Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
weight loss, nausea vomiting bile after gallbladder removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

hi, i am a 42 old female, i experienced gallbladder attacks in oct.2004, was extremely sick, vomiting, lethargy, the ultrasound showed i had alot of gallstones,(30-40) had it removed by laparscopy, had no problems for 2 weeks, then i experienced nausea 24/7,and then intermittent diarrhea, had a colonoscopy, which was normal, then i had an endoscopy which showed a copius amount of bile in my stomach, was put on welchol and nexium (had some ulcers) did okay for a couple of months, then in june of 2005 i lost 32 lbs in a 3-4 week period, i had no appetite whatsover,severe lethargy,intermittent diarrhea, a feeling of fullness. I  had a cat scan which showed a mass in some fluid down by my rectum. I also had a vaginal ultrasound which showed some debri in my cervix. So the gi doctor told me it was female so i went to a gyn and she wanted to do a total hysterectomy because she thought i had ovarian cancer, the ca125 was neg. my insurance did not cover her so i went to a cancer center and they did a uterine biopsy and she told me my female organs were totally normal. so now i went back to the gi doctor, he did a test that i had to have electrodes on my stomach and i carried a camera on my side,( i cannot remember the test name) came back normal, had a lower gi, normal, was tested for celiac disease, normal, lupus,normal every test that i have had is totally normal, i went to another doctor, she repeated the cat scan, the mass is gone but the radiologist saw another mass in my uterus and he assumed it was a tampon, 100 percent cannot be a tampon because i never wear tampons because they bother me too much! i understand that you are not a gyn but i thought you needed to know everything. i have lost a total of 46 lbs to date , extremely nauseous, which i take phenegran for and it does help, there are days that i have an okay day but 80 percent of my days are terrible, i cannot function, very nauseous and i just want to lay down, i feel better if i lay down, when i vomit its always bile, and lots of it, and it is a wicked wretching, not like a normal puking, and i get very sick, almost disoriented, i feel malaise, i feel like i have the flu 10 x over, i sleep for hours and then this syndrome? goes away and then i can funtion again, i have been so sick for 5 months now, i was fine until i had my gallbladder removed, some stomach pain, but nothing that would double me over , the pain is all over my stomach , sometimes in upper right quadrant, sometimes left side, i want the docter to do a ercp but he said that is not necesary, i was told that sometimes your cystic duct closes and thats when i get sick , feel terrible and then when it reopens i feel better. i sometimes feel bloated, have gas and belching . i went back to the surgeon who removed my gallbladder and he said he found nothing wrong, 3 doctors want to put me on an ani-depressant! please steer me in the right direction, you are my last hope, do i stop looking and give up? thankyou so much
You have had a comprehensive evaluation, including several physicians as well as a variety of tests.  Note that it would be unlikely that I can come up with something without examination.

You can discuss more specialized testing - such as an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry - to evaluate for Spincter of Oddi dysfunction.  This can replicate gallbladder symptoms in those who had a cholecystectomy.  

Other options can include a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for gastroparesis as well as motility studies to evaluate for esophageal dysmotility.  Atypically, these options can lead to the symptoms you are describing.

You can consider these tests with your personal physician or in consideration with a GI evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I just want to let you know that I have had pretty much the same thing happen.  I had my gallbladder removed, all test came back normal except one.  I have had something called a gastric empty scan done. They said that my stomach was not emptying fast enough. I had a huge stomach surgery and now have 2 exits in my stomach. I was fine for 5 months and then got bad again. I have bile in my stomach all of the time just eating away at it. I am down to 95 pounds. No doctor will see me anymore because they say that there is nothing else to do but for me to go to a pain clinic to coat the problem. I am only 28 and have 3 kids. I know your pain trust me, I feel for you. Upper gastric in the diaphram pain, radiate into my shoulderblade, nausea, and tenderness.  I just want to give up the fight.
Thanks for letting me know that there is someone out there with a problem that these dang doctors can't fix.
Janiel
Sorry to hear you are both suffering. I know how it feels. I had my GB removed in March after being told that it would solve my problems (nausea, pain, bloating, etc.) Well here I am almost 8 months later with the same symptoms as before. Been back to the gastro dr.--he basically kicked me out of his office and told me he was "done with me" because he didn't know what was wrong. My family dr. has run multiple tests on me and is very helpful but is at the point where he is running out of tests to do! I am 26 and have 3 children to look after and it is becoming harder and harder to do while feeling so crappy. I have become an emotional wreck because of this.
Please don't give up! Keep trying as I am doing...we will find answers!
Donna
thankyou to janiel and donna for your comments,this has been a nightmare. i thought having your gallbladder was a pretty simple procedure and once you had it removed all your problems are gone. boy was i wrong. no one can tell me what is wrong, i feel like you donna that the doctors are just going to throw me out because they have not found out anything at all. they just want to put me on an anti-depressant and don't callus we will call you. i work in the veterinary world and sorry to say this but i have more confident in the vets that i work with, they will do whatever it takes to find out what is wrong with an animal. i would like the surgeon to do an exploratory but he said they do not do that anymore with all these fancy tests that they have that is pretty much obsolete. well  also have similiar tests in the veterinary world and these ultrasounds or cat scans may come back normal but in my opinion there is  nothing is better than the naked eye, if we can not figure it out we will do an exploratory on this animal and 99 percent of the time will figure out the problem. i guess i am not sure how demanding do i want to be with the doctors, i think they should run a ercp and just see if my cystic duct is closing. the surgeon did tell me that he left my cystic duct. i had it done laparscopic and was not cut, sometimes i think it would of been better to have been cut so they could of done it right. i have had 4 c-sections and i would think their would of been alot of scar tissue, which would  of made the laparscopy harder in my opinion. anyway thankyou both for your input, at least i feel like i am not alone , i hope you both find help as i hope i do thanks again, karin
I too can identify with you except that I don't have four children to raise, just one in college.  My heart and prayers go out to you.  I had gallbladder out in 2002 and now have pain every time I eat.  My gastro dr has tried repeatedly to give me med for depression which is maddening.  I take 120mg of morphine a day and have an intestinal feeding tube.  I have grieved so much to not be able to eat normal.  And want so much to get rid of the pain.  My hope though is in my creator, Jesus Christ.  He has promised that all things will work together for the good for those who love him and are called to his purpose.  I know that in pain and weakness our spirit can still be strong and we never know what impact our suffering is having, such as the development of character and insight of our children.. Keep on fighting.  Our bodies have wonderful capabilities of coming back after damage, for nerves it can take years.  Is there anyone out there who can write who has been through this and doing well now?  Vitoras
Karin, I also thought that removing the GB would solve all my problems as well---well that's what I was told by the gastro dr. I was ready to do just about anything to feel "well" again even if that meant jumping off of a cliff or drinking a bottle of poison! Unfortunately, through this experience I have come to lose trust in dr.'s. I went back to my family dr. just last week and he told me he is going to do a "wait and see approach". My impression was he wants to wait till something happens (probably emergency wise) then treat me that way...nice huh?? Well here I am back to square one. I did get a hold of my mother-in-law who is going to see if her dr. will see me for a second opinion (or should I say 4th or 5th opinion).
I'm thinking my next step is to go to a veterinarian and see what they say...probably alot more then the dr.s around here LOL!
Anyhow, sorry to ramble on...it is good to be able to talk to someone else going through a similar situation.
Hope you all find answers and feel better soon,
Donna
I just want you all to know that I am happy and sad at the same time that there are people out there with the same problem. I am sorry you are going through this.  It lets me know that I am not crazy. I feel bad for my husband for dealing with me, but it is so hard to talk to someone who doesn't understand. He keeps telling me to go on an anti-depressant to help me deal with this.  I am scared to, but I know I need to do something. How do they make you feel?  Does it help any? I cry all of the time about this and have no one to pick me up when I am down. Kind of on your mind all of the time, huh?  If any of you would like someone to talk to my email address is nellie_1032***@****
Hope it is not too bad for you today.  Keep your chin up.
I can relate to not having a gallbladder or gallstones (removed April 05) but still experiencing gut-wrenching pain.

