Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What can she eat? Even water tastes like metal.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My mother has been having these symptoms since last november. It started with extreme thirst, now it's gone. She's experiencing weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea, dizziness, metal taste in her mouth when she drinks water. She was taking horse chestnut, Venastat, last summer for her swollen ankles. Could this be the cause of all her problems? She's now being checked for liver diseases. Meanwhile, she's not eating properly. She asked the doctor for some advice but he told her nothing could be done until all her tests are in. We already know her enzymes are elevated (Alt, I think) but not that much compared to what I've read on this board! Any advice on how she could maintain an adequate level of nutrition until she gets a proper diagnostic on her condition?
I would also like to add that she's constantly coughing due to her sinuses.
She should try drinking Boost. That will help. Has she tried eating bland food, like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and yogert? Some of those foods helped my mom.
How is your mom doing now?
Has she had her water tested?  Could be high iron or copper in the pipes?  just an idea...I think that is our next test we are gonna do!  Good Luck, God Bless!
I take some medications that make alot of my food and drinks taste metallic and I have found that the metabo-life shakes and, lightly seasoned chicked dishes, flavored rice(in small quantities), pastas(with suauces that aren't to tart), anything with tuna or shrimp, lunch meats(sandwhiches with lettace, tomatoe etc.), have worked really well for me, as well as green beans with a small amount of butter, peas, brocoli and cheese.

I would stay away from really cheesy dishes, red meats unless in small amounts as they always tasted like metal too me, but I guess it's according to tolerance I guess, Pork dishes, but Bacon was always ok to me and sausage too, califlower, spinache, esparagus, and alot of starchy foods.

Pretty much any fruit tasted fine to me but grapefruits were too tart to me.  But again the tolerance factor plays a card here.  The bananas and toast mentioned in the post above along with the yogurt is an excellent idea.  I eat it all the time.  It digests really well, has alot of nutrients, and protein and will giver her energy.

I hope this helps you out some.  I am not a nutrisionist or anything, I am strictily speaking of my own experiences, but again I hope this helps you in some form.  Let me know how your mother fares out.  Good Luck and God Bless you and Her!
I would like to thank everyone who has answered so far. I've given your advice to her. She also wants to thank you for your kindness!
My mom passed away 3 months after her gallbladder surgery. It appears her body starved itself. The Doctors could not give us a better explaination. How is your mom now? One big thing I can remember my mom complained about was that strawberries were very bitter to her. Sorry to give you a little bad news. I'm sure its not related, but now I know how important it is to believe in your symptoms.
I'm sorry to hear this about your mom. My condolences to you and your family! Meanwhile, my mom is eating but not much. She still has a lot of strenght in her, so we're still hoping for the best outcome!
Again, I didn't want to upset you with my Mom's story, but since the Doctors are telling us they can't find a reason for her death, something happened that shouldn't. they did tell us that maybe in 10 years or so they may come up with something. They said it took them a long time to find AIDS, that maybe this is a new epidemic that will require research. Maybe they told us that to make us a little more at ease, I'm not sure.