Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
swallowing is painful

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

swallowing is painful

i have for the past yr had problems swallowing (only solids). recently had barium meal which came back as oesophageal dismotility, and a small cervical web.........
when swallowing, i feel food is stuck at the back of my throat, this does make a very slow and excrutiating journey down to the middle of my breasts and there it stays, until eventually, it passes.
i now have an appointment for an OGD.
my question is, can you explain to me in laymans terms, what all this actually means. i understand what the ogd is but as regards to the dismotility and cervical web, i am unsure. i have never suffered with reflux.
many thanks. bev
I agree with the barium test, as well as the referral for the EGD (which is the more comprehensive test).  

Esophageal dysmotility is a disorder where smooth muscle of the esophagus is replaced with scar tissue, affecting it's normal movement.  

An esophageal web is a thin, fibrous, mucous membrane that forms across the back of the throat.  

The EGD would be the appropriate test to further workup this symptom.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com