mid life crisis for men
I would like to find out for those of you men out there if you have gone through this and why?  The reason I am asking is 3 weeks ago my husband came home and told me he didn't love me anymore.  He said I love you as a person, and respect you.  This is after being with him for 31 years and doing everything for him.  Taking care of him while he was sick, when he lost his job, standing by him.  I was also asked to care for his dying father last year he was battling cancer, I agreed, I cared for his dad in our home 24/7 until he passed.

Can someone explain to me how a husband justifies to himself this is right to do to his wife.
Sorry,
it could be  you are co-dep on him, and maybe he found someone else to lean on.  I have found the more you do for someone the more they hurt you.
No I am not co depen on him.  I want to know how men justify hurting their families.  How they rationalize doing this is ok by them.
Questions?
Is he depressed or on meds
hows his job?
any major events in the last year besides his father dying.
is this the first time he wanted to leave?
I don't know if he is depressed,  He walks around happy.  He say's he loves his job.  He lost his father and a close friend last year.

I always thought we had a loving marriage.  Guess he fooled me
Sounds like you did have a loving marriage for almost 31 years, however people change and grow apart for some reason.  Love is never constant it is alway evolving.  
Question? are you happy and do you love your self?
No I am not happy I just lost my husband, who I love more than anything.  People change yes, but overnight?  This does not make sense to me and I just don't understand how a man can justify to himself that this is ok to do to his wife and kids.  Selfish I think.

I do love myself, but this is a trying time as you can see for me.  It's only been 3 weeks.
I know how you feel about having a relationship with a selfish person.  Remember you are only 1/2 of the relationship.  I was with someone for 2 years and we just broke up.  I am trying to make sense of what happened to cause the breakup.  The only thing i can do now is look at my part in the relationship.  Check out this web:http://earthrenewal.org/ending_of_relationships.htm  has some good info on signs a relationship is ending.  I can tell you it just does not happen over night.  You could always see loving coming, but never leaving.
You talk about everything you did for him but what were you doing with him?
we did lots together, we went on trips, out socializing, this is why I dont understand what is happening, its like overnight he became this different person

we always had a great time

so loss and confused
What about his past, was he married before, how was his relationship with his parents?  Does he have relatives you can talk too.  Ronald Raglan said: if you dig deep enough you will find a pony. God works in many different ways, sometimes he let's us know the relationship is ending or let's the other person know.  Have faith and hope.  Everyone tells me there is a reason for everything in life. Like you I'm trying to work through my breakup.  For almost 2 years, she told me everyday she loved me.  Last we talked, she told me she was not in love but more like a friend.  go figure.
not this was both our first marriage, relationship with mother was strained because his parents divorced when he was very young, he was fine with his dad

his relatives, don't even know yet
Personal question, how you love life with him?
As I said I thought everything was great, we were loving towards each other, had great sex, always were there for eath other.  Always looked forward to see him come home from work, greeted him with a kiss and hug, asked about his day.  

Now is he totally diffrent, dont recognize him.  

Have you tried to distance your self from him?  Did you ask him if he is seeing another women?
Yes since the day he told me, I asked him if he had an affair or was seeing someone.  He said he was not.  How can I distance myself when I love him.  Tonight he comes to move some stuff out and I dont know if I will be able to handle it.  He has become cold not caring,
You need to be strong, if you can maybe you should not be there when he comes home.  Go to a friends house or go to  a movie.  But he should not see you like this.  Funny thing when you show him you are strong he will question his decisions.  Try not to push him away right now.  If you can ask him if he needs help to move stuff out.  This will shock him and help your mind out.
I have been racking my brain to understand what is happening.

Only thing I can come up with is that this is the only way he can see other woman.  Breakup up his marriage, destroy his wife and kids.  Even had told him look in the mirror your not the 20 yr old you use to be.  Your bald, fat, old, cranky lately, uncaring, selfish.  Even told him don`t ever tell me it`s because of my looks or that.  If it`s a young thing he wants I can`t stop it.  His two kids don`t want anything to do with him at the moment.  I can`t blame them for now as they are dealing with the pain.

How selfish can men be?  Last night was so difficult when he came and moved some stuff out.  I didn`t say a word just let him do his stuff.

I am starting to think I was married to a selfish *******.  I gave and gave, helped, did it all and for what, for him to say i need to tell you something, I don`t love you anymore, and I want a separation.  Well f*** him
Good,
You sound angry, and that's good.  One thing you should look at is that he did give you 2 kids.  Maybe that's what life is all about.  I was told nothing last forever. He was not meant to be in your life forever.
here is a great poem to read:
A Reason, A Season And A Lifetime

People come into your life for a reason,
a season, or a lifetime. When you figure
out which it is, you know exactly what to do.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed
outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist
you through a difficulty, to provide you with
guidance and support, to aid you physically,
emotionally, or spiritually.

They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason, you need them
to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your
part or at an inconvenient time, this person will
say or do something to bring the relationship to
an end.

Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk
away. Sometimes they act up or out and
force you to take a stand. What we must
realize is that our need has been met,our
desire fulfilled; their work is done. The
prayer you sent up has been answered
and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a
SEASON, it is because your turn has come
to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you
an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never
done. They usually give you an unbelievable
amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only
for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime
lessons; those things you must build upon in order
to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is
to accept the lesson, love the person/people
and put what you have learned to use in
all other relationships and areas of your life.

It is said that love is blind but
friendship is clairvoyant.

Thank you for being a part of my life.
" I was told nothing last forever. He was not meant to be in your life forever."
----------------------------------------------------
Whats wrong with you!!!!????? This ladies marriage of 31 years just broke up and you say this to her and write paste this stupid poem?????

Goldie, I am very sorry to see that you are going through this.

MO

Goldie,
I'm not trying to be insensitive to your situation.  I am deeply sad that you are living with this.  No one deserves this after 31 years of marriage.  People do change maybe not over night, but slowly.  Believe that g-d is with you.
Someone sent this poem to me years ago, i just now understand the meaning behind it.  Yes it might be stupid, but i was only trying to comfort her.
Well here I sit, crying all the time, hubby is coming over to move some stuff for his son.  I asked him once he was done could he stay a bit and talk.  He immediately got any and yelled no.  This was suppose to be the happiest time of our lives, with a grandbaby on the way.  When he was told about the news a few months back he showed no sign of happiness about it.  He continues to hurt me with words.  Promised me he would always be there for me but I am all alone to cope.  My kids are having such a difficult time too.  I guess them seeing their mother destroyed is not an easy thing to live with.  But wish they were here, I can't force them.

