Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
clear

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

clear

I am a 35 yr old woman, 5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child.  A few days ago I noticed cloudy mucus attached to my stool, with continued bowel movements I noticed sometimes it was clear or cloudy and this morning I noticed it was white ( similar to discharge from a vaginal yeast infection)It is not a lot of mucus, I just happen to notice everything, and sometimes within the past few days I have not seen any in certain bowel movements.  I do not see any blood, I have no pain, My bowel movements are relatively normal other than the mucus.  My diet has been constant except for 2 dinners, 1st consisting of Flank steak and the 2nd being skirt steak - the timing of this mucus does coinside with the 2 new meats intoduced to my diet.  I eat meat occasionaly just not flank or skirt steak and I've never had this problem before.  I called my primary who said it could be a virus or a touch of colitis and he was not concerned - easy for him to say.  He said to call hime if it continues over a week - it's been 3 days.  I'm nervous about colon cancer - no history but that wouldn't be the first time.  I have 2 small children who need me and 1 on the way - I must be around to raise them.  Does anybody have some reassuring words/ or not?
Read up on "Dysentery".
Dysentery?  Unlikely!  Symptoms are abdominal pain and diarrhea for dysentery, which is caused by bacteria from unhealthy and unsanitary living conditions and polluted water.  I doubt "waiting" has experienced these conditions.

Mucus in the stool is seen with IBS symptoms, as well as colitis.  Other gastrointestinal problems could cause this also.  The specialty of doctor to see would be a gastroenterologist, they can do a stool test to determine the cause.
I was browsing the net on this subject and came upon this forum.  I have been having the same problem.  Reading your post was like you reading my mind.  What I fear, etc.  My stool has been this way for over a month.  It's so frequent.  I even suffer from accute gas and the mucous is expelled during this time too.  It isn't expelled just during a bowel movement but the gas also.  My gas is so severe that I have to relieve myself at least 30/40 times a day in the RR at work.  It interferes with my job, etc.  Though like you other than the mucous everything else is normal.  Well my bowel movements are more frequent, but nothing really unordinary.  What should I do, who should I see since my symptoms are a little different?
I just wanted to say you might need to go to gastro.  This same thing continued to happen to me last year, they at first thought it was a bit of colitis, but it continued I ended up in hospital and had C. Dificle an infection in my bowels.  It was easily cleared up, but I was not pregnant either.  Don't let it get out of hand, insist on them at least doing a stool sample.  God Bless you and I will pray for you.
A related discussion, Mucus in colon was started.