Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swallowing difficulties-should I takeDigestive enzymes with Prevacid?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I've been on Prevacid 90mg for over 3 weeks now, and I am actually having increased problems swallowing since the boost.  I have called my Ohio State specialist, who I am newly seeing, because the problems are living hell, but they will not get me in until the end of January. The many local doctors that turned their backs on me seem useless at this point, so I need some help desperately.  I have been going through problems from internal bleeding, Nissen Fundoplication, and was on Prevacid 30 for over 15 months.  Now is worse than ever because I am afraid to eat because of my swallowing problems.

Is there an angel out there with advice?  I feel as if there is no one to turn to, and I am needing the Lord to send me an informational miracle!

Is it the increase in Prevacid causing more problems?  Should I take digestive enzymes?   HELP!

I had trouble with swallowing before I was diagnosed with Zollinger Ellison. Once I was put on Prevacid (120/day) it went away.  So, you can take more prevacid safely, but do let your dr know.  HAve you split up the dosage so you take 1/2 in the morn and 1/2 at night?  That may help.  Take before meals.  If all else fails, eat smaller, softer meals (soups etc) until you get to see you dr.  Even after seeing them, you may have to wait months for tests to be done (I did) but they will find out what is wrong.