Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Abdominal Pain Middle/Right side radiating to the back! Please He...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper Abdominal Pain Middle/Right side radiating to the back! Please Help!

I am 38yr old and feeling miserable for about a week.  I have pain that persist on my right side below the ribcage the pain radiates to the middle of my back and the center of my chest.  Like a burning sensation.  I avoid eating as much as possible to help the pain not be so intense.  I notice when I do eat I have alot of belching along with intense pain.  The pressure builds and builds and is relieved by belching, but the pain is still there and persist. The pain has been so bad that many times it wakes me at night. I had similar symptoms last year and seen my doctor and he ordered a ultrasound, catscan and nothing showed up and he sent me to a gastrologist and he wanted to do a endoscopy, but by the time the surgery was scheduled my symptons had improved so much I had decided not to have the endoscopy. From the time I had seen my doctor to the endoscopy a month had past. I am concerned that there may be something more serious going on and wonder if I should have the endoscopy or go back to my Doctor.  I am afraid of not doing the right thing and possibly this being something more serious. I have also been on Diovan for my blood pressure for about 2 years.  Please let me know your opinion and what you think this could be.  Thank you very much!
Dear Lisa,
I strongly encourage patients with recurrent or persistent symptoms of abdominal pain to see the doctor.  Only by doing the appropriate tests can a cause be determined and specific therapy begun.  The negative ultrasound and Cat scan represent important pieces of information.  Additional tests including endoscopy may be needed if pain persists
I think you should see the gastro for the endo. It is not surgery and is only mildly uncomfortable. Besides, they may even give you an amnesia type anesthesia. It would rule out some problems and give him or her a place to start looking for the cause of your pain. It sounds a lot like gall bladder to me, but I am not a health professional.
Just another note: have you talked with your primary physician since the visit to the gastro? If not that's the place to start. I have had 5 or 6 upper rt abd pain attacks about 5 hours after eating. Bad pain. After an ultrasound, which couldn't locate my gall bladder, my doc ordered a nuclear scan. This also couldn't locate my gall bladder. I am in limbo, waiting for my doc to get back with me and suggest the next step. I haven't seen any other post from patients who have had such scans without finding the gall bladder. I don't know what it means.
55 year old hysterecotomy done with known acid peptic diease. have got severe radiating pain on the left side of my abdomen. Endoscopy done two years back revealed errosive gastritis and on treatment.Now USG abdomen shows stone in the gallblader (gallbladder) with prominent pancreatic duct.kindly let me know what i should do?
If the pain is aggravated after eating my quess is gallbladder.
An ultrasound and CT should reveal the presence of gallstones. Sludge may take more diagnostics.  In the absence of gallstones or sludge a test to measure gallbladder contraction might be performed. In anycase you must first get to the doctor. If the pain gets to be imbearable go to the emergency room.

I had my gallbladder removed a few months ago preceded by pain similar to yours.  

Good Luck
Sounds like either gall bladder disease or something related to your pancreas.  More likely gall bladder.  You need to see your doctor ASAP and get to the bottom of it.  Don't wait.
Sounds just like my gall bladder pain too.  I've had mine removed and feel much better.  The pain you're experiencing is serious so please see your doc ASAP but don't be afraid to mention to him that you've had several people tell you that it sounds like the same pain they had with gall bladder trouble.

Good luck.
I am a 38 year old female.  I have had a persistent pain in my back and in my right side under my rib cage for the past couple of weeks.  It feels like a lead weight, and is very uncomfortable.  If I eat soups, it doesn't seem to bother me as much as eating a regular meal.  I can't lay on my side for very long because it is very uncomfortable and I end up on my back most of the time.  Could this be my gall bladder?  Is there a diet that I could go on, or are there things I should stay away from?  I'm afraid to go to the Drs. for fear of surgery.  I've taken tylenol, it doesn't relieve the pressure and I've tried Tagamet HB200, it hasn't helped either.  Please help me!

Thank you!

Terri
Terri,

You need to go to the doctor as soon as possible.  You could have gallstones or any number of other problems.  If gallstones block your bile ducts, you could get an infection in your pancreas (pancreatitis).  THIS IS POTENTIALLY FATAL!  The longer you wait to see a physician, the more serious this could be.  Why are you worrying about surgery before you even know what the problem is?  You can always refuse surgery, but you should get diagnosed and then explore your treatment options.  Surgey could save your life.  Laproscopic gall bladder removal is not that bad.  You will be out of the hospital in a couple days.
LISA,
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE A HIATAL HERNIA. I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE THE ENDOSCOPY. ALTHOUGH, HIATAL HERNIA IS USUALLY IN THE MIDDLE. I HAVE ONE AND I SUFFER TERRIBLY. A FEW TIPS FOR YOU. DON'T EAT AT NIGHT AND IF YOUR GOING TO AT LEAST DON'T EAT UNTIL YOUR FULL. THAT IS WHAT I FOUND AGGREVATES THE MOST. I STOP EATING AT 6:00. IF I EAT AT NIGHT I WILL BE UP SICK AND WILL NOT GET SLEEP. HAVE THE ENDOSCOPY. I DID. IT WASN'T BAD. I DIDN'T REMEMBER A THING. VERY GROGGY AFTERWARDS.  
                     HOPE I HELPED,  CARA
I have been there and done that, I know about the pain you are referring to...Have them check your Gall bladder, not for just stones but for a gallbladder that just doesn't work, I think the test is called a hida scan with a cck, my gallbladder was removed on the 10th of Feb. so far so good...Good luck to you
I had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed in Dec. I had burning, pain and pressure.I also have gastric erosions. My pain and symptoms are still with me .I had an endoscope done and an ERCP done. There sending me for a colonoscopy on thursday. I will keep you posted if i can give you any info or if someone can shed some light on this?

I have gone to the doctor and they are doing another ultrasound and a hidascan to check my gallbladder.  I have pain eating just about anything.  After any meal I have continuous belching and many times it seems as though it gets trapped in the middle of my upper abdomen causing great pain.  My upper whole right side hurts now.  I just want the pain to go away.  I'm not having the hidascan or ultrasound till March 7th. I have 2 small children and I just keep praying this is nothing to serious.
I am 40 I have crohns, sclerosing cholangitis, acid reflex, I am off work once agin my crohns is active, I have got myself run down my liver functions are very high. My Doctor thinks I can get disability, I have been a hard worker and I go up and down with my on going fight I was wanting to know how long does someone with these problems go on with out a transplant,I also had colon cancer in 1985. I get really tired and run down .What can I do to help things.
It sure sounds like gall bladder (GB).  My husband's ultrasounds couldn't find his GB either and he was labeled 'non-functioning' with contracture test.  At surgery, the doc had trouble finding GB because it was adhesed (stuck) onto liver in such a manner to suggest that it had ruptured at some point.  She said also that he had the tiniest bile ducts she had ever seen and that he had to be very careful with diet etc. and might need a stent put in to keep bile flowing if he has continued pain.  He is doing well 1 year after removal.  Now our 13 yr has gallstones!
I also have pain in the gallbadder area, however I had mine taken out almost 2 yrs. ago.  But remain in daily pain, but for me relief  is wearing an  rubber exercise band or  laying on my right side. I wake up in the morning pain free.  Had all kinds of tests after surgery, nothing shows up.  I did talk my doctor into  letting me take physical therapy. The therapist thought it was constriction of the tissue between the ribs. It did seem to help, as I was losing a few pounds. Therapy has been over for the last two months and I've gained some weight, the more I gained the pain got worse. Could I be pinching my stomach between the ribs?
The pain doesn't start until I start to eat. The  more I eat the worse  the pain.  Thanks for any help or suggestion.
Sounds like a dicky gallbladder.  Pain radiates upward into chest and also through to right shoulder blade.  Try using homeopathic chelidonium and get herbal formula with Golden Seal, globe Artichoke, Gentian, Fringetree, Silymarin and Echinacea.
Use a low dose mv formula with choline and inositol to help liver function and B- Complex or take lecithin. Take acidopholus culture in a powder.  Eat nothing when pain in severe and try cold milk compress.  Reduce alcohol and protein as well as all fats and no dairy especially cheese. If you have a temperature you have an infection - seek medical help urgently.
Catherine: Your response seemed to be to my question about where is my gall bladder. I am having it removed on Wednesday. I hope they will be able to find it and it is not too scarred up to do the laparoscope. Did your husband have laparoscopic even if the g.b. had adhered? And how long was he in surgery?
Hello I am a 32 yr. old female w/ a history of cancer. I have been having sever vomiting and pain in my stomach as well as my mid to lower back. I went to the Dr. friday to make sure it wasn't a kidney infection and also had some blood work done. I have had ulcers in the past but it does not feel like that. Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful to me. My Dr. put me on (please excuse the spelling here)Phengern and something to help empty my stomach quicker as well. Main problem is once I eat it either comes up or if it stays down it only stays for a top of 4 hours then comes back up....undigested...like I had just eaten it. Again...any help with this would be wonderful.
I have had raised liver enzyme count no doubt due to generous
40 units alcohol for several years. Have ceased this but now have dull ache underside of right ribcage and lower back ache.
What are the early signs of liver or pancreas failure?Try to kid myself thats its muscular but I guess not. Any help?
I am a 39 year old male in relatively good overall health with a history of spastic colon (IBS).I've been taking librax for years and still am for the IBS. I had been having upper right quadrant pain, belching, and gas for some time when in July my Doctor suggested Gallbladder Surgery even after all the usual test were normal, they did boold, urine, upper GI, CTSCAN which showed sludge, The radioloigist told me it wasn't uncommon for people to have sludge and then to be gone at a later time, often seen in patients that have been lying around in the hospital for an extended period. The Hida scan showed a 50% function and that was enough for the surgeon so we took it out laposcopicly,that was on July 15th since then I have been having right-sided middle back pain approx. 4 inches below my right shoulder blade that wakes me up after only 3-4 hours sleep every night! The longer I lay there the worst it gets it does seem to radiate towards the front upper right quadrant, it also seems to travel downward towards my right lower back. I sometimes have nausea too.The only way to releive this pain seems to be sitting or standing it may take several hours for the pain to stop.Eating doesn't seem to make it any worse or better and I still can't sleep on my stomach since the surgery. I have a constant dull ache just below my ribs on the right side.I have had ctscans, ultrasounds, MRI, colonscopy, endoscopy,MRCP,(No ERCP Thou),Bone scan,every blood, urine, and stool test all negative. My doctors think it might be sphincter of oddi dysfunction, remember this pain did not exsist before my surgery. Are the above symptons that of (SOD)????  Please help! Doug
I have just recently started to have a pain on my right side just behind my ribs under the right breast and sometimes in the back too.  I have had an ultrasound to determine gall stones, I have had a upper endoscopy which just showed a lot of redness in my stomach and upper intestine.  Chest x-rays to see if it is a bruised rib.  Nothing.  I am taking methylprednisolone(cortisone) and ULTRAM a pain killer and it only dulls the ache but does not alleviate it.  The pain is worse when I walk and move around.  No real reflux problem or heartburn because I am taking Prilosec.  I am frustrated and don't know what to do next, is this normal?  Help!
I've had severe mid and rt abd. pain for the last 4 days.It all started Sat. March 4 after supper and the pain was so intense that I was admitted to emergency.Since then i had blood work and urine tests and an ultrasound done.All the results came back negative.I forgot to mention that the white of my eyes were canary yellow from Monday to Wednesday.