All was fine for six months from April 05-Oct 11. While at work Oct 12,I had excrutiating pain just below my sternum that felt like when they discovered I had gallstones (a bunch of 'em). Two days later, at work, another attack where I ended up going to ER. They didn't know what was causing it after having an ultrasound, blood/urine tests, so they gave me pain meds, a prescrip for Protonix and sent me home. I called my GI and asked to see him. He had no idea, but I told him I was not leaving until he scheduled an MRI. He said it 'wasn't necessary' but I was insistant. Well, I convinced him to schedule it two wks later. Had the appointment on Oct 19. The next morning (again while at work..hmmm) I had an attack. I went to my car in the parking lot and waited it out. But I thankfully took my cell phone and hydrocone (pain) pill with me. I called my GI's office while having the attack and screamsed/insisted he call me back with my results of the MRCP since I was in the midst of having another attack! The nurse finally calls me back 1.5 hr later and they say they couldn't find anything!! No stones in my bile duct, nothing. They said if I hadn't taken the protonix to start and come in for followup appt (which is in 2wks). So far, 2 wks and counting, I haven't had an attack. I have had any probs since Oct 20. Thank God!
My name is Stephanie and I had my gall bladder out in Aug. and I was told this was going to make me feel better. No one told me the problems that you could have after having Gall bladder surgery. I was never sick, or really in pain and definitely did not have dumping spells before the surgery.. Now, I am nauseated and this started about 3 weeks after surgery. I also had an endoscope and they found extra Bile in my stomach and I am also relfuxing it up.. Never had reflux either....before this. Now I am on Questran for the Bile as well as dumping spells and they said that sometimes people get better with time.. But there is nothing that they can do about the bile. I also had a Gastric Emptying done and I was a little backed up which had to be from the surgery. So I am right there with you about being frustrated and not knowing this was what we signed up for. See, I still question why I had my gall bladder out???? I did not have gall stones just had a Ct-Scan to say that I had Gall bladder disease.. Anyway,  I am praying to God to Heal me because I am not getting anywhere with the dr.s I loved my GI dr. until he made a comment to me the other day. He told me that I was SPECIAL to why I was having BIle in my stomach because that is not where it is supposed to be. and I said well am I am going to be nasueated for life and he said I  hope not. SO now I am seeing another GI dr. who  I will not be able to see until Dec. 22. SO please know that You are not a lone and I pray we will be healed. I have twin boys who are 3.5 and it makes me cry to know that I cannot do a lot with them......

PLease let me know what helps you all. You can email me as well. ***@****

Steph

My son and I both have had our gallbladders removed and had several ERCP's & stents. I am managing and my son is having complications. He is experiencing upper right pain and burning, with sharp pain& nausea, he has a hard time eating. We have been in Washington state where he spent a month in the hospital with no results, we are currently at the Mayo Clinic boy are they slow at getting anything done. As I write this we are back in Washington doing more tests all negative. If anyone has any ideas or a better place to go for medical help please e-mail me at ***@****. We are exhausted and frustrated and almost giving up. We get the run around when it comes to managing his pain NO doctors will give him pain medicine they all keep sending us to other doctors and pain clinics.They are afraid of loosing their lright to pratice medicine if they treat him. Any idea where we can seek relief from pain till the doctors maybe some day find the problem???
Hi Debbie-
I am in Washington State too! Wondering what doctors you have seen here? I had my gallbladder removed in 1997 as I had gallstones and a I also had my spleen removed as I had a tumor on it. I don't have pain, but I have severe acid reflux and a myriad of other problems. I was told last week that it might be the bile coming up. I would love to compare notes on the docs you've been to here. I haven't had much luck with any of the GI's here yet. My e-mail is ***@****.
hello everyone, this has been a most enlighting read that I have found so far.  let me just start by saying that I am really glad that I was able to find somewhere where i can find out some info.  I came to this site for my dad who has fatty liver and does not know how that outcome is going to be, but then I happened on this one and found it really interesting.  I had my gb removed a week ago.  the first few days of course I felt really bad could not eat then slowly I was able to eat a little on thanksgiving but everytime I do eat I feel sick to my stomach and then I think I dont want to eat no more but then its like now thats all I want to do is eat I have not said any of this to my dr. because I did not think that it was that important, but for anyone out there is this normal after the surgery?  I just hope that everything will go back to normal soon.
hi everyone,
i am hoping this note finds people getting better. I cannot believe how sick people are after having your gallbladder out. I also was unaware of the complications from having your gallbladder out. I have been to so many doctors and they just keep passing me aroung, the gi doc tells me its female related the gyn doc tells me its gi related and i am so lost not sure where to go next. I was in the gyn office yesterday and i did not feel good at all yesterday very very nauseous. I had to wait forever, finally i knew i was going to vomit and sure enough all over the waiting room, i was so embarrassed but so sick i was not sure what to do. finally someone showed me to the bathroom and i puke so much bile it was everywhere. The gyn doc said see i told you it was gi related, so i am back at square one. I did get into to see the cleveland clinic but its not until jan 26, 06. i guess i have been sick for over 6 months whats 2 more months. My prayers go out to each and every one of you, please keep us posted on how all of you are doing. Karin
Add one more person to this list of unfortunates who have had problems after gallbladder removal.  I am sympathetic to your plight. I still have problems, mostly after the first meal of the day. It used to be after every time I ate. It didn't matter what I ate or what I avoided. I have mild to moderate stomach upset and an urgency to void. Typically my bowel movement is diahrea (never could spell that word!)with lots of bile. Usually I get an immediate headache while I'm still on the toilet. It's as if something chemical is happening to me. I feel like I've been drained of something critical to my wellbeing. Sounds strange I know. It's so interesting how I get a headache immediately after evacuating. Something is causing me to feel like this.  
Over the last couple of weeks,I have been constipated and forcing a bowel movement, but this morining that's all over and it's back to the norm if that's what you want to call it. I think my thyroid needs a boost. I just had bloodwork done so I'll find out if my supplement needs to be adjusted.
By the way my gallbladder was removed in August of 2004. At the same time I had a hiatus hernia repaired. About 5-6 months ago I started to have chest pain just below the sternum. It is a severe tightening as if someone has a vice grip on me. This comes with no rhyme or reason, out of the blue. I can't connect it with anything. I can have an episode today and one tomorrow,, or not for 4 weeks. It's scary because it feels like a heart attack. As a precaution I had a necular cardiac stress test this Wed. and I'll get confirmation soon that it probably isn't cardiac related. That's what the gastro doc and I think. He is going to have me do a esophageal motility study...it might be that the esophagus is spasming. It also seems to be something with me. I'm 52 and really feeling older than my age these days.  
I hope that we all find out what is going on with our health so we can get back to a normal life. whatever that is!!?!!My best to you all. I live in CT by the way.
I had my gallbladder out inoct of 2001.....they romoved it laporscopicallly...hmm spelling isn't my best subject....after that surgery they also tied my tubes....in recovery...blood pressure drops...back to surgery...finds a nicked liver...after liver is fixed....emergency surfery to repair the severed artery in the muscle that the surgeon caused when he put in the scope to fix his first mess up........after surgery i went through several months of watery stool that was mostly stomach bile......then several months of constipation.....mother of three....all natural birth...no medicine.....well short story hurt worse to releive myself than to give birth. severe indigestion......gas....and heartburn has been my fate since....lost lots of wieght on purpose....now i have gained it all back....day before thanksgiving...i started having a peircing pain right below the old style scar i ended up with because of the artery repair(thank you Dr d...a..) at first it was only when i ate. now it is always.....went to er....was told that it was just an annoying pain with unlocated originallity...take ibuproven.....come back if you get fever vomit or severe pain.....it hurts to breath.....i am raising 6 children under the age of 10....the pain goes into my back....and across my abdoman....it interveres with my sleep....was hoping find some idea where to start looking for help.......this surgery only seems to bring on new and unusual pains....if you think of anything let me know
Well, the last time I posted was 11/08/05 re my gall bladder/weight loss/abdominal pain and since then I've have started the Protonix (since changed to Nexxium) and I haven't had any pain attacks in my upper abdoment area. I thought Protonix/Nexxium were for ulcer/GERD (which I have NEVER been diagnosed as having either of them) yet, it seems to be keeping me free from the pain I was experiencing.

I still eat what I want.Breakfast: oatmeal and toast. No more coca-colas everyday. Lunch: salad or chicken sandwich. I've cut back on eating chocolates. Drinks loads of water. I still don't have regular BMs and I am continuing to lose weight. Down from 145 to 130. I asked my GI if I should take Boost or Ensure to gain, he said I might want to try if I was that concerned about trying to gain weight. Someone suggested protein bars. I don't know why I continue to lose. He took blood last week. Called today to say hemoglobin/iron/red blood cells all low. Want me to come in for more labwork. Maybe they're low due to acid suppressant. I'm 5'9" and 130 looks okay, but I look bony. Will let you know what the doc says. ;>)
Sorry to hear there are so many of us "victims" of GB surgery. Just to update. I am continuing to go downhill. I have started to have pain like before I had my GB removed under the rib cage and between the shoulder blades. Just started about a week ago. Can't really tie it to anything just happens--mainly at night. I am also having bouts of nausea, cramping, and yellow liquid diahhrea (in that order--sorry if TMI) that make me feel like I am about to vomit while on the toilet--have had to grab the garbage pail a few times. I am tired and weak all the time. I have lost a few more lbs. I was at about 110 now I am 105 and I am 5'5". My dr. ordered bloodwork which again came back normal. I am guessing the nausea is caused by exessive bile that may be refluxing into my stomach. I have HORRIBLE heartburn to the point of gagging at times.
Anyways, sorry to ramble but I do hope someone comes up with an answer as to why we are all suffering like this!
Hope you all feel better soon.
Donna
In a strange way I have been comforted reading everyone
s postings, even though we have all had problems since our GB's were removed.  I was completely healthy prior to the removal.  I was at gym, running, felt extreme pain and was rushed to hospital.  There they told me I needed my GB removed immediately.  Prior to this episode, I had not even an hint of problem with my GB.  My digestive system was fine, could eat whatever I wanted.

2 months after my surgery I began having problems.  Severe chest pressure and dull chest pains would come and go (no rhyme or reason), bloatedness, nausia in the morning, constant regurgitation (which i guess is the reflux), felt like a baseball just sitting in my stomach, random coughs..etc..   I've never had digestive problems until know.  as a result, I've developed panic attacts where I feel like I am dying. I also get this fluttering feeling in the center of my chest a few times a day,  it feels like heart, but everone says it is the esophogus.

Does anyone else have that?  It causes alot of stress and panic, cause now I fear something else will go wrong.

I've had stress tests done all was good.  My doctor thinks it's GERD, and medicine seems to help.  What bothers me is that while I like my DR, they seem to dismiss all this as being no big deal.  My surgeon released me 2 hrs after surgery and said life would go back to normal.  No Dr tells you that there are issues after this surgery, but everyone I've talked to that has had this surgery have all had problems.  Sorry to ramble, it helps to know there are others out there waiting for their lives to go back to normal.
I feel like I've just joined the "Gall Club".  Like so many of you I'm just relieved I'm not the only one going through this.  My symptoms started the 2nd week of September, 05.  Vomiting bile, nausea, etc.  I finally went to the emergency room 10/24/05 and after numerous tests (CT Scan, Ultra Sound, x-rays, finally a test where they ran dye in my veins), it was found my GB was functioning at only 3%.  It was removed 10/26/05, I went home 10/27/05 thinking "thank you, Lord - it's over".  LOL...  On 10/28/05, the symptoms started back over, nausea, vomiting bile, excessive bowel movements, diarrhea.  I went back to the Doctor and have had Upper GI and the Empty Stomach Test, blood work, more x-rays, ultra sound, etc.  Everything came back negative.  Yesterday, I was back to my doctor who is now referring me to a Gastro doc. for Endoscopy and colonoscopy - just like most of you.  It's been 2 1/2 months and I dread eating now - but due to diabetes I have to or my blood sugar soars/plummets.  I'll eat during the day and by 5pm am either pulling over on the road home (I keep a towel in the car) vomiting bile, most times I can make it home.  I eat dinner and am up early in the a.m. vomiting bile from the night meal.  Unlike most of you I am gaining weight and now my hypertension has worsened and have additional meds prescribed.  At this point my med bills are unbelieveable.  I live alone, aside from my 3 minature dachshunds, and have felt so alone with this problem.  It's comforting to know there are others out there in the same "boat".  I do not have much faith these upcoming tests will reveal anything "mind blowing".  Hopefully, some young, zealous, GI intern will see all this and research the problem.  There has to be a common link somewhere and I'm sure there's other's out there that have not discovered this site.  Well, I'll keep you posted and pray for you all.  Keep the faith.
i've been going though the same thing as most of u. only difference is i had a gastric byass in aug 04. then my gall bladder removed in june 05. in may of this year i had only lost about 110 lbs. had gal bladder removed on june 1. the pain was severe since about an hour after i got home. on june 3 the nausea started back with severe diarreah (diarrhea). on june 5 the pain got even worse. since then i'm down about another 30 lbs. whick makes me look severly sick. i'm tired, but can't sleep, i'm nauseaded and in pain all the time. been to my gp and gastro dr. way too many times. and my gyn because gi thought it was female related. of course it wasn't. and back to the surgeon that did my bypass(which wasn't the same one that did my gallbladder) both my gyn and surgeon said just to keep seeing my gi doc.."he's the best" is what the surgeon keeps saying. the pain is so severe that i've been to the er about 25 times since june. i don't know what to do, cause now the gi dr. thinks i'm drug seeking because he really can't find anything wrong. he did find a dilated bile duct doing the barium ct with intrevenous barium added. but said that because my liver tests are normal he didn't think that was causing any of the pain, nausea or diarreah (diarrhea). the diarreah (diarrhea) wakes me up in the early am. and the nausea is constant. the pain is constant unless i have something to help it. i don't know what to do anymore. gi dr. refuses to give anything for pain, which makes it worse because i can't eat when the pain is bad, and the nausea and diarreah (diarrhea) is worse when i'm in pain. anyone that wants to email me can i would appreciate any help i can find, i'm in sc so if anyone around here knows a really good gi doc let me know. email addy is ***@**** i'm glad and sad to know i'm not the only one dealing with all this..
Hi.
I have been searching for info on gallbladder removal because my 67 year old mom had her gallbladder out 4 weeks ago and for the past 1-2 weeks has been suffering from severe weakness.  She was taken to hospital 3 days ago by ambulance after collapsing from severe weakness, difficulty breathing and she wet herself.  All blood, urine and heart tests come back normal.  Yet she can barely make it through the day.  She is not tired or sleepy, she is extremely weak.  Her temperature is normal.  She is very scared that something very serious is wrong with her.  They sent her home from the hospital saying 'she is fine', but she is definitely not.  She is going for another ultrasound in 2 days.  By the way, when she was diagnosed with gall stones it was due to an ultrasound that showed many stones.  The pathology on her gallbladder after removal said her gall bladder was normal with no stones.  What's up ?  Anyone have either of these problems ?  How can the stones disappear ?

And last but not least, Janiel, I suffered with migraines for 4 months straight about 3-4 years ago.  It was debilitating, and came on so sudden and intense my doctor sent me for a cat scan which came back normal, and yet I suffered so bad from nauseous and vomiting because of the pain.  My doctor could find nothing wrong and just called it 'migraines'.  She finally did a very smart thing and put me on an anti-depressant that at very low doses is a pain blocker, and often cancer patients are given it, I think it was called amitriptylin ???  Anyway, it did the trick and it stopped my migraines.  Sometimes our brains trigger a pain reaction and we need help stopping it, and that's what my doctor explained to me.  I was willing to try anything and everything at that point to make the pain stop and it was the only thing that worked.  I was a bit put off by the word 'antidepressant' but my study showed me that in low doses it can be used as a pain blocker.   Good luck to you all.
To Oatmeal: I love the name, and totally understand where it came from. Prior to my gall bladder removal I lived on PLAIN oatmeal, no milk, with one Splenda, Roasted chicken and PLAIN baked potatoes! After GB surgery which was followed by an ERCP with Sphincterotomy for removal of a CBD stone and debris, I can now eat Wheaties with Skim milk, and Splenda. Still can't eat fatty meals (pain and nausea) Have reflux and diarrhea. But have just been started on Questran and Protonix..so keeping my fingers crossed! Even with the problems I'm totally glad to be rid of that crummy GB, grateful not to have developed post-ERCP pancreatitis ( I had an awesome doctor in Dallas for the ERCP-thanks Dr.G!) Thanks for the grin-and stay away from oatmeal with Maple and Brown sugar-talk about pain!
Hello, All:  What a club!  I'm 50, with twin 17 year-old girls.  I too had my gallbladder removed(laproscopically) approx 18 mos ago, and over the past several months, have experienced a "tightness" in my upper right abdomen that goes around my rightside to the middle of my back, accompanied by a rapid weight loss.  Lately a little nausea, but only minor.  Also, the top of my stomach seems sunken.  Had colonoscopy, negative; small intestine contrast e-ray (drank that bad stuff), negative.  My Doc was recommending a stomach emptying test, but actually listened to me and wants to schedule first a CT scan with and without contrast, after I expressed concern about my pancreas.  (Web searches produce 85% symptoms similar to pancreatic cancer.  Compounding situation, I've had Harrington rods to correct scoliosis for over six years, but the problem seems to me to be more related to organs than hardware.)  CT scan appointment would be weeks away, and I felt so bad on Saturday and yesterday almost went to the ER.  While my symptoms have not been as severe as those you've reported above, did anyone have more gradual worsening?
HI! I am new to this sight but am very pleased to see that I am not the only one going through misery after having their gallbladder removed, for awhile I have been feeling all alone. My story may be long but it's the truth and may help you. I 19 years old. I had my gallbladder removed ten years ago when I was only 10 years old. Lets start out by saying this is not a normal surgery for someone as young as I was. Back then I didn't really realize what this ment or how it would effect me, well unforunatly now I do. After my surgery, my doctor told me to minimize my fat intake, basically be on a strict diet. Well lets just say I didn't realize how serious this advice would be up until the last 6-7 years. Over the years I have been back to visit the doctor who gave my surgery at least 3 times. All do to the pain I have after eating fatty foods. After eating something like a simple burger or even a salad w/ a creamy dressing I immediatly have to the bathroom, which is usually loose stools that have a lot of yellowy liquid(bile). Along w/ dirrhea is bad pain. Pain that makes me want to curl over while on the tolit going. Once I'm done going the pain is gone but I feel like I am drained from going. It's ridiculous and it's embarrising. Especially for someone of my age. Luckily I have had the same boyfriend for six years ( I love him)...and he understands what I go through and doesn't make fun of me....I mean like 90% of the time when we get done finishing going out to eat I have to rush to a bathroom. Sometimes I can't make it home and have to run in somewhere else. I told the doctor and he said even though it seems like I'm digesting the food I just ate it's actually my meal before that but who care it doesn't change anything. Well as a teenager it's been hard managing my fat intake. I mean not many yound people do. I'm not in bad health either. I'm 5'2 and about 130. I just hate the fact that I had to have this out at such a young age and suffer these results so early in life. Oh and have I mentioned I have already had acid result as a result many times. The doctor mentioned putting me on medicine to control the loose stooles w/ bile and pain I have when going the bathroom (aka.irribile bowl syndrome) but theres many complications w/ taking it at such a young age. I was on the purple pill(nexium) but I got off it and have just been eating better. I didn't really how strict this diet had to be up until now. Not to make this any longer but now I have just been to the doctors today and I may have a chance of gout in my foot. Another thing you don't see in young adults or children. Really only men over 40 or women after menopause. Well I'm praying I don't and I will find out Sat(12/17/05). For me to have this at such a young age I asked the doc if my removal of my gallbladder could have had an impact on gout and he said yes. I did some researching and gout has to do w/ the breaking down of an enzyme. blah, blah ,blah...just like not having a gallbladder our bodies sometime don't break down all our enzymes. well anyways for whoever took the time to read this I'm sorry it's so long but I had a lot on my mind over this discomfort. I mean it's the holidays and I can't even enjoy food the way everyone else can but it's good to know there are other suffers but I do have sympathy for your pain too. Has anyone else out there had their gallbladder out at a young age???? Bottom line if you want to get rid of your pain don't eat nothing w/ fat( which is like everyithing lol) and pray!!!!
hello everyone! i am new. i am glad that i found this. i had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago. every time i eat i get pretty much urgent diarrhea. the doctors tell me that i have ibs. i don't know. they have never given me questran or any other meds to help with the bile. i can't keep weight on. i am 5'4 and weigh 95 pounds. it depresses me. i wish that i could gain. i have heard from some people that taking calcium daily has helped people with diarrhea. anyone tries this. please help with any suggestions. thanks!
I recently had my gallbladder removed after severe nausea and the inability to eat ANYTHING.  I could only eat crackers and gatorade.  I lost 21 lbs and all tests came back normal stating my gallbladder was healthy.  They removed it anyway 2 wks ago and discovered it was chronically inflammed.  I felt GREAT after removal until a couple of days ago I started with the nausea again.  I dont have any pain and rarely get diarhea (diarrhea) but the nausea occurs right after I eat.  It is not nearly as intense as before but enough to ruin your day.  If I lay down after eating the nausea is worse.  I get chest pains now and think I have acid reflux.  They put me on Prevacid.  You have to take it everyday and I feel nausea from it but if I dont take it I am MUCH worse....does anyone know of a better acid reflux pill or if this may even be the problem....I could have lived with every one of the other symptoms but I can't take nausea!!!
I am 82 years young and had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago.
After about 3 month I started having daily bouts of diarhhea. My internest said that it was being caused by excess bile from my liver.  He prescribed Cholestyramine which has been a miracle drug in solving my diarrhea problem.  However it has caused me another problem which is SEVERE upper GI inflamation (inflammation).  Is there any other drug or treament that you can suggest. Is there a drug or an herb which could help?  Thank You
Finally a site that others I can relate too. I had my GB removed Sept.03 with no problems with eating etc for 2 years then BAM!!! Started with the same symptoms as before removal of my GB, upper right quad pain,vomiting, loose BM thought it was a bad Virus but wouldn't go away. Went through CT with contrast,CBC, Upper GI with Barium, Horomone check, Endoscope etc.etc.etc. Found only mild gastric irr. in dueodemon area with a neg. for H-Pylori. Been on Prilosec 20mg, Reglan 10mg and Phenergan 25mg since Sept 05 with very little improvementexcept pain much less. But I am unable to eat much of anything period. My diet is toast, baked potatoe,some soups,oatmeal,pudding,def.coffee and tea and milk shakes so I dropped 12lbs fast but stopped losing weight and my right side has a swollen site beside my navel and it balls up and enlarges and gets very hard to touch when I eat anything. If I bend over after I eat or lay down up my food comes no matter what and it is projectial vomiting. I just had another Virus on top of this and now I have a burning/tingling in my lower legs and my feet I cripple around like I have ran on sharp rocks barefoot, losing sleep and waking up with bile sore throat and will vomit bile every a.m. The GI and GYN did a exploratory Lapo for adhesions and I was clean, so now sending me to Endrocologist for the glands. I also have headaches and eye vision disrupts. The gland system send all kinds of messages to the body for activity and thay are going this route. I wish everyone of you the Best of Luck on your quest. It seems Doctors do not care sometimes but it is because we are exeptions and they cannot figure it out and hate to admit the failure I guess. Good Luck to all. CJ
I am a 19 year old female who just had her gallbladder out about a month and a half ago.  It took awhile for doctors to diagnosis me.  I complained of persistant nausea, sharp pains on upper right abdomen, and diarreha.  At first the doctor thought it was IBS and/or GERD and I was put on meds for both.  Neither seemed to work so they did an ultra sound- found nothing; then they did a hida scan- produced the pain but my GB was emptying fine.  I visited a general surgeon and he recommended to have my gallbladder out.  11/21 I had surgery.  It turns out my gallbladder was two times the regualr size and it was full of sand.  On top of that my omentum was twist from my gallbladder down to my rectum.  Recovery was slow but no problems from the surgery.  I was completely fine; I ate what I wanted, just like the surgeon said but a couple days for Christmas I flew out to visit my father in Texas and on the flight I had severe chest pain and I couldn't breath very easliy.  I was given oxygen on the flight.  An ambulence met me at the gate and took an EKG and my blood oxygen level, which were both normal.  Fearing a blood clot, I went to the ER.  A chest xray and CT scan was done- they concluded I had pulisery (painful inflamation (inflammation) of the lungs) but I didn't have any symptoms for it.  Christmas day I had severe lower abdominal pain and I went to the ER.  They found fluid in my right ovary- said it was a ruptured cycst.  The doctor gave me some vicodin for the pain.  After I took it the chest pains came again, I went back the ER- another CT scan (I had to drink iodine this time, came back normal) However the doctor thought I could be suffering from several esopigal distress or acid reflux due to the GB removal.  He gave me Protonix and some nausea medication.  I have had one eposide since then, and the last two days the nausea has increased.  I can't eat anything spicy or fatty.  I'm suppose to see my family doctor Thursday.  I'm kinda scared though.  I'm so young, but I'm having so many medical problems.  I know that God has a purpose for my life and he keeps me positive a strong in this time.
HI I am writing this for my 16 yr old daughters, She had her gallbladder removed october 21, 205 she had been suffering with the pain of that since about Feb 2005 it took them all that time to figure out it might be her gallbladderfirst she had an endoscopy which showed no sores in her stomach and definetly NO BILE she was given a sono on 10/20/05 and they found nothing, they did the hidi test and found her gallbladder to not be working right, once the dr did the surgery came and told us me and my husband her GB was working at only 9% we thought thank god this is over now, well 2-4 weeks after she starts having severe pain in her abdomen right where the rib cage meets,the pain travels to her back and chest, she has squeezing chest pain, and her heart starts beating fast,  if feels as if her back was breaking and someone stabbing her in the abdomen with a knife, is this how it is for you all? also Took her back to the GI dr yesterday 1/4/06 I have the tape they did of the endoscopy and it shows bile in her stomach, but yet they refuse to do anything about it the surgeon NOT the GI dr gave her meds for ulcers, she has NO ulcers, and then we took her to the ER last nite where they wanted to give her Xanax for anxiety, saying she is only having anxiety attacks, I am going to go see our PCP tomorrow and demand one or maybe all of these tests CT, MRI and an ERCP my child needs help and I won't stop until she gets it, Why do you think these drs won't help us????? also correct me if I am wrong, if you have bile in your stomach do you have a bile leak since it should be dumping into your small intestines and not resting in your stomach, My 16 yr old is NOT going to be on pain meds for the rest of her life, I am going to demand they fix this. Also can any of you tell me will or would the Stent work for the leak?? Any advice is greatly appricate, also Have any of you thought to check into a personal injury lawyer, I know I am going to!!!! Please email me if you think you can help us ***@****
thank You
Laura
Good News for us our PCP is listening to us, and sending us for a CT scan and to another GI dr whos speciality is cases like my daughters, where they don't stop until they get you fixed. Our PCP expects the new GI specialist to do a ERCP on my daughter, I will keep you informed for anyone else like me who has this kind of problem, the sad thing is all of you like my daughter who are waiting to get help yet. I am sorry some Dr.s are such jerks, I hope someday you all get well, its hard to live when you are in such pain.
27 Fm mother of 7 year old boy. Had Hiatal Hernia surgery in Sep 03 to relieve acid reflux. lost 20 lbs in 3 months. Then in May of 04 I wake up nautious and vommiting, diareha then ER. take out GB fine for 2-3 weeks. June - Aug 04 lost 70LBS!!!! I went from 220 to 105 in less than a year. GI said it was physcological, she said it was very physcical, he dont know then. They have given me every med on the plant. I still have no appetite and vommit bile every morning! I stopped going to the Dr in Apr 05. They gave me everytest under the sun. I have swalled every color dye(with little sucess everytime), had every hole scopped, i found a few homeopathic solutions to cope with appetite and pain. no more significant weight loss however i can tseem to gain any either. I still vommit alot and would lik this to be resoved someday. Anyone have any ideas?
Hello.

I am thrilled and depressed to read this column.  I had my gallbladder removed on the 19th of Dec 05.  Life was GREAT (even through the severe pain) for the first few days, I started vomiting, nausea and belching sporadically around christmas eve, spent Christmas Day in bed (barely made it up to see my baby boy (8 y.o.) open his gifts, then right back to bed.  Couldn't drive etc.  FINALLY a day or so later felt soooo great.  Ate McDonald's for the first time in god knows how long with NO symptoms!  Was WONDERFUL!!!  

I should mention that in September I had this "attack" of severe belching and nausea for about four hours.  Then the next day it started NON_STOP until the gb surgery.  They (the dept of veterans affairs-my only healthcare) put me on morphine outpatient, 15mg pills.  they didn't help the severe right side pain very much but slowed down the belching.  The docs said they didnt think taking the gb out would help.  I was THRILLED to throw it in their face when i went for my 10 day checkup and felt like a new person with NO BELCHING or VOMITING!!!  

About 3 days ago the burping (non-stop) and farting, and vomiting started AGAIN!!!  I am throwing up bile, i also had hot/cold sweats, severe runs, extreme fatigue, fullness etc.  but no right sided pain.  I looked up symptoms of vicodin/morphine withdrawal and most of them are present. SOO I am assuming part of this is from no longer taking the pain meds they had me on (at doses high enough to knock out a full grown horse) and then them stopping them suddenly!  GOtta love the VA!  I made an appointment with my son's doc for Monday b/c i was so sick again today that I couldnt get my son to school or get myself to dentist.  I am losing weight, vomiting bile.  I do not have any insurance other than thru the VA.  It took 2 MONTHS to get them to do a gb ultrasound, after I paid over 100.00 to a private doc and three civilian ER visits, all of whom said i needed one ASAP.  

does anyone have this burping thing???  with the vomiting?  HELP!!  I do NOT have the money to get private tests done and the VA is non-cooperative.  The drug withdrawal is over (for the most part- I think).  ANY IDEAS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL ME at ***@****.  

So, Whatnext! you like my name, huh? (smiling) Yeah, I thought it was appropriate. I still have oatmeal/toast for bkf but sometimes I will have pancakes and 2 pcs of bacon. Still can't seem to gain any weight. Prior to surgergy, I was 160 (was at 145 when I checked out of hosp in April 05, now I'm at 130). Doctor called over Xmas break to say my add'l bloodwork showed iron low and I should buy iron pills. I hear they can constipate you so I think I'll try to get it naturally or take a multi-vitamin. I'm still on Nexium and haven't had any pain attacks. I do have to take them every morning and when I'm late taking them or late eating breakfast, it's like somebody is twisting my insides. I eat 6 or 7x a day (have good appetite; have to snack a lot on fruit, lots of water). I thankfully have never had the vomiting, reflux, or diarrhea. BMs are still 1x a week, but that's how they were b/4 GB surgery. Sorry that we are all going thru this, but IT IS nice to know I am not alone! Later (I'm hungry again, think I'll fix a cup of o'meal!)
Hello Everyone:

The gallbladder saga continues. Heres my story...In August of 2005, my stomach felt like someone had pored cement into
my intestines. I subsequently had some heart burn but no acid reflex in my throat.  My lower abdomen felt like it was inflamed or at least the membrane touching the intestines did. I was put on protonix, sulcrafate, and etc. Multiple tests and a hyda scan revealed that it had to be my gall bladder. So in October of 2005, out it came and still no relief from the esophogus pain/ spasmism, lower abdominal pain/ burning sensation. IN went to ER and they gave protonix IV. My GI doctor scoped me every which way (Upper and Lower), scanned, xrayed, and the majority of tests. The Dr. did say that I had diverticula. and some air in my upper chest/ abdomen. Were down to the last few tests. Blood work, slighlty higher liver enzyme reading, stomach digestion normal, will have a 24-PH test but I remain the mystery patient. Anyone in a similar situation? One of my GI' s said that it might be a Functional Bowel Disorder or a bad valve in my esophogus that needs to be tweaked.. Im new to this need to hear any suggestions. Im not a big fan of surgery again to fix a valve....
My email address is "***@****"

Take care,

Mike
hi everyone, wow! i cannot believe all the trouble everyone is having after having their gallbladder removed. my saga still continutes also! still nauseous, diarrhea no energy, fatigued and just feel like **** all the time. I just had a gastric emptying scan done 2 days ago. The test came back abnormal, the egg that i ate hardly left my stomach. i have not seen the doctor yet to actually ask him why this is happening. Anybody have any ideas? i never had any of these symtoms (symptoms) until i had my gallbladder out. i think the surgeon messed something up, i have read about a pylorplasty surgery to open up the pyloric sphincter. i have tried reglan for slow emptying but it did absolutley nothing, i was on it for about 3-4 weeks. I am on zelnorm now and it is not helping either. Any answers?
I just want to say that I'm so comforted to know that I'm not dealing with this on my own. I'm not quite 18 years old yet and we've finally recieved a diagnosis for all the stomach problems I've been having. I'm 5'6" and was at a steady 120 pounds for years. I could usually eat anything I wanted without any negative reprocussions.