Just wish this pain would stop.  I would rather die and to live like this.
Yes i know that feeling of wanting to stop the pain.  You are going to be a grandma soon.  So you need to look at this a positive thing.  Imagine, hold you new grand-baby soon.  That's what life is about, bringing new hope to this crazy world.  Be strong for your kids.  They need you now more then ever.

I'm sorry Abarry for sounding harsh in my post to you. I realize that you were trying to comfort Goldie and we all say things in our own way and have different belief systems, but I do now see your heart is in the right place...But anyhow sorry again for my knee -jerk response - or just plain ole "jerk" response.
Take care,
MO
this morning he called me and ask if I would call the family doctor, as he has been losing alot of weight.  I did and called him back to confirm his appointment.  I then asked him if he could come over to talk about what is going on, that I know he's depress and going throught this crisis.  He said no.  I proceeded to ask him don't you think we owe it to each other to start thinking what is best for the both of use, and stop worrying about everyone else.  To concentrate on saving our marriage, our needs and wants.  He got very angry and yelled at me that it was over and that he didnt want to work on it.

I told him dont you realize your going to lose me and the kids he said nothing.  I asked him again if there was anyone else he repeated there was nobody else.

I cried and told him how do you expect me to handle all this, you call when you need help, I help you but you refuse to even come and sit down like an adult and discuss this.

He hung up.

Im crying my eyes out, all alone and not knowing what do to next.
Well today is a bad day, knock on the door, was a delivery man with an envelope.  I signed for it, when in the house opened it here it was the separation agreement.

I went ballistic, called hubby told him how dare you ******* send this by courier.  Dont have the balls to bring it to me.

Then ask why he has not called his kids.  His replay they have my number.  Told him they are hurting real bad.  That I call them on daily basis to see how they are doing and reassure them that I am here for them and love them very much.

My hubby is angry, and tells me its all my imagination.

Why won't he call his kids???
Well, thats sad that he won't talk to your sons, but I am sure it is out of guilt of what he has done and that fact that he did this with absolutely no explanation and feels that he doesn't have to give one either.

Does he have any brothers or sister and have you contacted them? Maybe he has told them something as to why he has done this.....I think I have my theory as to what happened - nothing that you did wrong and the clue to that is that he would have no problem facing you and delivering the separation agreement in person IF he was blaming you in some way.......but since he does not want to see you or the kids it shows he knows he is the problem and he is trying to convince himself otherwise. Seeing you guys is a reminder to him of how HE is the one in the wrong and He is the one that is breaking up the family.

Most likely to the "outsiders" or his' friends' he will blame you in some way, if he hasn't already and that is usually what keeps a marriage or even frendship from being restored,,,,,,,the person is ashamed that they exaggerated or made things up due to their own ego and seared conscience and so restoration of the relationship is embarassing to them instead of them just saying they "lied about a few things, forgive me",,but again ''ego prevents them".......I used to work with the public and my husband always says I should write a book on the divorces I have seen and heard. Its sad divorce is no big deal to many people these days. It would feel like a death to me as I know that is how you feel too.

But anyhow, if it were me, I would do whatever I had to do to find out what happened that caused his sudden change. I would go see his boss and your in-laws.....I have a feeling I might have figured out what happened (nothing you did wrong) but I don't know if you are still looking for people to tell you their opinion on that, but if you are still coming to the forum and want to hear my theory - let me know. I am usually pretty good at this. My mother went through alot with my father, so I have heard it ALL over the years.

Hope you and your sons are feeling better,
MO
had a family friend, married to her husband for about 2 decades.  dude ups and leaves out of the blue, her and the 3 kids and grandkid (daughter was a senior in highschool & had just had a baby).  turns out he, having been the provider for the family, had quit paying the mortgage a couple of months prior to leaving, traded in the family car for a Porshe, and moved across country to California.  just like that.  completely lost his m.i.n.d.
amazing
traded in the family car for a Porshe, and moved across country to California.  just like that.  completely lost his m.i.n.d.
amazing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He didn't LOSE his Mind, I'd guess he FOUND a young chickadee and middle age men try to distract the young women from staring at their excess belly fat by surrounding it with a Porsche.. I know this well, I listened to peoples stories all day long. I am a retired Psychiatrist, though for some odd reason my license says "hairdresser." :o) But sometimes I wondered if people sat in my chair for a haircut or to tell me their problems.

I feel bad for your friend,,,but I think that women whose husbands 'suddenly" leave them make a very big mistake by saying "he lost his mind," because that makes it sound like he had a mental illness and with that people might throw him sympathy.  Women in that position should instead tell others that their ex was obviously self centered, and that he followed the decision that his weenie made..

There are plenty of nice guys out there and I hope she met someone by now. The length of time that she was married will be an indication to any fellow she meets that she must have been a good wife to her husband.

ow involved, been going on for 4 months, see's her daily at work

he gave up his wife, kids, destroyed our family for this low life piece of trash
Usually when a man up and leaves it's because of another woman.  She is a low life piece of trash and so is he.  Don't worry, Kharma is a biatch and both will get theirs in the end.  He will learn to regret, just wait and see.  Hopefully you can move forward and on with your life.  31 years is a long time and it will take a while before you will feel ok again.  I'm so sorry that you have been put through this.  It isn't fair and it isn't right.  Keep venting on here and you will see it will get easier.  There isn't really any one of us can say or do to make you feel better but it will help to get the support.  Hang in there and keep your head high, and know that you didn't do anything wrong at all, he's the dirtbag here.
Are you still around.  Your story sounds just like mine except only 3 years married.  this happened overnight too.  He swears he's not having affair or thinking about it with anyone.  I'm so miserable
I am a soon to be 60 year old who went through what you are dealing with about 2 years ago. It began at least 5 years before that but I didn't see it coming because I thought that my ex was just depressed over his job situation... Honey, I know exactly how you feel. My children actually defended my ex b/c they thought he was having mental issues.
As a result I had no one to lean on and felt as though the bottom had fallen out of my world.  He tricked me into giving him the best years of my life and when our kids were raised he told me that he hadn't loved me for a long time. Your situation sounds identical to mine.