please reply because no one here seems to be able.
Thank you
I had a ultrasound for gallbladder and a hidascan which showed my gallbladder was okay. I still feel tenderness on my upper right side of abdomen/chest.  I am having a endoscopy next week. I am now eating much better, but still have the belching quite frequently and I am worried even more now because when I breath deep my right side of chest is hurting??  I wish I knew what was going on.  Still very concerned.
RE: Andy who wrote in march 8 2000.
Jaundice is the cause of yellow tinged skin and yellowing of the eyes, which may be a liver problem..Please go back to your doctor and tell them about your eyes and anything else that you've noticed which you you don't think is normal for you...Good Luck
Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions.  I am now scheduled for an gastroscopy & colonoscopy tomorrow.  I had some bright red blood in my stools the other day and my Dr. wants to now also do the colonoscopy.  I am so concerned.  The pain under my ribcage and right side is still there and now seems to be radiating to lower right abdomen and lower back. I am able to eat better now but I still have the severe belching when eating and stools have changed alot in consistency from very soft brown, firm kelly green w/mucous, to brown with bright red blood on surface that I can tell.  My blood test look good and I had a hidascan which was normal and a ultrasound of gallbladder,pancreas & liver which was normal.  My doctor keeps telling me not to worry to much and that he doesn't think it is anything to serious.  I had a ct scan last year of abdomen, upper GI, and ultrasound which showed normal. If anyone has any other suggestions as to what may cause these symptoms I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks!
I recently had pain in my lower right side.  I thought it may be my appendix.  Went to the doctor who examined my abdomen and suspected adhesions from previous total hysterectomy.  Doctor ordered ct scan of abdomen and pelvic area.  Ct scan showed probable diverticulosis, some prominence of the right renal pelvis, a tiny stone in the right kidney, and also two sub-centimeter cysts on my liver.  I had a colonoscopy last August, which was completely normal.  I have one every few years because I've had a polyp removed before.  Shouldn't this diverticulosis have been seen when the colonoscopy was done?  I'm not terribly worried about the kidney stone, but I am very concerned bout the cyst on my liver.  What causes cyst on the liver? And also, what does it mean to have prominence of the right renal pelvis?  Thank you for any help you can offer me.
Comment to Lisa:
I have had very similar symptoms that you are describing, except I have had my gallbladder removed and have had problems since.  The pain, etc are similar.  Please post again with updates after your tests. Thanks
For the past 2 1/2 years everyday,I have had pain in the right upper abdomen, which spreads to the back from around the ribcage. (The pain follows the lower right rib to the back below the shoulder blade) The pain usually occurs after I eat,particularly later on in the day. The pain is relieved if I walk, or work out and is aggravated sitting down. The pain does NOT wake me at nite.
  I have had an ultrasound(5/98), Upper GI(7/98), NUclear gallbladder test(3/99), a colonoscopy(6/99) and a spiral contrast CT scan(9/99) all came up negative. I also have facial and neck blushing(may or maynot have anything to do with this) I have taken 4/5 different types of meds with no relief. I have seen 2 Drs. and one gastologist and none of them have a clue. At first I thought pancreatic cancer but the docs. said I would be dead a long time ago so they ruled that out. What could this be? Please somebody help me. Thank you!
Had the colonoscopy and gastroscopy.  Normal except did note I had a spastic colon.  I go back to see my Dr. in a month.  I will keep posting to update.
Hi everyone!!!   I a, a 26 yr old female and have had my gallbladder out since I was 18yrs old.  Ever since then I have had problems.  The most recent one was that I had a liver abscess while i was pregnant with my second child.  I am also having reacurring rt side pain radiating to my back.  The doctors have done almost every test that they can do, I cannot handle doing an upper GI because I cannot do the drink thing.  I had an endoscopy done and it was unremarkable, the docs want to do a hidascan but have been unable to do because of schedule.  I was put on prilosec for the abdominal burning sensation that I have been having.  My liver function and sedrate have all been comming back in the high normal range, but after all of the cts and mri's the docs can find nothing wrong.  I have been sent to a urologist because they think that the pain is caused by frequent urinary tract infections.  I have at least 2 UTI's a month if not more.  I was put on a prolonged treatment of a low dose antibiotic to see if that would stop them and it hasnt.  My daughter has been diagnosed with kidney reflux and the docs think that is what I have, but from what I have read there really is nothing that they can do about it in adults.  My question I guess is, am I nuts, the docs seem to think so.  I dont think that they are taking me seriously.  I dont know what other kind of a test that I can ask for.  No on eseems to know what is wrong with me. I have lost 40 pounds because I am unable to eat properly.  No belching or worsening of the pain when I eat, just no appetite.  I had these same symptoms when I had the liver abcess (abscess), but they cannot find one now.  There is even  a longer history, but I just want to know if I am nuts or not and what can I do????????????   Help!!!!!!    Joy
This is to Keven who wrote on Sunday, March 19, 2000.  I have the EXACT symptoms as you do!  I have had this problem since October 1998.  I have been to the emergency room, all tests done, (endoscopy, hidascan, upper GI, Barium Enema)  All came up normal.  Was on all kinds of acid reducers from Zantac to Prevacid to Prilosec, most 2-4 times a day.  Those made the symptoms worse.  I gave up on tests and doctors.  They all tell me that nothing is wrong with me and that it is just in my head.  I would like them to say that if they felt this kind of pain!  The only thing that has helped me to control it are 2 things.  1) Vitamin A once a day with a meal, and 2) Silica Plus for hair which is horsetail extract (you can find it in a health store).  Take with meals.  It helps.  I can eat anything I want.
You can e-mail if you would like at ***@****.  Let me know how you are doing, or if they found anything yet.
Karen
My friend has had a pain in her belly, and bloating for nearly a month now.  It has at times been joined with a very sharp stabbing pain between her shoulder blades.  She saw a doctor the first week he  prescribed an anti biotic and told her to wait a week, she did and it did not help.  He gave her another anti biotic and told her to wait another week.  Also he referred her to a specialists. Of course the specialists could not see her for a week. The night before the specialists she thought she was having a heart attack and went to emergency. The doctor there said it was common for gall bladders to resemble a heart attack.. She is only 37.

Any way she saw the specialist he did a sonagram one day and the scope thing the next.  He took a biopsy during the scope and told her to come back in 3 weeks.  She is taking 1 aciphex a day and it has only been two days but she still feels terrible. The pain is always there after a meal.  Please tell me is this normal treatment is there a way to speed the process.  How long does it take aciphex to work before you call the doc and say hey it ain't working.  She is in terrible pain and it has gone on way too long.  Please help me help her.
I have gor pain in the upper side on the right and sometimes on
left ,it can travel below to the hips
Lisa;
Hope you are doing OK. I, too, have had the same types of pain as you: a donut of pain slightly below and to the right of breastbone; topical pain around right ribs; becoming worse over time and then pain between shoulder blades; pain increased when bending over; shortness of breath - all of which seems worse when I sit for long periods, but then activity can cause severe shortness of breath and general movement often makes the pain so bad that I can only sit and slump.

I am convinced that I have a hiatal hernia and I just had an upper GI this morning because my x-rays, ct, ultrasound, and flexible sygmoidoscopy were all clear. I have had these symptoms since last July when they started out as a shortness of breath and a minor discomfort at the bottom right of my ribcage. But the symptoms have gotten slowly, but steadily, worse such that I can no longer put in more than a half-day's work without quitting from the pain. Over the past month, I had had physical discomfort when I swallow and I could feel the food pass through some sort of stricture near my breastbone.

With the doctors drawing blanks, I began to feel desparate. I literally saw myself dying soon if things continued to degenerate as they have been. Then, one day I awoke feeling better and relatively well-rested. Sleeping has not been too good, so this was promising. I looked over what I had done the day before to result in this improvement. I tried to replicate all the previous day's activities without producing any change until I ate what I had the night before: CAYENNE PEPPER. When I mixed a small amount with some herbal tea I was drinking, I felt an immediate easing of the discomfort near my breastbone. I have now come to believe that the cayenne stops spasms of the lower esophageal sphincter.

I was then led to think about GERD (acid reflux). When I did I found out some amazing things - like my unexplainable asthma that came upon me in Nov. 1996 and my oral surgery necessitated due to severe jawbone erosion. Both of these were explainable by stomach acid making its way to the mouth and in the case of asthma, a straightforward aspiration of stomach acid into the lungs.

Still, the reflux didn't answer all the symptoms and I looked into the hiatal hernia symptoms. As I reconstructed the events when the symptoms first began in July 1999, I remember trying to lift a very heavy object overhead (and failing after straining to lift it into place). It was some days later that the symptoms commenced. I thought the symptoms would pass and so lived with them until November - but they only grew worse.

I turned to my family doctor who suspected it was gall bladder. He ordered ultrasound and x-rays but they showed nothing. Since I was still able to make it through the day (with a lot of ibuprofen), he did not seem overly concerned.

About that time I had noticed a change in how my body handled gas. Where before I was prone to flatulence, I now found gas escaping as shallow burps which produced some pain at the top of my right shoulder. I now believe this is due to the incompetent esophageal spincter induced by the herniation / distension.

With the negative tests, the doctor thought my rib pain could be costal chondritis and advised I wait it out and give the symptoms a chance to subside. Well, they didn't. My doctor left town but my symptoms did not.

When I got my CT in February, things became decidely worse. Whether this was caused by the toxic salts I was given or a merely a coincidence is unclear.

I have sympathy for you. You've got pain, no answers, and responsibilities which are now hard to fulfill. As for myself, I have accepted the fact that something is wrong and won't go away on its own. I just want to identify it and fix it, if possible and fix it fast. I am 52 yers old and in pretty good health otherwise and find it depressing to see my muscle tone disappearing as my activity level has dropped due to pain.

If my problems stem form hiatal hernia, I am hoping that lathroscopic surgery can fix it. I don't need to tell you his is getting pretty old. Good luck and I hope to read a post from you that things are improved.
Last year I had a gallbladder attack and a stone lodged in the bile duct and then caused pancreatitis.  I have recently been having pain and tenderness below my right rib.  What can this be?
For the past five years I have been experiencing a dull pain under my right rib area. It does not dause me any great distress, I'm just more or less always AWARE of something there. Five years ago when I first decided to see my Dr. about it, he sent me for the scope to rule out an ulcer,which it did. The dull ache has persisted but for the last 14 months has been accompanied by HIGH PAIN ATTACKS in the mid section of my breast bone area. The attacks come on suddenly, usually at night when I'm relaxing or sleeping. They last usually between 45mins to 2 hours. The pain is NOT a burning, (I had heart burn and indigestion when I was pregnant and these symptom are deffinately different), the pain is more of a pressure that seems to build and build until I feel like it's going to rip through my chest. It also radiates out my left shoulder blade. the contractions as I call them, then begin to subside only to begin again seconds later. I finally went back to my Dr. who blames my gallbladder although a recent ultrasound shows no stones. The specialist whom I was referred to however says it can't be my gallbladder if there are no gallstones. He blamed reflux and put me on tablets however I have had an attack while on these pills. I went back to my Dr., who still believes my gallbladder is at fault, and he referred me to another specialist for May 1st. The attacks leave me tired and in some pain the following day. Anyone else think it's my gallbladder?
Yesterday I blew my nose and all of a sudden my whole stomach seemed to lock up with pain. Which made me go to the ground. I am 40 Years old. This radiated throuout my whole loser torso. It also hurts thru the middle of my back. I went to the hospital and they took xrays of my front and back, also blood and urin workup. They say all are fine. They suspect I pulled something internally. It predominately hurts in my soloplexes. Now a day later, it is sill a dull pain throughout. Has anyone had something similiar.
This is a responce to Nancy who had her GB taken out and continues to have pain. Please e-mail me I am very interested in how you are doing. I had my GB taken ou in January and continue to have intence side pains since the surgery the Dr.'s act like I'm just a wimp or something but I've had two children naturally one without pain medication so I must be able to withstand a lot of pain. Anyways this pain usually gets worse through out the day and I was in so much pain and on pain killers all of the time and I haad to quit my job now that I'm a stay at home mom the pain seams to be less frequent but still gets pretty intence at times. I don't have insurance anymore since I had to quit my job so I just live with the pain. Is there anything you have found that makes it better or worse? ***@****
I, too am searching for answers about this abdominal pain. I have soreness/tenderness on both sides around my waist mostly, frankly I'm worried sick!!  The only thing that eases the pain/discomfort is Ibuprofin. I take two in the morning and two at night. My colocscopy last year revealed spasms and some diverticulosis. I'm concerned about taking so much Ibuprofin. I'm going to see about it soon. Does anyone feel like me? Could it be my spleen? I'm afraid of what it could be... I haven't noticed any blood in my stools, I do have some nausea, no vomiting. What do you all think?
i'm 29, have had pains in my back for THREE years. Always after I eat or drink something. About a month ago, it started happening in my "V" area (my wife says it's in teh same spot as a woman's ovaries) a few inches below my belly buttom, then about two inches over on both sides. this pain stays there most of the time, but also is worse after I eat or drink.
about a two years ago i went to the doc, and he did an ultra sound and it came back negative. then he did a chest x-ray. Negative.
i went to the doc again last week, urine/blood was negative, this week i'm going for another ultrasound.
Any ideas?
This is a response to Lesley.
You've describing my symptoms as if I told you what to say.  I'm a 34 yr/old male, had an ultra sound and the results were unremarkable.  Doc. has had me on Pepcid 20mg, didn't change anything.  The pain is persistent but bearable most of the time.  What did or have you found out was causing your problem?
***@****
This is a response to Lesley.
You've described my symptoms as if I told you what to say.  I'm a 34 yr/old male, had an ultra sound and the results were unremarkable.  Doc. has had me on Pepcid 20mg, didn't change anything.  The pain is persistent but bearable most of the time.  What did or have you found out was causing your problem?
***@****
hi last june i had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed thru surgery as it was full of grape pip sized stones,also the cistic duct.  it took 3 weeks in hospital to recover and i felt so ill. after two weeks they discoverd that i had picked up the flesh eating super bug known as m,r,s,a. i never thought i'd see my kids again as i was put in a sterile room no visitors. i also had to have my bile ducts rinsed and a t tube put in which stayed there until august and a calangiogram showed no leekage.
        i had been suffering classic signs for 12yrs and it had got to quite a bad state now. 1yr later i do feel better my strength has returned and my want, to do things. however i am going back in two weeks time as i think i have a hurnia in the site of the wound,when i lift the toddler up i can feel something poping just under my chest.
I am 25 years old and 7 months pregnant. When I was only two weeks into my pregnancy I had emergency surgery for what they thought was my apendix, but actually turned out to be fatty tisue that had disconnected from my stomach and got infected.  They removed that and went ahead and removed my appendix while they were there.  Now, at 7 months pregnant, I have been to the hospital in pain to find out that I have several small galstones.
Unfortuatally there is nothing they can do until the baby is born.  The thing that confusses the doctors is that, instead of food irritating the stones, food helps the pain go away.  I usually have the pain when I am hungry(usually first thing in the morning)and when I eat the pain goes away.  Unfortuatly, I am
usually to nausous to eat.  Does this sound familar to anyone?
I have  been  through  all the tests and have  a pain on the the  right side around  the  floating  rib area .I have  had  chest x rays  I had  ultra sounds of  everything  in  the  abdomine an upper gi  a colonoscopy  and  more,  and  have  had  nothing  turn up .It  doesent  change  when  eat or at least I havent  noticed .  The  only  time  I remark  that I do  not  have  the  pain,  is  when I wake  up in the  morning,  but  by 12 oclock  in the  day  its  back  and  never  goes away  .  Its  not  a pain I cant  deal  with  and  its  just  something  I always  aware of  It is at  the  same  level  all around  the  right  side  in  the  liver area . a  few  beers  doesent  really  change  the  feeling  one  way  or  the  other  it  feeles    more  or  less  like  someone  pushing  on my  side on  the  lowest  rib  I wish I knew  what it  was  I have  another   exam  comming  up on aug  the  22/00  ill  keep  you poasted  .  I  DO  HAVE  A SLIDING HIAITUS  HERNIA   AND  HAVE  REFLUX CONTROLLED  BY ZANTAC  AS  NEEDED  BUT  I  DONT  NEED  IT  OFTIN .  IF  ANWONE  ELSE  HAS  A  DIAGNOSES    OF  A  SIMULAR  EXPERIENCE  I WOULD  LIKE  YOU  TO  TELL ME  AS WELL  PLEASE  AT  ***@****
Hi, I am a 41 yr old female who has severe right side pain from the rib cage to my hip and around my back. I am also having stabbing pains in my lower back with aching and pain down my left leg. And on top of that I have terrible muscle spasms in my shoulders and upper back. I do have a 5 level fusion in my neck with plate etc from a auto acccident that was performed 14 months ago after 2 years of tests and not one Doctro out of five saw anything on the 2 MRI's and 3 CT Scans and 2 Myleograms.
I know these are from stress. My son who is 22 yrs has Large T cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma that is terminal. HE has approx a year.
I am concerned about the pain in my side and in my lower back, it has gotten to the point of not being able to concentrate at work, I am tired from not sleeping. This started about 3 weekd ago and has only gotten worse. Any suggestions?
I have been having pain in right side and around the rib cage to my back and sholder blade. I also hurt on my left side and sick and have pain in my stomach.
I have been going thru pains in my chest, belching, right side abdominal pains and back pains for 10 years.  I have been on Tagments, Zantac and  Prilosec.  They would only releive me for a little while.  I had a bad pain to my right side and went to urgent care.  The doctors said I need my gallbladder remove it was infective.  I have been in pain for so long I just hope the removal of my gallblader (gallbladder) work for me.  By reading I have gotten different reaction after gallblader (gallbladder) surgery, some good and some bad. I pray that the pain of belching which is not lady like go away.  
I too know the pain from gallstones . When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my second child I started having gall attacks and developed pancreatitus (pancreatitis) . The pain from both conditions was almost as pain full as giving birth . I was told that six weeks after I gave birth to my baby that I would have to have my gallblader (gallbladder) removed . Three weeks after the operation the pains reterned . I had an ERCP done but found nothing . I have had numerous other proceders done but still nothing was found . The doctors made me feel that it was all in my head . As the weeks whent by the attacks were geting stronger , lasting up to 1,1/2hrs and were coming at least 5 times a day . It was geting to the point where I was felling like not wanting to go on . I was taking 8 Panadine forte , 4-6 Buscupan a day and some times Morphine injections from Hosptial Emergancy .  My fiance's mother told me to try her chiropractor as she had heard that other people have had good results with simular experiences . I have been going now for approximitally five months and the attacks have improved drastically . Now I have one or two attacks within a three week period , if Im lucky some times longer and they are not as stong . I no longer have to take daily pain killers ( only when I have an attack ) . Even thoe the attacks have not conpletly gone I'm starting to get my life back . I hope my story may be able to help someone out there .
Good Luck !!
Good Luck !!
In response to John S. April 11, 2000 and Kevin March 19, 2000

I have many of the same symptoms as both of you (lower rib pain  which had increasingly gotten worse, difficulty breathing at times, pain worse with sitting and as day progresses--much better lying down--and yet can still feel upon waking, although not as severe), and I have had EVERY Test under the sun and even surgery (a hysterectomy because it seemed it was endometriosis that was causing the pain-it wasn't). 5 years ago I had gallbladder surgery (complicated by pancreatitis).  I started having pain in November '99 and it has not stopped.  Tests to date include: CT scan, Bone scan, x-ray, upper/lower GI, many blood and urine tests, ultrasound,etc. and NOTHING!  Pain management was all that was offered.  My ribs have been injected for possible costochondritis (NOT!) with no change. I have lived on Advil,etc. but that is not healthy either.  Acupuncture has been recommended.  Many of the people listed previously have mentioned having gallbladder surgery previously.  I wonder how many other things we all have in common that could be causing this painful problem that Doctor's don't seem to have a clue about and make you feel as if it's all in your head, which of course it isn't!
Anyone on this site that has any thoughts about this can email me at ***@****.
ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE AND I AM NOT CONFIDENT WITH MY
SPELLING.
BUT I HAVE FOR EVERIONE WITH GALLBLADER (gallbladder) A GOD ADVISE
TRY EGGPLANT JUICE. EVERY MORNING DRINK FRESH EGGPLANT JUICE.
IF YOU CAN HANDLE THE TASTE 8OZ WOULD BE GOD.
DO IT FOR 10 DAYS. IT HELPS BY STONES OR GALLBLADER (gallbladder) DISFUNCTION
IT HELPD ME.
ST.JHONS WORT PILLS ARE ALSO GOD FOR IMPROVING GALLBLADER (gallbladder) FUNCTION AND FOR DEPRESION TO.
I HOPE YOU ALL ARE GOING TO FEEL BETTER.
SPELLING.
IT HELPD ME.
SPELLING.
IT HELPD ME.
SPELLING.
IT HELPD ME.
I have had right lower and upper (it moves around) for what will be two years in November.  It started out with an ovarian cyst, then another, then I went on the pill (Jan. '99).  Pain remained, then I had a CT scan, which was negative.  My gyno did a laporoscopy in May of '99; nothing showed except a few adhesions which she said shouldn't have caused such pain.  In July,'99, I went off the pill, and immediately formed another cyst; went right back on the pill.  All along, the only thing that helped with the pain was Percoset (which knocks you out!).
In the fall of '99, I went for an abdominal ultrasound, upper GI, and an IVP (checks for kidney stones).  The urologist I saw said that it was a kidney stone, so I had a cystoscopy in Nov. '99; the doctor couldn't find the stone!!!!!  Back to square one...  All along something said appendix to me, so I went to see general surgeon, and he removed my appendix through a laporoscopy (Apr., 2000); the pathology report was pos. for acute appendicitis.  Happy endddding??  No!!!!!!  At the beginning of August the pain came back.  Now I'm taking Vioxx, it helps sometimes.  I had anotheer CT scan last week, ovarian cysts again.  I don't know what to think anymore!!!!!  The whole thing has totally worn me out.  What I would give to be pain free for a month (or even a week!!!!!!).
I HAVE RECENTLY HAD PAIN IN THE UPEER RIGHT MIDDLE OF THE CHEST. THIS HAD GONE ON FOR A MONTH OR SO. THE PAIN IS ALWAYS THERE ALSO AN EMPTY FEELING IN THE SENTER OF THE CHEST BELOW THE STERNAM. WENT TO THE DOC. AND DUE TO THE THROWING UP IN THE MORNING HE HAD PUT ME ON PREVACID NOTHING HAD CHANGED FOR DAYS. SO I CALLED AND WENT BACK IN. WHEN HE PUSHED ON THE GALLBLADDER AREA I FOLDED IN HALF . SO HE SET ME UP FOR THE NEST AVAIBLE ULTRASOUND. THAT TEST WAS TODAY. THE DOCTOR DID PUT ME ON AN ANTIBODIAC CALLED LEVAQUIN SOMETHING PRETTY NEW AND THAT IS ONCE A DAY PLUS THE ANTACID. WHICH THIS ALL DOES HELP SOMEWHAT BUT I STILL HAVE PAIN I AM ONLY TIRED IN THE DAY ALSO . I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS
I'M 48 YEARS OLD, WITH 0+RH FACTOR BLOOD TYP.
IN FALL OF 1999 I WENT FOR MY 3RD MASTER CLEANSER CALLED:
THE LEMONADE DIET FOR 10 DAYS.DURING CLEANSING PERSON CAN'T EAT, JUST DRINK COMBINATION OF WATER,FRESH LEMON,CAYENNE PEPPER AND
MAPLE SYRUP.
DURING MASTER CLEANSING I WAS ON MY WORK TRIPS ALL THE WAY.
AFTER 10 DAYS I DID TEACH MY STOMACH BACK FOR TAFF FOOD, WHICH BECOME WITH FRESH ORANGE JUICE.IMMEDIATELY ON THE SAME DAY I RECEIVED YEAST INFECTION WHICH APPEARDED IN MY MOUTH.
I DECIDED TO BRAKE UP AND GO BACK TO MASTER CLEANSER UNTIL 18 DAYS WITH KNOWLEDGEMENT, THAT THIS COULD HELP.
DURING 5 DAYS OF TEACHING MY STOMACH BACK TO NORMAL I HEARD SOME
NOICES TIPICALLY FOR STOMACH WHICH IS FULL WITH FOOD.
BUT THIS ONE IT'S DIFFERENT.
I DO HAVE THOSE LOVELY NOICES ANYTIME DURING DAY.
APPROXIMATELY HALF YEAR AGO I STARTED TO HAVE PAIN UNDER
"PLEXUS SOLLAR", WHICH PAIN FROM DAY TO DAY RAISING AND ADD IT
TO THE LIVER.
I DO HAVE ALLWAYS UPSED STOMACH WITH FILLING,LIKE PERSON WHO JUST
FINISHED GOOD EATING, BUT I'M NOT.SOME TIMES REACTION FOR FOOD IS CHANGING AND I DO FEEL,THAT I HAVE TO EAT ANYTHING IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE II NOT I JUST DIE.
IN EVENING IS THE WORST AND FOR LAST SEVERAL DAYS AT EARLY MORNING I DO HAVE NEEDLE PAIN THERE.
I DID STOP DRINK MILK, BECAUSE OF STOMACH REACTION.
MY STOMACH SIMPLY CAN'T TAKE ANY DAIRY PRODUCTS.
I'M NOT STRONG DRINKER, BUT I STOPED DRINK ALCOHOL COMPLETALLY,
BECAUSE AFTER USING IT I DO HAVE HEAVIEST FILLING ON MY STOMACH.
SIMPLY I CANT EAT ANYTHING WHAT IS HEAVY LIKE FRIES, MEAT ETC.
I'M LOOSING WEIGHT AND I DO HAVE COLD FEETS.
MY TANG IS ALLWAYS WHITE AND IT'S COME SOME DAY'S, WHEN MY BODY IS ITCHY AND I'M FILLING TIRE EVERY DAY.
I'M NOT UNDER ANY KIND OF STRESS.
I WENT FOR ANY TESTS WHICH ARE AVAILABLE IN WESTERN MEDICINE AND
RESULTS ARE POSITIVE SO I WENT TO NUTRIPATH DOCTOR, WHO TOLD ME,
THAT I DO HAVE ULCER LONG TIME AGO AND ON TOP OF THAT SOME KIND
OF STOMACH INFECTION,BUT RESULTS FROM WESTERN MEDICINE ARE AGAIN
POSITIVE!!!
I DID RECEIVE FROM NUTRIPATH DOCTOR SOME HERBS,BUT DOESN'T HELP.
SO IS IT HERE IN THIS WORLD SOMEONE WHO CAN TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME,OR WHAT I DID WRONG AND WHAT I HAVE TO DO BE AGAIN HEALTHY?
PEOPLE PLEASE DO HELP ME.
MY E-MAIL IS: ***@****

Hi there!
I found an old posting of yours on urq pain and wondering if you ever found what was causing it.  I am also emailing a copy of this to all the other people I can find on-line that have this problem.  If you have time, let me know if this has helped you with a return email to: ***@****  FYI:  I have had every test out there with
I have been having craps in my abdominal area for the past two weeks.  Mostly they seem to center around my left side just under the rib cage.  They just seem to come and go fairly quickly (5-7 seconds).  I also seem to get them in the lower right half of my belly about three inches to the right of my belly button.  I have to admit they are not very painful but after two weeks I am getting a little concerned.  If I press in the areas that are having pain there is no additional pain, during the cramping or after.  I experience no fever and can detect no other changes in my health.  I have not changed my diet in any dramatic way.  I don
has anyone ever heard of gas build up in your colon,and it's symptoms?
A related discussion, Abdominal Pain was started.
A related discussion, Its not gall stones then what is it?? was started.
I am 20
i hav pain on flesh of upper stomach...but its not deep ...its hurting when i wear shirt on my skin too ....plz help
My name is Crystal. I am a 34 y/o female with multiple medical conditions, to give u a background I will list any pertaining possibly to the stomach issue I'm posting about. I have celiac disease, sjogrens disease, GERD, past bowel obstruction, and a long list of other conditions but will not list them all as I don't feel they'd effect the problem I've been having. I have been in and out of hospitals for the past 8 months now, due to almost monthly episodes of vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, dehydration, and low potassium. my current issue is this. I have Sharp right sided abdomen pain below the ribs, which radiates to my low back (both sides). This started last night, and when it began I felt nausea too. I only have the pain now. I often feel ill after I eat, but not always. I strictly follow a gluten free diet. All the hospitals do is give me fluids, zofran, and potassium. They then send me home. I am trying to get into the GI Dr my family Dr suggested, and can never reach his office. Now my medical benefits were temporarily cut off due to an error which will soon be fixed. my last endoscopy was 15 yrs ago when my celiac was diagnosed. what could this be, and what should I do from here? I have lost 50 lbs since last yr due to my stomach problems. please do respond, if not here my email is ***@****. thank u kindly!
I have been having the same sort of problems for the last 6 months they have done neally every test eg CT bone scan ultra sounds blood tests x-rays and everything is normal the gall bladder and all that are all fine and there is No gall stones I am running around in circles and the docs have no clue what it could be iv had endo and colo and still everything is normal the pain is so bad that even pain killers don't help with the pain n feel vomity every day the pain starts from the 2 lower floating ribs and hurts down to my hip bone .... Can anyone please help me
I am a 27 year old female with abdominal pain in my middle upper abdomin (abdomen). It usually starts in the early morning hours and last for quite a few hoirse sometimes all day.  The pain is usually paired with back pain and vomitting.  I have been to the doctor and have found out i have gall stones but they are not inflamed.  Any one have any ideas?