Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
involuntary muscle contractions in my throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

In the past year I have experienced either 2 or 3 involuntary muscle contractions in my throat.  Neither had to do with eating anything. One time I was sitting and reading, another when I was walking through a store.  However, they were so strong, I was truly frightened. It started off with the feeling you get when you feel you may begin projectile vomiting. The strength of the contractions stays the same and it may last as long as two minutes and then goes away.  Time wise they did not occur in close proximity to one another.  When I was in the store I rubbed my neck with pressure, trying to make it dissapate. I can't say that had any affect, it just made me feel like I was doing something.  Can anyone tell me what in the world this could be.  I am 63 and in good health otherwise.  I first had this happen to me maybe four years ago, but then only once.  Maybe once a year since, until this year. Do I have anything realistic to worry about or can I forget it and just consider it some kind of body quirk?  falean
You may be having esophageal spasms. Do you have any problems breathing when it happens? Do you ever get heartburn? I suggest you see your doctor about this, especially since its frequency has increased.
I do not have an answer for you but I have panick attacks and
I know now that when this happens all the muscles in my throat seem to tighten right up. That is all I get with panick is the feeling that I cannot breath for a while and then I am okay again!