate in activities that could damage my anus.  No hemorrhoids. I did have an anoplasty 23 years ago in a failed attempt to correct a chronic anal fissure that seems to come and go from time to time.  The bleeding fissure and this problem do not seem to be correlated.  This happens on perhaps 5-10% of my bowel movements.  Thank you.
Any type of anatomical blockage can lead to the symptom.  This can include a mass, polyp, or even rectal or anal cancer.  

Being close to the age of 50, this should be evaluated appropriately.  The workup should include either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.  

You can discuss this option with your personal physician, or in conjunction with your gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
you could have a mild stricture causing this since you've had surgery in that area....i would check with your surgeon or gp
Thanks for the comment, Ozark.  Yeah, I have wondered if the surgical procedure has side effects.  That's why I mentioned it and hoped the Doctor would have something to say about it. I vaguely remember the surgeon saying something about loss of control.  Unfortunately he's dead now.  He did the anoplasty by cutting some muscles, I beleive.  In any case, it's like the urge to push and the normal reflex and muscsle contractions that force the feces out sometime just stop right in the middle of passing a fecal mass.  I recognize this and try to push, etc. but it usually does no good.

In addition, I have had recent digital rectal prostate exams and I am quite confident that there is no anatomical structure or growth blocking the passageway.
you may also have a rectocele where the rectal/sigmoid area is somewhat enlarged....this is a possiblility.  adk the dr about it
good luck
A related discussion, fecal matter stuck in edge of anus was started.