However, it hit me like a brick over the past few months. I was constantly missing school for upset stomachs (always horrible nausea) and I had frequent diarrhea. My regular doctor, who is a pediatrician, gave me Prevacid (and her diagnosis was IBS). Yes, I did have IBS...but for all who know that Prevacid is an acid-reflux drug, that wasn't for me. Prevacid made me somewhat better but I had horrible side effects on that specific medication.

My doctor said she didn't know what to do with me so I was sent to a specialist. He put me on IBS medication. I still had persistant nausea, so we got tests. Bloodwork, Upper GI and small bowel, Ultra sound, and a Hida Scan. Everything was fine but they found my gall bladder to be functioning at 32%.

A gall bladder is considered abnormal if it's functioning at 30% or below. So I was really on the fence. I still had problems so my doctor said, "Let's take it out!" Before that, though, he wanted to do an endoscopy to check for ulcers. What he found was that I had severe acid reflux and inlammatory Gastritis.

Yuck!

I'm still sick...I'm on Protonix twice a day but I'm feeling somewhat better than I did. I do have bad days though. I have an appointment to see a surgeon on the 30th of January and I'm so frightened about the consequences that will come with getting my gall bladder removed.

I know that the acid reflux and the IBS will go with me throughout my life, but I don't want to have to drag negative side effects of the surgery along with me.

Right now I really just need people to talk to about this because no one understands. I'm out of school for a month and I so badly want things to go back to normal.

I have faith in my Lord Jesus that he will clear me of this suffering. I also pray for all of you who experience these digestive difficulties and my heart goes out to those like sadangel and chaquita4ever who are young, as well. Just trust in God and he'll help you pull through.

Anyone who wants to contact me and wants someone to talk to or has advice, my email is ***@****

Thanks everyone! I wish you all well...

Hi eveyone, I'm in the UK and had my gall bladder removed 10 days ago. At the moment I am trying to educate myself a little more about the function of the gall bladder and the effects of not having one any longer.

I came across a very detailed website, written (i believe by a surgeon) that maybe helpful to a few of you here.  It is a very long read, but if you bare with it there could possible be a few answers to your questions.

Good luck xx

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/311/6997/99
I'm so sorry to hear how sever some of the problems are, mine are mild to some of yours.   but here my story I'm a 29 year old mother of 2 i had my gall bladder out in 2004 for sever nausea and dirreha.  The doctor told me afterward it would go away.  The nausea did for awhile and slow returned.  it mild now i can deal but the dirreah never stop in in the bathroom at least 8 times a day i get so dizzy afterwards.  It hurt bad enough i will be cold and sweat at the same time.  Now the doctors are telling me it IBS. after reading here i'm not sure the medication doesnt help either
I had my gallbladder removed 12/29/06.  So far I haven't had any problems other than always being cold.......... especially my hands.  We live in California, so I can't blame it on the weather.  Anyone else experiencing anything similar.
      I'm so glad that I found this forum.  I had my GB taken out on Dec. 9, 05.  My first attack was on the beginning of Nov. I went to my doctor that very next day they release me out of the ER.  I explain to him what had happen and I ask him if I needed surgery.  I'm 26 years old and I didn't like the idea of surgery.  He told me to wait and see.  Boy was that such a bad advice.  A month late, I have 2 more attacks, 2 days from each other.  I scheduled an appointment with a surgeon on Dec. 8 and I didn't get to see him because I was in the Hospital in the ER on the 7th.  I had my surgery the old fashion way where they cut my open about 6-7 inches long.  My GB was so bad and swollen that it was about to burst from what my surgeon told me.  I was pretty upset with my family doctor.  I could of had a larposcopic surgery instead of the traditional one because I took his advice.  I have 16 staples and had them taken out on the 27th of Dec.  It is now Jan. 06 and I'm having chest pain.  The 2nd week of Jan., I constantly felt tired, light headed and nauseus.  I thought maybe, I'll just go to sleep and lie down.  A few minutes into my sleep, I felt my heart beating really quickly like as though I have a anxiety or panic attack.  I never had these kind of feeling before.  A day or two later, I went to my family doctor again (which I shouldn't).  I told him how I was feeling and I insisted him on listening to my heart beat just in case if there is anything irregular.  I have to ask him, can you believe it!?  He listen and said it was normal.  Then I asked him if it was due to my GB surgery?  He said no.  I ask him, why am I feeling this way with chest pain and shortness of breath?  He told me that I might have a cold and take a tylenol.  Can you believe this guy!?  He said that I'm young and only 26 years old.  Please if anyone is feeling chest pain, shortness of breath at times, tightness in the throat where you feel like you have to swallow your saliva at times or anything to do with breathing problem, please email me at ***@****.  Sometimes when I'm taking a deep breath, I can feel the part where they cut me up, going up and down hitting my rib cage.  That part of my skin is still numb.  Please email me at ***@**** if you or someone you know is expriencing this problem.  And everyone out there, I hope you can find a treatment or medicine to help you with you problem.  Thanks for reading...
A related discussion, nausea vomiting bile was started.
A related discussion, When to seek medical attention-4 wks post op was started.
A related discussion, What is wrong with me? was started.
A related discussion, vomiting and weight gain after GB removal was started.
A related discussion, Post gallbladder surgery was started.
A related discussion, What can I do to be able to eat again?? was started.
A related discussion, Nausea, vomiting after eating most things. was started.
A related discussion, 14yrs post gallbladder removal was started.