Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper right abdominal pain occurs during my period

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

For 9 months I've had upper right abdominal pain that comes on slowly 1 or 2 days before my period, gets severe by the 2nd day of my period, and slowly subsides over the course of the 5-6 days. The pain is in the same place every time - just below my ribs and 2 inches to the right of my navel. At it's worst, I can't bear to touch it. I can't walk around because the jarring makes it worse, nor can I sit because any tightening of my abdominal muscles aggravates. It is painful to take a deep breath. I'm losing 1-2 days/month due to the pain. I've had a pelvic sonogram, upper ab. sonogram, upper ab. CT scan, and a HIDA scan, all of which were negative/normal. My gyn doesn't think it's gyn related but suggested I have my IUD removed just to see. She ruled out endometriosis as I have no other symptoms to indicate that. My gastroenterologist was sure it was my gallbadder until the test can back. Also,she is mystified by the relation to my period. I'm a small person (5'2", 117 lbs) but gain 5-7 lbs during my period. Is it possible that the bloating is putting pressure on the gallbladder causing the pain? Or perhaps a nerve so it's not gastro related at all? I'd appreciate any thoughts you can offer.
I too had that pain for more than a year now. It is recurring and I had my liver and pancreas checked but the doctor found nothing. I have done some research and i found out that the abdominal muscle can be the cause of the pain. It it is the culprit, it's always harmless but anyhow, get a gastrointerologist to check on you. Update me on the result of your test. Maybe i can learn something from it. Good luck
I have experienced that type of pain. It happened during pregnancy and at other times as well. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I can't move until it passes. One doc told me it was just my uterus stretching for the baby but that does not explain why it happens when I am not pregnant. It does not really disrupt my life or anything, it usually stops hurt within minutes. I don't know if that helps but I just thought I'd share. Take care.
Thanks for you comment. I've said all along it felt more like a muscle pain than anything else - especially since it's very tender when touched. All the Drs. just ignore this possibility. I'm having both of the "oscopies" on my gastos advice to "complete the picture". If they show nothing - I'm going for accupunture.
A related discussion, abdo pain upper right side during menstration was started.