Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain on left side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain on left side

i have a stabbing pain on my left side only- just below rib cage i take tylenol, it takes the edge off of pain. if you push or touch side really hurts, no accidents or anything different done any ideas?
Some people have their Appedix on the left side, it is a fact of life.  If this is a recent thing I would go to the doctor, if it isn't I still would go.
Appendix on left side...I don't think so!  I would think about your descending colon or possibly spleen.  If these two things test normal (spleen with cbc blood test and colon with sigmoidoscopy) I would conclude that you injured a rib/cartlidge and or muscle.  Appendix on left side under rib cage....then you definitely need a doctor.;)
my husband complains of that same pain on his left side.  He fell about 5 years ago and thinks he broke hisrib.  Now he complains of this pain on his left side. I wonder what it could be.  with out running any real test the doctor said she thinks it might be a calcified bone from the fall which he reinjured about 3 years ago.  I wonder if we should still have hi go to the doctor just in case. I know how you feel about the pain it is scary. Tany
I wrestle and what you describe is very common.  Once you fracture a rib or rib cartlidge it often calcifies and is somewhat painful for ahhhh forever i think.  I doubt it is anything more than that if he can account for injury and has had pain ever since...for three years.
I have had the same pain in the left hand side below the ribcage.
And if you touch it it hurts, after 6 months of having these attacks of pain I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis of the colon.
Not a life threatening problem, but one you should take serious,
and see a doctor.  You can learn more about it by typing in the
keyword Diverticulitis on the Web.
Hi I'm a 21 year old female who feels like she worrys about every like ache and pain.  I went to the doctor a few times because I had stomach cramps at night.  He put me on Vioxx and I took those for about a month.  The pain was still there so I went back and he still thought it might be an inflamed muscle or a spasm (nothing to be concerned about).  Well that part seems like it's gone but now I am having pain on the left side under my rib cage.  It feels like a bruised rib or somthing.  I can push under my rib and that's when it hurts somewhat.  I am also having back pains on the left side of my back.  I've had back pains before on the right side due to stress and that is what my back pain feels like maybe caused from stress.  I asked someone today if they had pains under their rib cage and she thought that it could be my gall bladder or possibly my spleen.  I'm not having any other symptoms or signs of either one of them.  I do eat a lot of junk food and probably eat 1 or 2 good meals a day.  Could someone please respond and tell me your opinion and maybe put my mind at ease.  I hate feeling like a worrier all the time.  I'd like to be able to wake up in the morning and have nothing to worry about.  Can your spleen or gall bladder be life threatening, if left untreated?  Sorry for such a long entry! =)
I have a severe pain in my left side just below my ribs. I have had this pain before. It hurts more when I bend over and it causes my whole abdominal area to swell when I am in a lot of pain or do to much. Also, I have an epilepsy/seizure disorder and take the following medications: Keppra, Depokote, and Tegretol XR. I also take Plendil and Toprol, for my blood pressure and Levsoyl for my thyroid.  Could this pain possibly be coming from my liver?  Could the combinations of medicines (especially the Depakote) be causing the liver to flare up/be diseased.  Do you have any ideas as to what is going on?  I have been to the ER for this before and according to the blood work my liver and everything was okay.  However, I know that something is not right.  I am scheduled to see the doctor on this coming Monday.  Thank you for listening to my comments.
My fiance has been having pain on his left side . shooting pains down his arm loss of appetite, shortness of breath, all in his chest area he went to the hospital and all they told him was it was inflamed cartiledge. What ever that is . What I want to know iswhat can be done about this he is still in severe pain and its scaring him. What do they do for inflamed cartiledge. ? please help us.
A related discussion, Similar, but not the same. was started.
i have the same pain too. under left rib. i have had a colonoscopy done, endoscope, blood work, prgnancy tests, ultrasounds, everything & nothing..... im woried cuz i wonder if its my spleen or gall bladder. r those the symptoms??? ive had bloating so bad that my stomach seems swollen and hard to the touch. i do have ibs & acid reflux disease but what can this pain be?? help plz..
I'm a 51 year old male and have had a severe pain in my left upper quadrant just beliw the rib cage for almost 20 years.  It started one evening with sevete pain,sweating and shock. I've had upper GI series, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy etc.  No one knows what it is.  When sitting if I lean over and bend forward left the pain intensifies.  Alcohol makes it much worse.  I've been told it might be pancreatitis or perhaps splenic flexure.  Massaging the area seems to help.  At times I get a sensation like water dripping inside in the same spot and after that occurs I'm exhausted.  Any help would be appreciated.
Hi I need advice! My friend is in agony with pain in her back and stomach! When the pain first come it was on her left side just under her rib cage then the next day it moved to her right side under her ribs and now it is in her back on her left side and the bottom :/ anyone know what it is?
I don't want to scare anyone. But my mother had similar pains and discomfort right under her left rib cage. Sometimes she felt like it was in her back. When she would eat, the food reacted like a acid reflux reaction. She always said something is wrong, just don't feel good today, symptoms would come and go. Started 12 to 16 months ago. In April of this year 2011 she collapsed. Took her to hospital. She had Pancreatic cancer. She passed in may of 2011. if thing's don't get better in a short period of time. Get a scan done if you suspect. Don't wait til its too late. Take care of your self