My heart goes out to you, but I want to tell you that God has you in the palm of His hand. He loves you and He has a plan for you. Take it easy and be kind to yourself. I am sure that you are a beautiful woman.  Believe me, there are men out there who would love to have someone who would love them like you are capable of.  I found one who adores me and wants to spend the rest of his life showing me.  Learn to laugh everyday and spend time with family and friends who you feel safe with. Blessings on you...
First tell your husband you love him and ask if there is anything you can do to help him rekindle the feelings he once had for you. What is it going to take to make things right between the two of you. Find out what he is thinking and what has made him grow away from you. Once you have a better understanding of his feelings then you'll be able to make some inroads, of course this may work or it may not as it always takes two people to make things happen but he'll know you care and want him to love you again and are willing to work on it.
This is the first time I've posted to this, but I'm going through the same thing Goldie did, after 31 years, it's the I don't love you anymore thing, it's all my fault, I'm the one that created this to happen.  It started 1.5 years ago when he said he wasn't happy and I was to blame for neglecting him - my job came first...then as time went on, I treated him like a baby, I ignored and pushed him away, etc....each time it was more and more my fault.  I did it all - the kids, the money, the errands, the housework, worked full time, cooked.....and sometimes I did run out of steam...but not to the extent he claims...we had a good life...friends, trips, home, both working, great kids, great sex - at least I thought!  I think he's going through a mid life - says he needs to start a new life, make his own decisions, moving to another state.  It's devasting and tuff to get through, he's leaving in 2 weeks - supposingly has a job, there is no one else - but he's been up and down the last 1.5 years on what he wants - wants to stay, wants to leave, has been seeing counselor but all one sided to his needs and wants.
When I read your post I thought wow someone else is going through a similar situation. Me and my husband have been married for 21 years this month. After work every day he would go down to his buddy's house. Well I found out later that his buddy's cousin (Eva) had been going there too.
This Eva person goes to all the parties and hangs on all the guys, I told my husband to be careful of her because she is just like that. I never believed he would ever fall in her trap, but he left me about a month ago and moved in with her. Everyone keeps telling me that she will screw up because she gets who she wants and then tosses them to the side. I cant believe he chose to be with her when he knows her reputation, but it seems like he has done a complete 180.
The first time I saw him (she was driving his truck) I said, " I thought you loved me Chuck and he said I do. The second time I saw him he said that he probably loves me and probably loves her, and the last time I saw him, I asked him if he was losing his love for me and he said that he didn't know.
He has never been a talker and has short responses. I am also devistated. I cry all the time and just can't believe it happened. It's so heart-wrenching to see them act like they don't care after that many years of marriage.
I am unsure what to do. I'm thinking maybe he needs to see me once in a while so he can see what he lost, and sometimes I think maybe I should stay away and then he may think that if he decides he doesnt want to be with her that he may not have me to come back to. I truly want him back. It might sound weird to some, but when you love a person and have been with them for 21 years it's hard to just let go.
Jean
I'm so sorry Jean that you are going through such a hard time.  I don't understand how your husband could do it either.  They always think the grass is geener on the otherside but you know what, when the excitment and novalty wears off, it's not any better.  Actually it's probably worse.  I dispise women like that also, they want what they want without cares for anyone else.  I truly believe in Karma and I believe this Eva chick will get her just desserts.  Hang tough and I hope when your husband does come around, because they always do, that you won't even want him anymore.  Oh and I understand that wanting them back thing, even though they don't deserve it.  Good luck.
Mami,

Thanks for your input and understanding. I hope you are right about the novelty wearing off. This isnt like him at all ever! Some of my friends that know Eva told me that she will dump him after she knows she has the win. My neighbor is the administrator of a bar near here and he said he had to kick her out twice and the final time meant she was not allowed back in there. I guess the first time she was changing her shirt right in the bar, and the second time she was outside the bar using her cell phone and when they didnt unlock the door right away to let her in, she started calling the workers names. My neighbor told me that when he excorted her out she put her hand down his pants. I have heard other stories about her doing favors for rides hime. I still cant believe my husband chose to be wih her. She must have him really snow-jobed. Of course now she is driving our truck and spending the money that my husband used to hand me. I wonder what will happen when the spousal support kicks in. I know I'm not getting much, but at least it will take it out of her pocket.
Thanks Again,
Jean
If there is anyway possible do not give your husband a divorce, i have seen lots of marriages break up after 30 years and it is all due to a younger woman, he has found someone he thinks he wants to marry, so do not let him, maybe he will come to his senses, if not at least he cant marry her I am sorry that you are going through this for this is a low blow, ask him what happened to the young couple that used to be so much in love, ask him where that young man has gone, also ask him if he would like to be treated this way, when they meet a younger woman, all they think with is below the waist. hang in there and fight, and if you cant win take him for all the money he has  luck  jo
It is like an illness in some men.
My husband is the same, we were fine (actually we were the crazy in love couple for 25 years and sooo compatible), it actually started one day, most women can say the day it started.  He completely changed, the look in his eyes.

It is like a panic, i need to get out there.
It is cruel beyond belief.  
I met another wife in same boat only 10 years ahead of me.
the men go through phases
THE ******* PHASE
THE GUILTY PHASE
THE KING OF THE JUNGLE PHASE (USUALLY WITH A WOMAN 20 YEARS YOUNGER)
THE DEPRESSION AND REGRET STAGE,
Because they loose that intimacy, that mature love that lasted so long.  They loose more than they gain in the end believe me.

