Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What are some of the Causes of High Liver Enzyme and how dangerous is i...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What are some of the Causes of High Liver Enzyme and how dangerous is it??

My brother has been currently diagnosed with a high liver enzyme, 50% above normal. He is overweight and does drink too much sometimes. Our doctor has told him to stop drinking for 6-8 weeks and to get in better shape. Also he is going to have an ultrasound of his liver. Basically, I want to know how serious this elevated liver enzyme is to his general health, what could possibly be wrong with him, and the treatments out there. Thank you
1 Comment
Good luck to your brother when he goes for the Ultrasound.

How long as your brother been drinking???
Does he drink everyday???

The reason why I ask is because a colleauge of mine is 45 and he has developed an enlarged fatty liver due to years of drinking starting at a young age.

The doctor has told him to quit and he has and he is taking vitamins, milk thistle etc and everyone is quite optimistic about his recovery as long as he can stay off the bottle.
Thanks for letting me post a comment.

Liverhealth
I HAVE HAD THE SAME AILMENTS FOR OVER A YEAR AND A HALF. I'M 26YRS OLD, WENT TO SIX YEARS OF COLLEGE, PUT ON 45LBS IN COLLEGE AND DIDN'T WORK OUT. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MONO(THEY SAY I HAD IT FOR AWHILE),HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND HIGH LIVER ENZYMES POSSIBLY DUE TO MONO. MY LIVER WENT HEPATIC BUT I NEVER HAD HEPATITIS. MT ULTRASOUND WAS FINE, NO PROBLEMS. MY BLOOD TESTS AFTER 104DAYS OF ABSTINENCE SHOWED THAT ENZYMES RETURNED TO NORMAL. I RESUMED DRINKING MODERATELY AND THEY WENT UP A LITTLE BIT. I DRANK HEAVIER AND THEY WENT HIGHER. A YEAR AND A HALF LATER AND MY ULTRASOUND TWO WEEKS AGO WAS FINE, NO PROBELMS. I HAVEN'T REPEATED MY LAST BLOOD TEST BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO CLEANSE MY LIVER WITH MILK THISTLE, WATER AND EXERCISE. ALSO, I LOST 45LBS A YEAR AGO AND IT HAD NO BEARING ON THE ENZYMES BUT IS GOOD FOR YOU OBVIOUSLY. MY MAIN DIAGNOSIS IS HIGH ENZYMES DUE TO DRINKING WHICH I DON'T FEEL LIKE QUITTING AT MY AGE. I'M EXPERIMENTING WITH HERBS AND DETOX TEAS. I'LL POST MY RESULTS. GOOD LUCK TO YOUR BROTHER