Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
hives following bowel movement

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

hives following bowel movement
Dear doctor,
I have experienced hives (intensely ithcy, bumpy skin) after somes bowel movements for about two years.  This has slowly increased in frequency but always has been a very intense response.  It nows is causing me a lot of concern.  My skin all over my back and legs and sometimes neck becomes very itchy and red shortly after a bowel movement.  This urticaria lasts for about 15 minutes and slowly subsides.  This does not happen every time I use the bathroon but when it does it is a very painful experience.  I am otherwise in very good health, 39 years old with no other problems except exercise induced asthma and itchy skin when I exercise.  This itching with exercise improves after I have exercised consistently for a number of days.  Also, I never sweat very much.  I do get pretty severe gas occasionally.  
Any advice or direction on who to see would be most appreciated.

Hello - thanks for asking your question.

What you are describing is known as urticaria (hives) - it affects up to 25 percent of the population.  I an unaware of a disease that causes hives in the setting of bowel movements specifically.  The following are among the potential triggers for urticaria:

Drugs
Physical contacts
Stinging insects
Latex
Aeroallergens
Foods and additives
Infections
Mastocytosis
Thyroid disorders
Two rare genetic disorders, familial cold autoinflammatory syndrome, also called familial cold urticaria, and the Muckle-Wells syndrome can also cause urticaria

Basic laboratory tests includes a CBC with differential and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).  Biopsy of the urticarial lesions would also be considered.

As for a specialist, I would suggest an allergy/immunology referral which would help in the evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
you might check into carcinoid syndrome in the lower bowel.