Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gallbladder removal and kidney problems?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am having my gallbladder removed in two weeks and wanted to know if having youir gallbladder removed can effect your kidneys in any way?  I was concerned that my liver would not function as well therefore possible cuasing problems with jaundice or kidney stones due to the bile salts, is this possible?

thankyou
1 Comment
Hi: its so weird you say that, I just had my gallbladder removed,
Had an ultrasound, radiologist called Dr. and said had to come out asap.  My Dr. was on vacation, nurse took the call and set up surgery, she said they were concered about the stones causing
"renal blockage" I thought she had here organs mixed up cause, after all she wasn't the doc. I thought she probably meant blockage to the pancreas?? I go back Monday.  Although either way, they said mine did have to come out to prevent complications.  Cause I was reluctant. I know exactly how you feel, Keep us posted w/ your post, we learn from each other!!
I had gall bladder out in January.  Only had one gall bladder attack.  Surgery is not bad.  Only at the hospital two hours exactly off the operating table.  Have heard of others who had same surgery with more difficulty if the diagnosis was missed because the pain was in an unusual area.  If you wait and a stone gets stuck in a duct, the only option is open surgery.  I suggest getting it over with.  Relatively little pain, compared to other surgery I have had.  The pain pills with codeine made me more nauseated, but some take codeine w/o this side effect.
I had my gall bladder out in 1987. Ahh, the good old days where they cut you from center to side and then add a rubber hose below that for all the leftovers to flow out.
I've never found any doctor who says there is any chance of kidney or liver damage just from having your gallbladder removed. I have begun to wonder though. Right now I am sitting with very high ammonia levels and all my liver tests come back normal. Docs have stopped 2 meds I take for bipolar thinking they were causing it. Ammonia level only climbed. Big mystery for me but I'm usually 1 in a million shot anyway.
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were you. IF you have some complication in 15 yearws I'll bet they'll have a shot or something to fix it real quick.