Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
finally had colonoscopy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

finally had colonoscopy

after about 2 yrs of worry I finally kept my appointment and had my colonoscopy today,   following an episode of bleeding I went to my pcp who sent me to a gi for follow up,   gi wasn't too concerned due to my age (37) and no other symptoms.  wanted me to sched. a colonoscopy just to be sure,  after cancelling 3 appts. I went today and finally got it done.  What a breeze,  now I can concentrate on other things.    To anyone who might be in a similar situation,   don't waste time,  just get checked out.  2 yrs of worrying was resolved in 20 mins.

good luck to all
I'm 29/f and I have to have a colonoscopy done on Thursday. (01/23)  Last Tues.  I woke up in the middle of the night with severe abdominal cramping/diarrhea.  Took Immodium and felt better till the next day.  My symptoms came back but this time it was bloody diarrhea.  Well.... it was more blood and mucous than stool.  My dr suspects colitis.  Today makes a week and I still have the diarrhea but not the blood.   I'm terrified and thinking the worst. What was the results of your colonoscopy?
I'm having my colonoscopy tommorrow..I am 29 female w/ mucus and positive fecal occult..I am scared...
Just wanted to wish you both the best of luck with your procedures.  Also wanted to throw this option out to you.  If you have trouble getting down the prep the doctor wants you to take, ask them if you can do the stuff put out by fleet.  Its a small bottle that you take 2 doses.  Not very hard to do and I was okayed by my doctor to use it instead of the gallon of stuff.  I also as a precautionary measure did 2 enimas the morning of the procedure.    I just want you to know this because some people get sick trying to do the prep.  Believe me, its the worst part.  Best of luck to both of you.  Please let us know how you do.
results were normal...only slight diverticulosis...had alot of the same things you describe on and off...things seem much better since i got the results...Dr. says I need to relax  hope all goes well for you thurs....
hadf my colonoscopy and everything was normal..no polyps no obstructions..the only thing I had a problem w/ was the prep..I have been dry heaving and now vomiting up everything I've eaten ..I am also very nauseous..the colonscopy was a breeze..I've been diagnosed w/ functional bowel disorder whatever that is???
had my colonoscopy done and they took a biopsy.  the dr said my colon looked ok all but a small piece of the descending colon and he thought it was a "touch" of colitis.  He said he didn't see any indication of ulcerative colitis or chron's disease but he would wait for the biopsy results to know how to proceed with treatment.  he told me if diarrhea comes back to take immodium.  does anyone know what the difference is between colitis and ulcerative colitis?  if mine was bad do you think they would have prescribed medication right away?

birdiejade and ashiepie, I'm happy you both are fine.
ok...i'm 15 and my doctor suspects chron's disease. I might have to have a colonoscopy, and i'm scared to DEATH. what is the procedure like. is it possible to have chron's even if you don't bleed? cuz i don't bleed, and i don't want to have chron's disease. i just finally want an answer to my 10 years of abdominal pain. yeah, it's been happening since i was 5 and i'm just now getting it taken care of. any advice? or do you think it could be something else?
I am chronic patient of diarrhea for the last 20 years and now I am 43 whatever I eat it comes out through the loose motions. I have tried many GI specialiests and medicines but to no effect except IMMODIUM. Now one week back Dr conducted my Colonoscopy test and has described it satisfactory. Although its a slightly painful procedure but very important to diognose. Dr has not taken anything for biopsy as it was all clear.So I suggest dont worry about it and go for it . God will help you.
Colonoscopy is a snap. You won't remember nothing. The worst part is the prep. Drinking the yucky clear liquid is the worst part of it.

Basically I just put my beer drinking skills to practice when doing it and just chugged a glass of it as fast as possible every 15 minutes.

At the hospital they will put you out and the next thing you know they will wake you up to go home. I had both the colonoscopy and endoscopy or gasoscopy... and I don't even remember them spraying the back of my throat.

Don't think about it....Just do it!