Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
elevated sgpt liver function, enlarged liver

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have had over the last few years a slightly eleveted liver function (sgpt?)in the 60-75 range (normal 40 or below). I have had numerous blood tests over the last two years (and everything that you could find as a cause in the blood has been ruled out - hepatitis, liver storage disease, etc.) I went to have an ultrasound and the said that the liver was enlarged, and that the surface of my liver was not smooth (as a normal liver would be) or had variations in it ( a normal liver has no surface variations)
  Any idea what could be causing this or what it sounds like could be the problem?
__________
dear jefff,
Ultrasound demonstration of an irregular texture for the liver can indicate many possibilities from fatty liver, to hepatic inflammation to even cirrhosis.  If you have had a complete evaluation to exclude alcohol effects, the possibility of medicine or industrial hepatotoxicity, viral hepatitis, autoimmune liver disease and metabolic disease, then the most likely explanation is fatty liver.  The only way, however, to be certain of the diagnosis is to do a liver biopsy.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: hepatitis
0.2