Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
sore stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

sore stomach

hi

I have posted a couple of times about tight stomach and thight chest with some sharp pain around the chest sometimes. It was reveled that I had lots of gall stones and that this was more then lightly the cause of my symptoms. I elected to have it taken out as it was giving biliary colic symptoms as well (no harm done) op went well but I was left with the same tightness. On furture evaluation (camera into my stomach) they saw that my stomach and duodenuim were very inflammed and put me back on acid inhibitors.

This problem with the tightness is with me constantly and although the docs are saying that it exsplains all of my sypmtoms I really dont understand the mechanics of it all.

1) I thought that Ulcer/irriatated lining sysmtoms should go away and only appear after eating. Can this be constant like mine

2) they did not say anything about the lining in my esophogus so I assume that it is alright. If that was the case how can my stomach cause me to have tightness in the chest

3) seeing that I have had a lot of heart diagnostics (all clear) why should walking up stairs for exsample cause my sysmptoms to get worse.

This has been dogging my life for at least 10 months now and it seems as though I have answers but I would be most gratefull if you could exsplain how this condition causes such symptoms as I cant stop think it is related to my heart as I dont understand the workings of it.

many thanks

J
To answer your questions:
1) The irritated lining can continue if the cause is not found.  A hiatal hernia, or a type of gastric acid-secreting tumor, can all be considered.  

2) To be sure, you may want to obtain a copy of the upper endoscopy report.

3) Chest discomfort on exertion is certainly suggestive of heart disease.  If the all the heart tests are negative (i.e. stress test negative), you may want to investigate the GI system further.  A 24-hr pH study can be considered to further evaluate for GERD.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have had similiar pain.  Right below the breast bone - a heavy, can't quite get a deep breath feeling.  Cardiac workup all good with me too.  Gastroenterologist said reflux and swolen lining in stomach is gastritis so eat bland foods.  I have also been told the " can't quite get a deep breath feeling" is anxiety.  I too am confused.  I will let you know if I find out anything new as I am seeing a lung Dr. tomorrow.

May God bless you!

I know the feeling it is terrible that you are feeling that way but it nice to know that I am not the only one. Let me know how you get on as I could point me int the right direction. Hope you get answers soon as it is a royal pain having those feelings.

take care

J
Do you have difficultly in breathing and edema in your leg's and feet? The reason I ask is I have the same problems you do along with the diff brth and edema. My cardio Dr ref me to a pulmonary Dr ended up I have pulmonary hypertension. Just a thought.
A related discussion, ibs was started.