Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Tummy troubles 6 months after antibiotics
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tummy troubles 6 months after antibiotics

I am a 30 year old female in excellent health. I have had acute severe nausea along with bloating, gas and GERD after taking a couple rounds of heavy antibiotics 6 months ago. I have seen a gastro DR and had an adominal (abdominal) ultrasound, Upper GI and colonoscopy. I was told I have Bile Reflux and gastritis. I was put on Omeprazole 40mg for 8 weeks and I have taken Allign. My husband and i want to get pregnant so I am weaning myself off the Omeprazole taking it every 3 rd day and taking Pepcid AC in between. The nausea has returned and comes in waves becoming more severe. My Gastro Dr quit and they canceled all my up coming appointments so I am on my own and there isn't another good gastro Dr in town. What can I do to get some relief that will not effect my baby if I am to get pregnant?
Related Discussions
242516_tn?1368227505
Puranen,

Sorry to hear of your nausea, bloating, gas and GERD after taking antibiotics many months ago.  It's reassuring that the gastroenterologist has obtained a normal abdominal ultrasound, upper GI series, and colonoscopy.  Bile reflux and gastritis can be directly visualized with upper endoscopy : esophageal-gastro-duodenoscopy which does not sound like you have received.  Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole and Histamine type 2 blockers such as Pepcid are helpful fro gastritis and reflux by reducing the amount of acid produced in your stomach.  It's difficult to treat GERD in pregnancy since the only antacids that are perfectly safe in pregnancy are calcium carbonate based ones like Tums which are not absorbed so they can't risk the pregnancy.  Other meds are not well tested but you can ask your OB/Gyn if it's ok to take anti nausea medicines like Zofran which is well tested and considered safe in pregnancy.

Enoch Choi, MD
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, 9 months no diagnosis- Help Needed was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Flexure was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity