Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
uncontrolable burping

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

uncontrolable burping

I'm a 25 year old female with no perticuler health problems, I had a full phisicall and blood analysis in April, it was normal health.
3 weeks ago while sitting on the couch I started burping and have not been able to stop it since. Most of the time it sounds like I'm going to vommit, but it's only gas, I also let out loud burps periodecally.
There is no pain involved, I don't have heartburn and have never saffured from heartburn. I have never been burpy before. The only time it dosen't happen is while I'm sleeping. It does seem to get worse the more tired I am, but not neceserilly. I can it and drink regulerly, it has no affect. The pressure seems to be coming from behind my breast bone. It dosn't seem to be worse or better before or after I eat. I haven't changed my eating habbits, I've tried eating only yogurt didn't make a diffrence. It's quite emberessing in social and work enviorments. I have not been under any perticuler stress.

What do you think my problem is? How serious does the problem sound to you? Do I need to look into medical health immidiatly or can it wait a few months?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

As has been mentioned below, air swollowing is the more common cause.  Other causes of increased gas would include irritable bowel syndrome, malabsorption, or dyspepsia (i.e. peptic ulcers, or inflammation of the esophagus or stomach).  

If you have associated symptoms such as diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal pain, anemia, blood in the stool, lack of appetite (anorexia), fever, or vomiting, further tests such as endoscopies, X-rays, or tests for malabsorption may be indicated.

If not, over-the-counter medications can be tried to reduce the amount of gas.  Examples include Gas-X (simethicone), Beano, or activated charcoal (Charcocaps, Charcoaid).  

If anxiety is causing increased amounts of air swallowing, then it should be addressed.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
what you describe sounds most likely to be due to air swallowing. Some people swallow air as a nervous habit, or from stress. Others do it to relieve indigestion or other stomach symptoms. It's not too likely to be something serious if you aren't having stomach pain or heartburn, but sooner or later you need to have a checkup.
I am having small "burps" ...no bitter taste, just seems like air.  As soon as I take a bite, I burp.  Also burp in between meals.  They are little burps; most are so quiet that no one hears them.  I just feel them.
It sounds as if it might be swallowed air,  but I do not see how I could be swallowing that much air.

My only concern is :  I have an enlarged pancreas (But nothing shows to be wrong with it...no masses)  and doctors are having me get CT scans every 3 months to keep a check on it.  
I wonder,  could this burping be connected with the pancreas?
I will be watching this site to see what Doctor answers Rach 78.
I experienced the same thing in 1995, My Dr. told me the same thing surgeon just told you...I had just received an invasive cancer diagnosis and over the next two months all I did was burp, my stomach swelled to the point I couldnt wear my clothes..When I asked my oncologist what was wrong he told me I was literally "full of air" from hyperventilating because I was scared to death...I doubt you have to be scared to death for it to happen.....Take care.....Tessa
how about extra strength GAS -X??
yes i am a 62 year old male last 2 or 3 days my stool has been black,i started taking metimucil fiber laxative it has returned to normal color,but i have noticed a stiffning like pain on rght side mid backbeen too numerous drs and they said h-polira and a hiata hernia and also esophagus trouble as well any help from anyone appreciated thanks dON IN iNDIANA
Hi, did your Dr. do an EGD to diagnose your hernia and "esophagus" problem? If so, what did he say....There are several differnt esophagus complications and problems...Tessa
I did the same thing.  The Dr. said it was esphogial spasms. I can just think about burping and it will start back up. If you find away to get rid of it let me know. clee
I have had uncontrolable burping now for over a year--different times of the day it is worse, and is realted to some foods..I have been told I was swallowing air, food allergies, stomach, hernia, nerves so far they haven't figured anything out yet.. yes it is quite embarrassing..
A related discussion, non-stop burping. was started.