Why do nice people get treated like this.
I might have some insight for you but feel alot of anger (just caused). I have pretty good idea what might be going , on cause I am a guy
your story (and that of Goldie) sounds devastatingly familiar to me.  After 25 years in what I thought was a wonderful marriage, my husband just told me a month ago that he didn't love me anymore and that he hadn't been happy for some time.  The signs leading up to this revelation were classic midlife crisis.  He began spending hours on the computer talking to an old high school girlfriend on face book. He began spending the rest of his time at the gym or listening to chick music.  Anyway long story short, the best thing for those of us in this situation to do is research all we can on midlife crisis...because that is what this is...affairs and all.  We have to decide if we still want theses bozos in our lives (I still want my cheating looser back) But we can't force anything.  Even if we could force them to stay, it would backfire because love can't be forced.  Here's what we have to do if we want any chance of keeping the dunder-headed fools. Stop crying and paste on a smile.  Be their best friends.  That's it.  We have the edge here because we have been their best friends for decades.  (The Jezabel hussie can't compete) This I have found so far in my spiral toward divorce is emotionally helpful.  The husband really wants you as a friend.  I now feel I haven't totally lost everything because I still have the dearest of friends- even if he is making the mistake of his life with a cheap Truck -Stop Trixie.  I digress.  This friendship thing helps me emotionally, though.  I think it will help you too if you can do it.  Do Not Ask him what you could have done to save the marriage, or what is so great about her, or why he did this to you and the kids...these type of questions don't work.  He has no answers for them and he is ashamed.  He will lash out at you and see you as a *****.  This will lighten his shame. You want him to feel that guilt don't you?  So let him see he is leaving the sweetest woman and the best friend he ever had. Believe me on this...forcing, begging, pleading will not work.  We have to let these mutton heads figure it out for themselves.  We have to fix up our appearance, be very friendly and kind, and wait.  Maybe we will meet someone else before they figure it out... would that be so bad?
Hi yes I know what your going through, my husband and I are divorcing.we are in a different stage than you. I have done soooo much soul searching crying etc..I finally figured out divorce actually is a death its death of marriage, dreams and hopes of growing old together thats why we go through stages of denial, hopes of getting back to gether,,,then you bargain say you or he will change everthing can will be fine.then you get angry the name calling an fault issues set in.finally there is acceptance. thats where we are you just say ok enough. lets grow up and do this the right way. we have three kids and we really dont want to be enemies we shall forever be bound by the children even when divoreced evn when children are grown..
about the mid life crisis yup I think its one f the main reasons for our split up/
starts w him loosing weight exercising..grooming self differently buying younger looking clothing..could he be cheating maybe I dont really care thats on him not me.Im letting go.we just now are 3 months into the divorce have figured out a joint custody agreement for kids, and are working on how to split assets and debts...the darn courts want people to figure this stuff out selfes and believe me its in your best intrest to do it for selfs you dont want some man woman in a black robe who will spend maybe 15 min w you deciding your life for you.
agree 100 % w poster above whom said seperation is only good if working towards something...we seperate now till divorce is final for the weekends we alternate.,,,,there is too much nit picking and argueing when we are both home for those two entire days and its a good plan for us..we will likely live together for a bout 2 more months..he needs time to move out and I understand that..
I know what ya mean too about standing by him then kinda feelinglike you get the short end of stick..I stood by my husband when he wanted to start own business we lived on near nothing for years,,stood by him while his best friends died of a year long battle of cancer...then I needed a real serious surgery of neck my vertebares was disinegrating..he went to Florida..my 18 yr old son took me to hospital and stood by me.
sad.
   I have only been reading everyone post for just a few days, and I would like to say that I truely and deeply sympathize with each of you, and for what you guys have been through.  However, I must say that I get a little frustrated when I hear or read about women blaming other women for what their husband's have done.  By now you might think that at their age, they might just be mature enough to know better.  This is all a too common thing that happens each and everyday. You guys are not the only person(s) to have your husbands leave for other women.  I went through a similiar situation about 4 years ago. Only just the opposite.  I met a gentleman, who was much older than me.  He being 56 and I 36.  We met at a downtown local coffee shop.  The conversation was amazing, and the connection was instant.  We dated for 6 months before becoming intimate.   I know you guys might be thinking; WOW!!  Really, In all honesty, I was in love with him after 3 month, and wanted very much to express that love long before it happened.   If you know what I mean.   We lived life as if it were a fairy tale.  We shared everything; ie. thoughts, dreams, secrets, even talked about plans of getting married, and possibly starting a family since that he hadn't ever had children.    
   After celebrating our first years anniversary, his ex- older wife decided that she wanted to come back into the pic.  Long story short, I let him go, and blamed myself for what happened for a long time.  I could have been that little gold digging b__ch that every older women makes us out to be but i didn't choose to.  Sometimes I feel I should have.  It has been 4 years since our breakup, and I have long since picked up the peices, graduated with a double Masters in Psychology, started working on a Doctoral in Social Work, bought a new BMW, plus landed an incredible job.  I have an old saying" that I live by "never be so full of someone else, and empty of yourself".  You guys are incredible individuals and deserve only the best.  After the pain is gone the best is what you'll have to look forward too.
  I have read your devastating story, and can not even  begin to phathum what you have or are going through.  In all, you have to follow your own advice.  Whether this means sacrificing your self esteem by wanting to be with him or deciding upon letting him go.  Don't get me wrong I am not by any means criticizing what the others have said.  I only feel that by not getting a divorce from him could only hurt you more.  Sometimes we all loose sight of what is important in taking care of ourselves, by not letting go is only giving him power over you. You have already shown him and the world that you are a strong, and independent woman.  I think that we'd all agree that the 31 years of being a wife, and mother speaks clearly for itself.  I know that it is hard to forget, but try and find it in your heart to forgive.  When you allow someone to have control over you, the spirit dies.  In time all wounds heal.  Goldie, I think that  you are the most amazing person, with a warm heart and caring soul.  My advice to you would be to take a look at the amazing person you are in the mirror each day, and tell yourself that you are beautiful, and very much capable of being loved.  The pain won't last for long. I am sure he is already sorry that he left you.  Best of wishes
I feel for this person I myself am going through this same thing with my husben. Just one day out of the blue he tells me he loves me but not in love with me. Then to top it off he tells me that he has been with some then ask to come home and try to work things out. I say yes and that we can try but I am the only one working on trying to fix what went wrong. He on the other hand is still calling this other person and he has a second phone that they text and talk on. He knows I know about it and all I ever get told is they are just friends. All of this came about when my morther was very sick and passed away. Now I don't know what to think or really do I do love him but I don't feel he has the same feelings for me but again he says he wants to be there with me.
I feel sorry for anyone going through a crises, male or female. I am currently going through it myself and for a long time I didn't know what was happening. A happy marrage of 23 years and all of a sudden I was in a downward sprial. I could write a book on what I have been through to date. I have only come to realise and acknowledge to myself that I was in Crises. Though this helped it still has not stopped. I have all of the feelings as the others and in reading articales on the subject I found myself ticking all of the boxes. Even the younger woman, though things did not progress to a physical affair, but the thing that scaried me the most is that if the oportunity was there I know I would have. I have been as open and honest with my wife as I can be. I am lucky to have her love and devotion but I don't know how long she can hang on for me.
One thing I have realised is that through the education system there was no heads up on the Male Midlife Crises. Women get plenty on Menoporse, but we get no warning at all. My understanding of a Midlife crises was that it was a joking point. When a guy got a motor bike or a sports car eveyone had a laugh. Well it's no laughing matter. I don't know how to stop it.
I'm just very curious, what exactly do you feel?  Is it emotional, physical?  What are you lacking in your marriage that makes you feel that you need to look elsewhere?  Is it boredom?  Do you fear aging?  
It was partly physical aches and pains but mostly emotional. I wasn't looking elseware at the time things crashed down. Looking back at my marriage it had become a bit routine and maybe a bit stale at home, but we had good times when we were away on vacations. We didn't fight and we both looked forward to the day when the kids left home so that we counld get are own lives back. When it finally happened nothing happened. We were like two birds in a cage and when the door was left open we didn't see it. Regarding the other woman, we both started working at this place at the same time. She and I always got on well and she flerted with me alot. In the early days this scared me, but I got used to it and we just got along well. She now has her own marital issues to deal with, but I didn't latch on because of this, there were other things happening I my life that contributed to it. Yes, aging does have something to do with it also, My father died at 46 from heart failure, two weeks before my 21st birthday and I have lived with this in the back of my mind for half my life and now I'm at that age and it became real.
I guess people get so comfortable they forget how to get that spark back.  Plus, you are so preoccupied for years with the kids that they become your life.  I can understand how it happens.  I guess that's a huge fear of mine.  After years of being with someone do you get so bored that when someone shows some interest, you will allow that to take over?  I'm glad you've noticed it before it went to far.  Are you and your wife working through it currently?  I'm sorry about your father.  You have to try to live life to the fullest and not fear that the same will happen to you.

