Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
incisional hernias

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

incisional hernias

Has anyone who had gallbladder, nissan, or any abdominal surgeries ever had hernias after their surgery? If so did you have them repaired? What did you feel like and what about adhesions? I had a lysis done and my adhesions grew back and I was wondering if anyone did it twice. I can't take this burning and pinching and I'm sick of the loratabs. I've been to pain management and they give you anti-inflamotory medication and I can't take them. Any suggestions out there? I am at the end of my short rope. (^.^)
I need help with this PLEASE-- I need to know I'm not alone with my problems with hernias.
E-mail me at ***@****
I'm not at home right now--taking R&R. I will be going home tomorrow and I will e-mail as soon as I get my computer back on line--it blew. Thanks for answering my plea. I hope you can help me.
I have had two incisional ruptures in the same location. One was after nissen fundoplication, which I had repaired with a mesh screen. Last year I had an esophagectomy, and they entered through the same site (a nine inch incision from breat bone to navel). About four months later, another incisional hernia appeared in the same location. I have put off having it repaired because I have had complications from surgery in the past, and am sick of operating rooms. The hernia is getting worse, and my physical activity is limited to walking. I wouldn't equate it with pain, though. It's more of a periodic discomfort in my case. I have followed your posts in the past, and know you have had many more incisional hernia's that I have, so I cannot offer any real advice. My thoughts are with you, though.
I had a very large incision from anterior spine surgery and have an incisional hernia right below my waist, in the front, to the left of my belly button.  I had the hernia repaired about a year after the initial surgery.  It was great while the Gortex patch held, but has returned to it's original size.  

I'd love to have it repaired again, but I doubt anyone would want to open up by abdomen again.  When I was recovering from the hernia repair, it took a long time and a lot of treatment to get the wound to heal properly.  I understand that some doctors are repairing incisional hernias laproscopically.

Not that it helps, but the spine surgeons at UCSF avoid incisional hernias by "taking care to close meticulously."  It would be nice if all surgeons used such techniques.

Good luck!

--Linda

Well now I don't feel so alone. As I said in another post, I'll be having a gastroscope done and I pray that the acid hasn't eroded what they fixed. I've had nine incisional hernias in two years and just had a lysis done for nothing. The burning and pulling has returned along with the stomach problems. Does this ever end? I know I am a high strung person, but I stay active and try to stay busy with my arts and crafts, but lately I don't have the energy or the want to do them.