Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
nausea loss of appetite

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

nausea loss of appetite

I would be grateful for your advice, opinion and details of the tests if any i should be requesting from my Doctor for my symptoms below

I am 28yr old male with no prev medical conditions, and of average health

6wks ago I had a fever diarrhea & low left abdom was swollen but no pain, this lasted on & off for 3 days being worse at nights - for the most of December my stools have been loose,light yellow coloured, easy to pass & lots at a time

My bowels in the upper left region had been making unusually loud noises - gushing sounds and liquid noises and generally feeling rigid and swollen lower down, but with no pain - at night the noise would be worse and continue for about an hour

I have had re curring low grade fevers , night sweats, dizziness, loose bowel movements through Dec and passing of gas noises sound very different almost blocked.

In early Jan for 1 day I had a twitching & burning sensation both in my middle back left and front right - I was prescribed Anti B's and anti spasmodics by the Doctor for this / prev symptoms

I started feeling nausea at the end of Dec but have never vomited and have now recently lost my appetite and have been forcing myself to eat quite a few times. Since my symptoms started I have lost about 8 lbs . When I do eat it seems as though my digestion is struggling to process and absorb it properly and I can link eating to the night sweats and general feeling of being unwell afterwards

I passed a dark greasy stool in early Jan, and I returned to a different doctor who took me off the anti b's. my bowels no longer make the previous gushing noise and now are still very active with more crackling & gas sounds than liquid sounds
I also notice that the skin of the fruit I eat is passed though un-digested and comes out in a small ball shaped floating stool
My previous indigestion which was quite frequent has also stopped.

I am waiting for blood and stool sample results next week

Today I woke with the urgent need to pass a stool and also with cold shakes/shivers, as usual (for the last 6 wks) the stool wasn't solid and was yellowish

Once I am up and awake I feel at my best, but still no appetite, nausea and run down/tired - in contrast at night I feel weak and poisoned, my tongue is white and my eye whites dark

I have not had any acute servere pains or vomiting or blood in my stools in the 6wks, but I can clearly feel the mechanics of the digestive system are not working correctly - i have not travelled abroad for 3yrs so i cant relate it to travel

The embarrasing point of this note for me , which may have part to do with my symptoms , although the doctors I have seen say it doesn't - is that 2wks prior to my first symptoms during a sexual act I inserted a metal probe I don't know if this disturbance gave me an infection & caused my symptoms to start.

I hope you can offer some advice of what tests I should be looking to have and thank you for your time

Steve

There can be many possibilities.  With the nausea, various causes of upper GI diseases can be considered an evaluated with an upper GI series and/or upper endoscopy.

The liver and gallbladder can be evaluated with an ultrasound - since any diseases involving these organs can lead to some of the symptoms.

The change in bowel habits as well as fever can be indicative of an infection.  I would obtain some stool cultures to rule out any source of infection.

If everything is negative, then more specialized testing can be considered - including a colonoscopy or tests looking for malabsorption (i.e. fecal fat tests or tests for celiac disease).

You may want to be evaluated by a GI specialist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
steve I would think the metal probe could of caused an infection. or you may of ripped the lining of your colon. did you disinfect the metal probe before using it. becazican