Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
sudden urge several times a day...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

sudden urge several times a day...

Since my husband returned from Iraq a few months ago he has been having sudden urges to go and most of the time is in the form of diarrhea.  He says many times he didn't think he was going to make it to the bathroom.  Now today he told me this morning there was also blood.  I believe this is the first time this has happened.  I'm very worried and with his job he can't afford to miss to go to the doctor until Saturday.  Any suggestions as to what might be going on and should I make him go sooner to the doctor??
Thank you
There can be many reasons for loose bowel movements.  Various types of infection should be ruled out.  A reasonable initial test would be stool studies looking for WBCs, ova and parasites and sending the stool for culture.  

Blood in the stool can be related to the infection.  If this is not the case, a flexible sigmoidoscopy can be done to exclude other causes of bleeding - such as hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, or inflammatory bowel disease.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I would absolutely get checked for parasites. There are many different types of parasites and some do not show up on testing.There are many good parasite cleanses out there. Many times the meds that a doctor gives for parasites are ineffective. Do your research on some natural parasite cleanses. It may take longer, but the results may be better.
Although very unlikely there is a chance he may have travellers diarrhea. If he has been living off of MREs for a year or so his body may have a hard time adjusting to new foods or foods he use to eat.

Just follow up with a doctor.