Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Strange Objects in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Strange Objects in stool

I have found some strange objects in my stool and my doctors have been unable to figure out what they are.  The first is a skin-like objects (1 inches long x 1/2 inch wide).  The color is a translucent brown.  On this skin is a hardened brownish object about the size of a seasame seed, it seems attached.  Usually this skin is folded up in my stool (which is a lot smaller than normal).  I have also seen white objects, again about the size of seasame seeds, there are a lot of them.  I would say 20-30 per bowel movement.  When you squeeze these objects they fall apart very quickly.  I have also found white discs about 1/8 inch in diameter with a black center.  Sometimes I have seen these objects in a translucent green hard shell (kind of like the shell of a pea).  When you squeeze these disc-objects out comes this white stringy object, kind of like a worm but that maybe because it is coming out of a tiny hole.  They have performed a routine ova/parasite exam and found nothing.  I have not eaten any objects like the ones I described.  I have had abdominal pain in the past (for about 6 months) but that is no longer present.  My bowel movements typically follow the pattern of: night-early morning pass mucousy blood (about 4-6 times a night), day pass small condensed stool with occassional muscous (about 5-6 times a day).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Without actually seeing the objects myself, I cannot be sure.  Here are some considerations.  Malabsorption would be one.  Commonly stools are described as mucousy or greasy.  I am not sure that there would be discrete objects.  Another would be irritable bowel syndrome, where spasms of the colon can affect digestion.  

In any case, with the presence of mucousy blood, I would suggest a colonoscopy to evaluate for inflammation or any other obvious causes.  In addition, tests for malabsorption, such as fecal fat content or celiac sprue should be considered.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi.

I had clostridium difficile infection once and I had some very strange-looking stool at that time.  I was also passing a lot of mucous, and had the stringy white stuff you mention.  However, I also had an enormous amount of diarrhea associated with it.  Perhaps you might have your stool checked for it.  Have you been on antibiotics lately?

Kate
do you own pets??
cat has ringworms and could easily pass on to you,lots of them will come out if you are under medication,they look like white broken vermicelli.
You need to also take into consideration the foods you eat, medications you take etc.. not everything that you eat, drink, etc will be fulling digested. Some forms of medication are designed to dissolve but still leave a shell. Not all foods are digested and removed in the same shape and form. Also, since they tested for O&P and found nothing, have they done a stool culture? Been checked for IBS? Chrons disease? Diverticulitis, just to name a few. Also maybe you need to have a colonoscopy done to rule out colon problems. Also you could possibly be re infecting yourself depending on how you are examining your stool.. many infections are passed through the hands, etc... It may be a smart move to go see a gastroenterologist concerning your stool, abdominal pain etc..
too much anti biotics upset your system and cause yeast infection.
someone thinks it could be ulcerated colitis and the ulcer is passing out of your body.
I've had some of the same symptoms in my stools such as the mucus, blood, the small white balls you described.  A few months ago in July I was talking a lot of anti-biotics (about 5) for an ear infection and I have heard that C Diff can be caused by some anti biotics.  I'm only 16 and I've been finished with the anti biotics for almost 4 months so I didn't think that they would have been the cause since it was such a long time ago.  I was wondering how long after finishing the anti biotics did you people who were diagnosed with C diff start experiencing your problems?
The foods we eat can pass through and give  a strange appearance.  The white round things you see may be okra.  Do you eat okra or foods that contain okra?  Sometimes corn goes through undigested also> Celery leaves long strings.
I first noticed very small white balls in my stool several months ago.  Doctor suggested undigested food but that didn't seem right so I extracted a couple to have a look.  They are pearl-white and seem waxy (like teflon, nothing seems to stick to them).  I found that they are hard, when dropped they make a definite "tick" sound as the hit the floor.

I cut one open and found that it is solid white all the way through and crushes down to powder.

The only reason I even care to notice is because for the past two years I have had severe bloating and discomfort with no apparent cause.  My doctor has done all sorts of tests and all come out just fine.  So apparently I'm just fine.  

Anybody have any ideas?
hi , I have been diagnosed  with IBS in 1998 and have not had any check ups since ...Lately  I noticed my stools are normal at first and as the day goes on they change to bright yellow and alot of mucus ..should I get this checked out or is this normal for IBS. I usually have bm's about 4 to 5 times daily and sometimes more . very aggrevating! But there doesn't seem to be anything out there to help. Is there any new drugs to help with this. My IBS is with diarea (diarrhea) not constipation.
Hi, the white objects are yeast. they come out in all different shapes and sizes but are white.

sounds like the other things are parasites or undigested food.
A related discussion, yellow objects in stool was started.