Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swallowed piece of broken tooth crown

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Swallowed piece of broken tooth crown

Two nights ago, a piece of my tooth crown chipped off and I accidentally swallowed it.  

I'm freaking out that this piece of porcelain tooth will rip up my insides on the way out.  Logically, I know that it should just "pass" right on out of me.  But that doesn't make me stop from worrying about it.

Of course, It doesn't help that I have IBS off/on and am having some stomach & abdominal pain.  

If the crown chip was causing problems, what would the symptoms be?

thanks!
If there is concern about irritation or even a perforation, this would lead to abdominal discomfort or bleeding.  Upper GI bleeding can manifest as black stools.  

You can obtain imaging studies to see if the object is still within the bowels.  An endoscopy can be considered to see if there is any upper GI damage.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
It is highly unlikely that this could cause any type of problem. It is very small, and probably not all that sharp. You are probably just a worrier by nature. You probably won't even notice it pass. The only symptom you might find if it's really tearing up your insides would be bloody stool or vomit.
A related discussion, I swallowed a dental crown with a metal peg attatched was started.
A related discussion, diswallow a crown teeth three week's ago was started.