Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain below left rib cage
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pain below left rib cage

My husband is suffering from pain below his left rib cage for past few months.  This pain starts within half an hour to one hour of meals. Pain is usually more when he has full meals. He has hyper acidity problem for past few years. He usually doesnt have heartburn but this particular pain reduces when he takes antacids. He does not have inflammatory bowels but has soft, mushy and regular b.m.

Can anyone help understanding whether he has problem with stomach or problem with colon???
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
Your husband could have several things. Left sided pain is most likely stomach related.  Usually if it gall bladder its right upper quadrant pain and about 30 to 40 minutes after eating a fatty meal.  If its an ulcer.  Food usually makes it feel better initally then as acid is pumped into the stomach it will feel worse.  You husband needs to see his doctor to discuss an Upper GI series which he will drink barium and it will tell you if he has a hiatal hernia/ulcer/ etc.  You husband should ask his provider about prilosec/nexium/aciphex (one of those) to help w/ his symptoms.  Your husband needs to keep a pain diary and bring it to his doctor.  Onset of pain, duration, radiation, intensity, what makes it better/worse.  Hope that helps.
KJK
Blank
Hi everyone

after a about a year of problems with various gastro issues, i have been feeling a lot better until just recently. I now have a nagging, burning sensation that is mainly at the top of my stomach but sometimes underneath my ribs, both sides. It isn't really a pain but just like something is burning down there. has anyone any ideas what this could be.

thank you
Blank
Your husband's symptoms sound to me like gastritis - stomach inflammation. He might try to eat smaller meals and other measures to keep the acid levels down, such as avoiding alcohol, coffee, chocolate, and spicey foods, and cutting down on meat.
Blank
check the pancreas
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker