Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stomach gurgling noises

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

stomach gurgling noises

is there anyway to stop the gurgling noises from my stomach?  they are particularly loud during long periods of silence  and it gets very embarrassing.  i know part of it is due to anxiety - the more worried i get about the noise, the louder they become.  is there any over the counter meds i can take to stop them?
I have been having the same problem!  For the past 3 months, my stomach constantly has been making noises.  I have been eating two or three tablets of Gaviscon to help control the problem.  It does help some and is available over the counter.  I am also trying to eliminate some of the stress.  I have recently developed other problems, however, and was referred by the ER doctor to a GI.  I'll let you know what he says.

Malayna
I have also noticed that my stomach gurgles when I am nervous or worried or anxious.  I didn't think there was anything that would help that!  Please let us know if you find anything out.
I lost my page and have to start again. Sorry. This started for me about 6 years ago. Lots and lots of noise. Like a slide whistle, moving up and down the scale, popping at the end, and strangely, moving in what sounds and feels like a straight line. Impossible I know. Also, intense growling as though I am starving, when I'm not. Loud groaning and at times as though I had eaten something that my body just doesn't agree with (might be an answer there), or was spoiled food. Believe it or not but the sounds sometimes even seem to be outside of my body, like a ventriloquist. There is also a quivering or tickling sensation inside what I can only assume are my intestines. I hear  noises in my mouth, throat,esophagus. They just come. I don't feel anything when these come the way you do when you have control over a burp or passing gas and they are usually long after I have eaten or drank anything. Now, I don't have indigestion or any kind of reflux, no pain, lots of gas, but not smelly, and at times lots of bloating. I have tried plain enemas and that has helped to rid myself of the air when I am bloated. This all starts whenever I put even a sip of water down my throat. No ant-acids work. No digestive enzymes. Paying attention to what I eat does though and I eliminate those foods. I went through one of those heart-scan things. All my organs, stomach, colon and intestines are healthy. Had a sigmoidoscopy. Had a barium milkshake thing. Can't remember what that is called. Everything is fine, which I am grateful for. I am lousey at stress. That is probably one cause. Cutting out coffee, probably another cause. Paying close attention to what foods do what to me. Probably another cause. Eating lighter meals, exercising more. Another cause. Health, yours and mine are more important than anything else. Work on those things. Here's a good book: Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body, Brain-Gut connection. By: William B. Salt II, M.D. Another thing that I would like to try is this new, tiny camer they have for a patient to swallow. It takes a picture every 2 seconds as it moves through the entire system and is finally retrieved through the evacuation of the bowels. What I like about it is that it finally gives doctors a real chance and a real  glimpse into that all imortant part of the small intestine  that they are unable to accurately diagnose unless they cut you open. The colons, all three, they can get to. The mouth on down to the stomach they can reach as well. The middle, not yet anyway. Good Luck to all and if anyone recognizes any of my symptoms and has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
A related discussion, loud gurgling stomach was started.