Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain near navel on right side what is there?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have been getting a recurring pain for the last year to two. It may be weeks or months before it happens again, sometimes it happens regularly (like a few times a week as of lately). It may last a couple hours or a whole day. Then it subsides and I forget about it for a while.

My question is, what is located here? The pain is exactly two inches to the right (my right side) of the navel. It is about the size of a quarter to half dollar. It feels better usually if I put my hand over it and apply pressure.  Sometimes I think it is a gas bubble or a colon obstruction as the massaging the area seems to help sometimes and I have a lot of gas and fluctuating stools.  It will disappear as quickly as it comes but remains a little sore for a day. There is no swelling.

I have looked, the gall bladder looks too high, the appendix too low....?
I have no job now and no health insurance so I have not mentioned that to my doctor yet. (It would be just another reason to be denied health insurance should I get a job, but that is a whole other animal). It hasn't killed me yet after all this time so I am hoping it isn't serious. Such is my reason for putting this off.

I do get night sweats all the time, for two years, I am constantly hot or cold, but do not run a fever (98.2) although you could fry an egg on my stomach at night.  I am a 50 year old female in menopause on hrt (Femhrt). I have been on hrt for about 8 years as I went into menopause early. I think I need to stop the hrt I think but I don't want to go crazy with hot flashes and emotional stress which is why I did the hrt in the first place. I am thin, albeit very stressed, and don't eat often. Fatty foods do not seem to trigger it, altho cheese or dairy may seem to aggravate it (not sure)

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks, Dotti
You are right in that the appendix is below the area, and the liver/gallbladder above the area.  Both those diseases can atypically present in the area in question.  Other things to consider would be irritable bowel disease or inflammatory bowel disease (specifically Crohn's disease).

You can consider an ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gallbladder, as well as a CT scan to evaluate the appendix.  To evaluate for inflammatory bowel disease, you can consider an upper GI series with small bowel follow-through, or an endoscopy.

You can discuss these options with your personal physician, or consider a GI evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
you could have a mild hernia in that area...i know you dont feel a bulge but it could be      good luck
interesting thought (that would probably be better than the alternatives!) I had never thought of that.  I suppose there is no help if that is the case short of surgery. Does the Doc weigh in on our questions here?
Are you a woman? If so, it could be an ovarian cyst (cyclic), or even just ovulation pain.
Oh, I just saw your second post, so yes, you're a woman etc.

Well, it still might be an ovarian cyst, if it's not to do with your color or something. I realize you're probably not ovulating any more, but you are on HRT, right? It could keep things going. Anyway, good luck and hope you resolve it soon.
I think its too close to my belly button, not near the ovary? It feels nothing like ovarian pain?
If it is Crohn's disease you may well need a colonoscopy. Crohn's typically starts with inflammation around the terminal ileum which is next to the appendix and appendicitis is often misdiagnosed for Crohn's. My Crohn's started (34 yrs ago!) with pain around the appendix area, but is now throughout the whole gastro tract, mouth to anus.  I still get pain in that area although the diarrhea is under control with methotrexate.
Take care, Liz.
You may be lactose intolerant - I have had the same belly button pain and it lasts for a day or so then is sore, then goes away, usually if I eat cereal or cheese.. (I also have Crohn's, but this is not related as far as my system goes...) Try refraining from milk, cheese, etc. and see what happens. In the meantime, if it happens again, try a very warm compress or a heating pad for the soreness and drink lots of water, and take some probiotics.
So many tests, so little income, and no insurance. I have wondered about Chrohn's but it is so distinct and in such a small area it seemed odd.
Sigh.
The milk thing is something to try, I do love cheese and dairy products and it does seem to flair up after ingesting cheese products.

Thanks everyone for all your input.
A related discussion, same pain 2 inches right of my navel.. was started.
A related discussion, Pain about 2 in. to the rightside of navel was started.
A related discussion, pain in navel ovarian cysts was started.
A related discussion, pain on right side of belly button was started.
A related discussion, Right sided umbilical pain at night was started.