DIGESTIVE DISORDERS / GASTROENTEROLOGY
FORUM
rectal discharge
by isdale79, Jan 29, 2006
Hello I am 39 and have been having some rectal discharge for about a year now. My wife and I have tried everything from colonoscopy to std testing. I read that clamitia or gonorea can cause rectal discharge but i wasnt sure if that was for gay men only. I am not gay nor have I ever done anything like that. I did not come out positive for any of those STD's so I do not know what else to do. I read someone else's topic about a similar situation and he basically had the same situation as I did. HIs situation seemed very similar to mine. I really do not think that the muscles around the anus is weak . The discharge is definitly very water and could pass the anus without any problems. It is clear and usually starts to come out after I go to the bathroom. I ve taken acidophius for a while and it doesnt seem to be helping much. I've changed my diet to a high fiber diet and it seemed help for the first few days but after that it went back to normal. I ve tried not eating fast foods, oily foods etc. I ve tried eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and it still doesnt help. I work out a lot and thats not helping either. I've tried only drinking bottled water only , and drinking a lot of tea. but it still didnt help. What should I do? Do you think I have some Cancer? but my colonoscopy came out ok. I did all the stool testing and came out good.
Answer:
by Kevin Pho, MDBlank, Jan 30, 2006
The colonoscopy would rule out most of the lower GI diseases.

Loose bowel movements can also increase the incidence of rectal discharge.  Sending off the stool for culture, ova, parasites and evaluation for fat malabsorption can be considered.

Finally, there is the possibility of anal sphincter problems.  An endorectal ultrasound or anal sphincter manometry can be considered if this is suspected.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Member Comments (4)
by isdale79, Jan 30, 2006
I did do the Stool testing and they found nothing we did about 10 different tests... I went to 3 doctors and they had no answer for me. All they could tell me is change my diet , eat the acidphodilus, and hope for the best. This is not the answer I am looking for.
by Brad28, Feb 09, 2006
I have very similar syptoms to your issue. I have had no abnormal sexual contact/activity for a married sraight male.  I am 31 years old and have had syptoms for about a year or more. I was prescribed meds for antispazmatic colon(usualy for IBS sufferers) which had no affect. I have had a flexible sigmoidoscopy procedure done with no abnormal findings.
     Unfortunatly, I have nothing to offer you other than understanding. It would be nice to speak with you about any other findings or advise.
Brad28
by isdale79, Mar 24, 2006
Sorry everyone no Cure ... I thought I had Mawworms a parasite that is found in third world countries. So I took these pills and for a few weeks it was gone. I was dry and felt real good but after the 2nd week I would start to discharge again or leak and it got worse and worse. Now Im back to the same problem. I went to 5 doctors and my last doctor told me that I have IBS Irretible Bowel Syndrome. Not sure if its really that but either way she said there is no cure. She also told me that travelers get this because their body goes through a shock when they go to new places. Which happend to me aswell the day I came back from another state it has been happening. I also think it is stress related too. The more stressed I am the more that seems to come out.
by Coach84, Apr 10, 2006
I have had these similar symptoms too. I'm 31 and I do travel, but I am not convinced that this is IBS because I only have a few of the symptoms for it. In addition to the discharge, I also have a lot of gas, and my stool has been "odd" since this all started. I have had similar results with doctors that you have had, and they basically say change your diet and live with it. I have decided to try a colon cleanse. I just bought some stuff on line and it should arrive today. IF it works, I will let you know. This my be my last hope.
by divine8951, Sep 25, 2009
A related discussion, colon/rectal disorder was started.