My relationship is 6 1/2 years along and he already had a 2 year affair.  We've gone through counseling and brought the love back.  He says he regretted it and really is ashamed for it.  My biggest fears are 1. he will get bored after years and years and do it again or 2. I will get bored and meet someone else I click with.  Although I'm more concerned with number 1 since I know I have better self control and understand consequences but I still fear number 2 since he did what he did and it may have changed the way I think in regards to how faithful does he deserve me to be.  However, I just don't think I could live with the guilt and would much rather walk away all together than hurt him or my son in that way.

Thanks for sharing.
She always showed some interest but I think that it was her nature. Things are very tense between us at the moment. When she first separated I didn't feel any different towards her, though sorry that she was in this situation. We work at a hotel and she stayed there for a couple for weeks until she got a place for herself and son. During her stay she was confronted by her husband and the police were called to remove him. She later moved into her own place but straight after she called in sick and was away for a week. I became increasingly concerned for her welfare and this is when I lost control. I only see my future with my wife. She says that she knows that I love her but she thinks that I'm not in love with her anymore. I don't know the difference. There were also a few other triggers around the same time. My sister turned 50, my birthday again and my friend in pain. What chance did I have? Looking back I have been dealing with it, in a more milder form for about 10 years. I can't speak for your partner, but I don't feel the same attachment as my wife and you do. I never have. I have always had an independant streak in me and sometimes I feel smothered with love. I can't tell her this because it would confuse her more. My wife thinks that I cheated with my heart and I did.
I've never had to deal with so much pain in my life. In the early times I would go for walks to try and clear my head. I once found myself in the next town sitting on a bus stop crying.
Have you tried seeking a counseling?  You sound like you may have depression or perhaps a personality disorder that makes you feel detached.  
I have just recently thought about talking to someone. I have had times that I felt depressed, but I come out of it after a day or so. It's just that this thing has been going on for six months straight and I can't get this other woman out of my head. I even took time away from work but it's like evey time I turn around I see her name. On car number plates, TV shows, movies, name badges when I go into stores and even phone operators, I can't get away and this only started 4 - 6 weeks ago. I may have to leave my work place, but for now I have to pay bills. As far as feeling detached, I don't think so, I just can't return the same level of love my wife expresses. I do love her and I think that that's why all of this hurts so much, that I would hurt her so much in this way.
It's just a matter of getting over the other woman.  It will take time but keep doing your best to avoid her.  You got emotionally attached, that's not an easy thing to just get over.  Even though you want to and you don't want to hurt your wife, your feelings are involved.  You won't feel the same about your wife until you are over this other woman.  Can you try taking your wife out on a date or going away for the weekend to bring the spark back?
Hi, one of the things we identified as an issue for us was that we only had one day a week together due to work. I have organised to take an extra day per month, which gives us a weekend together and sometimes a three day weekend. We normally try to go away for a dirty weekend. We also have had a couple of dates. We arranged to meet at the Mall, as you call it, after work and we have a coffee, a bit of retail theropy and dinner before going home. It has helped. And I know that I have to get over this other woman. It's hard when we cross paths at work. She normally speaks her mind with people but she won't say anything to me. Not even bugger off. Her silence is what causes me grief. I thought that if we could talk things over we could get through it and I could move on. I have worked with and become friends with many woman over the years and never have I become so attached as I have in this case.
You have to be grateful for her silence because the more you speak with her the more attached you will get and you won't be able to move on.  There should be no communication with her at all.  No talking anything over because there is nothing to discuss.  She is what will cause friction in your home life.  So just try to enjoy your marriage, it sounds like you both are making efforts to getting the spark back.  
What you say is right. We had a good marriage and life before all of this. I just want it back. I think she is still thinking of separation though. She sees a lot of change in me and I know I'm not the same person as before.
I know that you have had to deal with your own pain. I don't know if this helps you but it does help me. Thankyou. Did you guys separate at any point?
I'm sorry, I hope she doesn't separate and tries to forgive you and make it work.  When I found out about my fiance's affair I kicked him out only for a few days.  We had discussed going to counseling and so I let him come back home.  Although even to this day I regret letting him back home so quickly.  Not that we aren't in a good place now but it took a really long time to get there and I think if I had given myself some more time to think things through then I would've perhaps have avoided the ups and downs so frequently.  I let him back in because I started to miss him but when he was there I just hated him.  I was so angry and our fights would be so escalated that I would get physical with him.  I felt like he was forcing himself back in my life when I wasn't ready to forgive him and eventually he got frustrated because of my inability to forgive him.  So we nearly separated a bunch of different times throughout the course of a year.  Eventually though, we just let go of the anger and decided that we need to give our family a real chance.  That didn't mean just work on his part but I had to let go of the anger and let down my wall a little.  I had to try and allow myself to love him again and try to trust him a little more each day.  If he was proving himself to me, I had to give it a chance.  So I did that.  I still struggle with things every now and then but I'm in a much happier place now.  Have you and your wife thought about going to counseling together?
I was only out of the house for one night be for she ask me back home. What you have said is so much like what my wife is going through right now. Last night was a bad one. She struggles with trust, she was so angry and hurt. She is trying to compete with the other woman even though she has no idea of who she is or what she looks like and this is a point that she can't get past. I can't sacrifice the other woman for my sake. Vic doesn't even know that I still have to work with her. This makes the thought of counceling aukward. I also think that if she knew it would end the marriage. I cause her so much pain.
Yeah, that would make things that much more difficult for your wife.  You see, I had a million questions and the more he hid from me, the angrier I got.  I felt like I had a right to ask questions about the other woman.  He didn't want to answer for fear it would hurt me even more to know.  Which it did but him not talking to me about it seemed to hinder my ability to move forward.  If I knew the woman my fiance had an affair with was still around him every day, that would be a deal breaker.  He met her at his job.  He's a personal trainer and she was once a client but she would see him there like every day because she was a member.  When he ended the affair, she left the gym and joined another gym.  If she had stayed, I would've forced him to find another place to work.  I wouldn't be able to trust him if I knew she was still there.  I don't feel like I have to compete anymore because he chose me and his son over her but I understand how your wife would feel that way.  Knowing how much time my fiance spent with the other woman and knowing that he mistreated me during that time, made me feel like she was more special than me.  She got my time, she got my attention, she got my affection and even though I gave birth to his child, she even got him away from our family.  So of course I felt that I was competing.  But there was one thing she didn't have and that was history.  We've had years together, I've been there when he lost his mother, I've been there to support him when he lost his jobs, I've been there to help take care of his older kids and now I'm there to be the mother of his child.  She couldn't compete with that.  Your wife will be ok, if she's chosen to work it out with you than she will one day be in a better place.  You just have to make sure you do your best to show her that you love her and that you will do whatever it takes to make her happy.  She has to know you are remorseful, even if that means you have to apologize every day of your life.  She has to regain trust again, even if you have to check in with her all day long.  She has to be able to have confidence that she will not lose you to anyone else.  If you can do this for her, she will recover.  But understand, it takes time and a lot of hard work.  Just be understanding, forgiveness does not come easy.
We text and talk on the phone a few times each day. She just rang and said that she feels better and that she's not leaving. My son also works at the same Hotel as I do and that is an additional problem should Vic be given any information about the other woman. You know exactly what she is going through. I see it. I would push her away in the early stages and I could see it hurting her. I think that I pushed her away so that she would hate me. It was all so painful. Next time we talk I'll try to bring up our history together. It my give her something else to focus on.
Have a good night.
I don't think it's necessary for your son to know what's going on.  This should be between you and your wife.  The more people know, the more humiliated your wife may feel.  I do understand what your wife is going through.  I'm sure to her you were her best friend, it's hard to see your best friend get a new one and you're not your the best friend any longer.  That's how I felt, here my best friend has a new best friend.  My fiance's mistress knew personal things about him that only I should've known.  She knew more about him than I did because I didn't think that we had such a bad relationship that he needed someone else.  My fiance pushed me away and would fight with me to get away.  Like the arguing would justify him going elsewhere.  It would make him feel better knowing we weren't getting along.  But he was the reason why we weren't getting along.  It was his guilt.  I'm glad I could help...keep making her feel like she's your world and it will get easier for her.
Our children are 23 and 19 yrs, so they are aware of what is going on between us, but yes regarding the other woman I have keeped that to myself and one other person who is friends to both myself and her. Before all of this started in July we had a very comfortable life together. I had never entertained the thought of chasing another woman and I don't think I chased her as much as I became attached to her. This thing just grabbed hold of me one day and she can't understand that it could happen that quick. I quite often asked myself, "what's going on". I had no control of my feelings and normally I am a very controlled and quiet person. A big part of my job is to solve problems and I couldn't work this one out. I was a mess for about five weeks before I told my wife about my feelings for another woman, but she forced it out of me before I was ready to talk to her and things came out badly. If I had my time again I would not have told her. You know, my wife echos your words all the time.
I am relying on time to heal. I still struggle myself some days, but everday is a step closer to healing.
Most women feel the same when they are recovering from an affair.  We go through the same hurt, the same feelings of betrayal, the same anger, the same trust issues, that is why it's good for her to find some support.  Have her read some books on recovering from affairs, it will show her that her feelings are completely normal.  The book that helped me was "Surviving Infidelity" and I just saw Dr. Phil yesterday and there was a man who was cheating on his wife and Dr. Phil brought on a couple who had gotten through it and the wife wrote a book "My husband's affair was the best thing that happened to me", the author is Anne Bercht.  I am going to read it next.  My point is, your wife needs to talk with other women about how she is feeling or get into counseling herself.  Counseling saved our relationship.  
I was just thinking last night, what a help it would be for her to know that she is not alone in what she is feeling and going through. I will hunt down those books you mentioned. She does talk to a friend of hers that is experiencing similar problems in her relationship and she also talks to a work colleage who has her own councelling practice. We also spoke about concelling but I'm concerned that they may what to bring up details of the other woman as my wife finds this the hardest thing to deal with. That would be a stone wall. It's amazing that I could find someone across the other side of the world that I can talk to about this stuff. Even just to find this site. I somtimes think that fate is involved. This can't all be happening for no reason. We cuuised along for 23 years without a hicup. Yesterday I got home  and when I got out of the car I looked up and there was my wife in a new dress. She looked stunning. She gets a lot of looks when we're out and I don't mind. The next thing I knew we were in the bedroom. We haven't been like this since we were 25, and without kids. We have both had some good come out of it all as well. I have lost 50lb and my wife 35lb, in six months. A lot of stress involved but worth the results. We have our passion for each other back. But we also have our bad days. The other night we were on the floor, she was so angry and upset. She was pushing me and hitting me, but that's alright. I can take what ever she needs to express.
Good night
The thing about counseling is that it helps her talk openly about the affair and also gives her tips on how to get through it, my fiance hated talking about it.  Refused to even talk about it and we worked around it.  It was hard to understand why he couldn't talk about it but it was embarrassing for him to discuss.  He hated what he did and regretted hurting me and losing precious time with our son that he will never get back.  So in therapy just express to her that you don't want to even talk about the other woman because she is unimportant.  Hopefully you could find other things to discuss.  Funny because once we went to counseling and started working on our relationship, we realized how much love had been lost between the two of us.  How much passion had dwindled, how we didn't put forth as much energy to keeping things fresh and exciting.  We were just living our lives, together but yet so much apart.  We let everything get in our way.  Once we realized that we let the love die, we were able to spark it again.  I realized I needed to spend more effort on making him feel wanted, needed and pay attention to his feelings, and he needed to do the same for me.  We both were so aggressive in the way we dealt with our issues.  Instead of communicating effectively we would go on attack mode and nothing was ever resolved and it led into serious resentment and that's why we gave up on the love part.  We loved each other but weren't paying attention to each other.  We weren't nurturing our relationship.  So I felt angry and bitter and neglected and built up a wall and focused on everything but him and he went to someone else who was giving him what I wasn't.  It was sad how we let it get so far.  His affair was basically a wake up call to both of us.  We knew we didn't want anyone else, he didn't even want his mistress, he wanted me and our family, he just didn't know how to get out of that relationship.  But once we put effort in rebuilding us as a couple, well we've done a pretty darn good job.  I went through those moments of rage, they do dwindle down as time goes on and as your wife recovers.  Just have patience and you will see.
Thankyou.
You are welcome....keep us posted on your progress.
I thought it was over. After dinner on Friday night she looked over to me. I ask what's wrong. She started talking to me and told me how she was feeling. She asked me to leave. We talked calmly about how things had happened, how we both were feeling and she again brought up the other woman. She asked, again, to know what she looked like. I told her no. I can't do that. She said that I could save this marriage right now if I told her. I couldn't. I know it would finish our marriage if I told her. She continue to compete with someone she knows nothing about. We went to my daughter's hoome yesterday for her birthday. We both put on brave faces for the day. It was hard. When we got back home we talked some more. I asked if things had changed since Friday night. We talked about moving past her need to compete with this other person. She felt confused. She won't go to counceling, she donesn't feel ready yet. She told me that she hadn't even talked to her best friend about things, she is aware of our problems as I rang her when I first spoke to my wife about what was going on. I know that if I do have to go at some point, I won't come back. I still struggle with my own feelings. It's like a roller coaster.  
I'm sorry, I understand how your wife feels.  Those ups and downs are so horrible.  You go one minute loving your significant other to the next minute wanting them to leave.  All I can say is have patience with her.  If she needs the space than give it to her.  She's trying hard to recover and it's not an easy thing to do.  
We had another talk the other night. She can still see that I am stuggling. I am going to see a counsellor this evening. I hope this can help. My wife feels better though that I am going. It may help both of us.
Tony.
Oh yeah definitely.  Its what made me give my fiance another chance...he had asked me if we could go and he wanted help.  Just showing you will do what it takes says a lot.
The counselling went well yesterday. I feel more reassured about my feelings. But I think my wife may need to talk to someone also if she can't move on. it worried me when she told me that she hadn't been talking to her best friend.
I wouldn't mind talking to her if you want.  I won't tell her who the woman is but you can tell her I have experience with affairs.  I can give you an email address.  Or have her go for some individual counseling herself.  She needs to work through her issues.
I'll talk to her about that. I can't have her on this Forum in case she stumbles onto my stuff. She may also be a bit sensitive at the moment if she knew that I was talking openly about this to another woman. She doesn't what anyone to know that I have seen a counsellor, not even my family. I have to tread carefully. Thankyou for the offer and I have thought that it would be good for her to talk to you as you mirror her feelings so well.
No I understand, my fiance is not aware that I wrote all these things about what has happened.  He would be furious.  He is embarrassed enough at what he did, to find out I put it out there on a public forum would probably be the end to our relationship.  Not to mention that I talk with men.
It's sad I think because this has helped to settle me down. I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't stumbled across you. It's given me somewhere to release my feelings and thoughts and to also gain an understanding of what my wife is feeling. That helps me to deal with these issues with more understanding. I also hope that you and other woman can get an understanding of how men think and feel. We are different, but it doesn't mean that we don't love you and sometimes we get confused. We simply are not used to expressing our feelings openly. My wife is also very embarrassed about what I did and that my family knows. She has a strained relationship with her family and is actually closer to mine. She held our marriage on a pedestal and would boast about it to others.
I did the same, held our relationship and him on a pedestal and was shocked when he did what he did.  I trusted him enough to have a child with him.  I never did that with any other relationship.  That was the greatest gift I could give and felt completely blind sided when I found out he did what he did and especially when I was pregnant with our child.  It was a stab in the back.  Everyone thought we had the perfect relationship, they thought we were an outstanding couple.  It really changed a lot.
It must have been terrible for you to have that happen at such a special time in your life.

Our friends and families thought the same about us. She was my first love. I meet her at work. I was a very shy person and I was always scared of being rejected by girls. However, I plucked up enough courage to ask her out and she said yes. Funny thing, I was called out to a Bushfire that afternoon and stood her up. No mobile phones in those days. I called her later that evening to appologise and things went on from there. I proposed after a few weeks and we were married within 5 months. Been happy and content for 23 years. I hate this thing that happened. I feel like if we stay together we will have this thing haunting us for the rest of our marriage. I don't know if we can withstand such changes after such a long time together. I know she needs to talk to someone about it. I don't know how bad things will have to get before she does. It might be too late by then. She says she just can't get past it and feels that talking won't change that. Maybe it won't. Yesterday afternoon was better though. I worry about her state of mind. Just before we met, she was in a bad place, mentally, and did something silly. I'm scared if we split she could do it again. I think she is stronger now though and she would have to support from the kids. They're great around her these days.
Yes, it was rough, it tainted my experience.  My first pregnancy ruined, the birth of my son ruined, the first year of his life ruined.  But I'm trying to move past that and have slowly been letting go of the anger and resentment.  I think your wife just needs time.  I felt that we now have this stigma over our relationship.  Like now I can never say my man never cheated on me.  But no relationship is perfect and you would be surprised to learn that so many relationships deal with infidelity.  Some days for your wife will be good and some will be bad but as time goes on her bad days will be less and less.  My fiance worked a security job at a bar/lounge Thursday night and I didn't even get anxious and I didn't have any distrust.  He came home earlier than I thought he would and I had no doubts.  A few months ago I would've been struggling with it.  I hope she does find some support.  Have her read that book "my husband's affair was the best thing that happened to me", I really think that would help her.
I find the hardest thing to deal with is that my failure were my feelings. I felt something for another woman. There was no physical betrayal and yet I'm treated the some as if there was. People feel sadness, happiness, loneliness, love and much more and I don't think that you can just turn feelings off. I know that they can be controlled and I lost control. I had so much of my own conflict to deal with at the time. I can understand to a point that it upsets my wife but...I didn't physically cheat on her. She says that she could never have feelings for someone else, well I didn't expect to either. I know she feels that I fell out of love with her and I quess that that's what hurts her the most from all of this. I will try to find the book, but she is not a reader. I will have to ask her if she is interested in reading it first.
I left my note book at home the other day and she went through it looking for a name or number. She also will go through my phone contacts at times when the opportunity arises. She tells me. I hope you're right and the bad times fade. We did have a good week prior. Thanks again Mami.
I think emotional attachments are just as dangerous and even though it wasn't sexual yet it might have led there eventually. One of the ladies on here is dealing with her husband's emotional affair. He cut it off before it became more but her feelings of betrayal are just the same. Her hurt and trust issues are the same. My fiancé had both the emotional and physical affair but it started as a friendship. That's what hurt so badly. I think if he had a one night stand I could've dealt better with that but he got attached to her. To the point where he struggled with ending it with her. He knew he wanted me and his son but was sad to lose her and that's what hurt me the most. He could see me hurt but yet her feelings mattered to him to. I just couldn't fathom that. Looking back now I understand it but at the time when we were going through it I was just fueled with anger and hatred for the both of them. She told him she loved him. How dare you tell a man who isn't yours to tell him that. She didn't care about my feelings or my son's. It was horrible. So I completely see how your wife feels.
I understand and you're right, it would have gone further if the opportunity was there. I knew that and that's what caused me so much conflict. The physical and emotional pain that it caused me was unbelieveable, it was as bad or worst then the day I lost my father and the pain went on much longer. I'm lucky that Lisa is such a strong person because I had no control of my emotions at that time. Lately I have found that my attachment to her has eased. I don't see her name anymore and that's nice, it was getting a bit much. I now feel that when I find another job I would leave, whereas before I would have passed up a job to stay. I'm looking forward to a new start, actually. I know that things between us will be much better when I get out of there and especially if I get work near home. When we drive passed my Hotel she can't even look at it.
Take care.
I am in a similar situation to some of you above and boy, can I relate to what you are saying.  It has been excellent reading your stories and comments.

