Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Straining to pass gas or bowel movements.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 37 year old Female, with IBS. I am tired of going to the doctor for stomach issues and was hoping you can answer a question for me. I always stain to have a bowel movement or pass gas. I never have hard stools however. Even when I get diarreha I have to really strain to go. I recently have went had a full digestive exam with all the tests. Everything came back normal as it did the first time I had these tests done 10 years ago. Except  for having colon polps removed and internal hemmroids. I recently started on Cymbalta and though it is working great for me in every other way.  It seems to have made the straining problem worse. It is very uncomfortable to have this issue, i feel like i am packed with stool but have to really push and strain to get it out even a small amount. Even though my stools are soft would this be considered a Constipation problem? Can Hemmroids swell enough inside to cause this problem? What can I take to help with this issue?  Thank you very much!!
Straining can lead to hemorrhoids as well as constipation.   I would assume that a colonoscopy has been performed to look for anatomic abnormalities.  

If the symptoms continue, you can consider more specialized testing, such as anorectal manometry as well as colonic motility studies.  

If the symptoms continue, IBS medications like Zelnorm may be of benefit.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have IBS and I got on Zelnorm and it has helped alot!!!!