Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
lump in throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

lump in throat

i  was sitting on the couch yesterday and a small hard knot popped up on my throat under the jaw bone right above the gland, or on it i am not sure because it is so close .it fills like a small pointed knot no larger than a pea .as you may know from my other post i have many health probs portal varices ,lesion on left temporal lobe /epilepsy ,hep c, full hystorectomy,colon surgery ,appendix removed ,mvp,ibs,diverticulitis,gerd,cirrhosis, rhumatoid arth.,and several other surgeries and health probs,these being the most important (i guess)my question is, what could this be?, or could it be related to the above mentioned? .it seems a little tenderand just a slight sting, but not real sore .thank you for your time.god bless wishing you well
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

I have previously answered a similar question from my private research service.  I will reprint my answer here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You asked the following:
"My throat became enlarged. Swallowing is a little difficult, though not much, but the enlargement is pronounced - I'd say roughly the size of half a kiwi fruit. Do you have any idea what this could be?"

I am going to give possibilites - you understand that without meeting or examining you, I cannot give a definite diagnosis.  

Here are all the possibilities of what a neck mass could be.

>From Medline Plus:
"There are many causes of lumps in the neck. The most frequently seen lumps or swellings are enlarged lymph nodes, which can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, malignancy, and other rare causes.

Enlargement of the submandibular salivary glands (under the jaw) may result from infection or malignancy. Lumps in the muscles of the neck, almost always in the front of the neck and involving the sternocleidomastoid muscle, result from injury or torticollis. Lumps in the skin or just below the skin are often caused by cysts such as sebaceous cysts.

The thyroid gland may also produce a lump, multiple lumps, or swelling in the neck as a result of thyroid disease or malignancy. Most cancers of the thyroid gland are extremely slow growing and often curable by surgery even if they have been present for several years.

CERVICAL (NECK) LYMPH NODE ENLARGEMENT
1) bacterial
strep throat
other types of bacterial pharyngitis (sore throat from a bacterial
infection)
cat scratch disease
tuberculosis

2) viral
infectious mononucleosis
HIV disease (AIDS)
rubella (German measles)
viral pharyngitis
herpes infections

3) malignant
Hodgkin's disease
non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
leukemia
metastatic oral lesions (mouth cancer)
thyroid
Grave's disease
goiter
carcinoma

4) other
allergic reaction to a drug (medication)
food allergies
other allergic reactions"
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003098.htm

The number one risk factor that you have to know when a patient walks through the door with a neck mass, the first question that we ask them other than how long has I been there and these kind of things, is "Are you a cigarette smoker?" because then that increases the likelihood of that being cancer by a very very high percentage. And of course alcohol is synergistic with tobacco. The duration of the mass is also important. If the mass has been there for a couple of days, it may not be quite so significant as a mass that
1 Comment
this lump can not be move it is the size of a pea or a little smaller and it fills hard to the touch also just this morning i coul fill a slight cracking or popping like you hear with rice crispies (if that makes any sense to you )in the area of the knot when i turn my head .ther is a slight stinging sensation in the area but at this time no pain .nothing that happens to me makes sense any more i just deal with it as my health goes along so i hope i am not a great bother, my health is just realy bad and this sight gives me confort in helping to at least come close to understanding some this mess i am going through .i am greatful for your responce and the time you give ,thank you and god bless .wishing you well
A related discussion, the throat/horseness was started.