Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Unexplained Loss of Body Mass

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Unexplained Loss of Body Mass

I have a friend who stands 6', 1" and normally weighs 205 to 208/lbs with a solid healthy appearance. Over the course of the last 4 months he has strangely loss 8 to 10/lbs unintentionally without any changes in diet. The bigger problem is that his body has diminished -- neck, arms, chest, waist (36" to 33"), buttucks (firm to flabby), thighs, calves, etc. -- as if the unexplained weight loss equaled 30 or 40/lbs. The only thing different is that his stomach "growls" more frequently and, where as, he use to have a BM once every 2 to 3 days, now its at least once a day with urgency. Also, he size of the BM is huge (nearly 2" in dia and 12" to 15" in length). He is now starting to feel some body weakness. Thus far, he has had 3 std. test of his fecal matter with negative results. His doctor does not seem concerned; he said that, "there is no recorded illness where body mass is diminished without a corresponding decrease in weight loss". But, while seeing evidence to the contrary he has no explaination for my friends problem.
Thus far, all blood work has come back negative. We need help identifying what is happening to him.
L.Shank
This kind of weight loss and loss of body mass could indicate a nutritional deficiency, which could be caused by any number of reasons.  It certainly may be some kind of digestive problem or obstruction in one of the many digestive organs.  I would urge your friend to consult with a digestive specialist, other than a general practitioner, and see if the specialist would do further testing and bloodwork to look into this in more detail.

Loss of weight and body mass was the first thing that happened to me when I developed a chronic condition that now I will have the rest of my life.  If I had been smart enough to consult a digestive specialist at these early signs, much of what happened to me later on may have been avoided!  Get your friend to see a specialist and keep looking for an answer for his problems.  Good luck!
Nanny
A related discussion, body mass was started.