I was married 24 years, we had finally achieved all we aimed for, my husband had retired and I wanted to keep on working but we had received financial comfort and had a lifetime ahead - we had literally everything we had worked for.

I can see some warning signs now - he started to spend more and more time on the computer - that became his life - but I left him to it as he said that was his creative side wanting to express itself or some such nonsense.

I had to visit my mother then returned and found he'd had an affair with a woman I actually had meant once or twice - an ordinary woman, in a not too happy marriage with two young kids.  He hates kids by the way.

When I started looking into what he was up to he's actually been prowling around the internet for years and in some cases acting like a real predator and grooming women... he's still doing it now but I've kicked him out.

I did love him for all that time - I did everything - but I can't life with this shattering of trust.  It's broken and can never be replaced.

Angry - yes I'm angry - and I'm also very very angry at the 'other' women, even though I know she's a victim, I feel the need to shatter her life as much as she has shattered mine - but something is stopping me - maybe because of Karma - she will get her dues in due course......

I don't know - this is a long and painful process and I'm just starting out.
Hi, at first when this thing started with me I had no idea what was going on with me. At no time was I ever looking for another woman. Our marriage of 23yrs was near perfect. Two great kids and a comfortable lifestyle. These feelings came from nowhere and I could not deal with them. Mami has helped me deal with a lot of these feelings and to also help me to understand what my wife was going through, once I opened up to her. It has been the most painful life experience ever. We are doing well now though I still am dealing with these feelings. The other woman involved has had her own problems to deal with and we have kept apart. She was never to blame for what developed in me.
This forum has been a huge help and comfort to me when I needed to talk to someone, (Mami). I hope that it can also help you along the way to a happier place.
Thank you lost, I'm glad I could help.  You've come a long way and I'm glad your marriage has survived.  Estimate I'm sorry that you are going through this.  It is a very painful experience.  Especially when you have been with someone who you thought you knew and it turned out, they weren't who they seemed to be.  I don't blame you for being angry with the women.  I know I was really hurt and angry with the women who helped to ruin my life.  However, you are correct, karma will win out in the end.  We are here if you need to talk or to vent.  I hope you can start your life over and know that there wasn't anything that you did wrong.  Hope you can find some peace and happiness soon.
Time is healing and I am lucky in that I am in a vibrant and stimulating job with good friends - but every now and then, as I am driving somewhere or turn to look at something, doing the most mundane things - I think of how my husband of 24 betrayed me - and can't even articulate what happened or even say sorry.

He simply walked away from everything - his second daughter (who I helped raise) she had a baby a few days ago and he hasn't even rung to say congratulations or check on how she is.  It is his mother's birthday today and he hasn't contacted her.

We chat every now and then - I kicked him out about two months ago - and he swings been massive anger and blaming me for everything and being concilatory as if nothing had happened, or if it was it was such a minor transgression that it means nothing.

I simply don't know who he is anymore, and I would never never even contemplate a life together - yet if someone had told me this would be happening even five months ago I would not have believed them.

Tell me more about what has happened to you and how long does this go on for - I'm still very new to this 'game'..... and while the calm is increasing the shafting hurt strikes at the oddest moments.
Hi, as for how long it goes for, I can't answer that as I haven't got there yet. For me I have been going through this for the last 10 months. It wasn't until last December that I even acknowledged, to myself, that I was having a 'Life crises'. Prior to that I was totally confused and a mess as I didn't know what had come over me.

I think it all started with my friend. She split from her husband, and while this didn't change our relationship at that point, it lead to it. I know now that she is also dealing with a 'Life crises', but she doesn't know it. What triggered me off was a point when she suddenly was off work for a week, after a confrontation with her husband were we both work. I become so concerned for her that it brought out feelings for her I didn't know I had. I couldn't control these feelings. I have been married for 24 years this month and it was a happy and content marriage up to this point. I might add that we are both still together and happy, through a lot of talking, tears and anger.

When I eventually told my wife about these feelings for another woman, I crushed her. To do that to someone you love is terrible, but it just come out one day. My wife had known for sometime that there was something wrong with me, but never contempated that. I thought that I could handle it and it would pass, but no. I would push her away. I just wanted to be alone and run away. The only thing that stopped me was that I at least reconised that this was not normal for me. So I resisted these urges and I'm glad I did. I did, however, Google 'Mid Life Crises in Men', and I found that I fitted the mould perfectly. The thing is you can't be told, you have to figure it out yourself. The best advise I read for partners on the other end of it is that you have to look after yourself first. The person going through this has to go through it. I turn 50 this year and I don't want to.

Nobody expects this sort of thing to happen to them nor do they want it. I feel as though I could right a book on what I've been through to date. I don't think that he knows who he is at the moment.

Through all of this, to me it was never about her even though she was the trigger, it was what in the hell is wrong with me all of a sudden. Now, I have to bottle it up a lot and shield my wife from it. I can't hurt her again like I did. I use this place to chat to Mami when I need to. She has been great and I am luckly that she found me.

I did go to Councelling a couple of times, but by that time I was answering a lot of my own questions. For me, the suggestion of Councelling before I understood what's going on, would have been met with anger. The very suggestion that I was have a 'Life crises' did not go down well.

Try to Google those sites I mentioned, they helped me to understand.

I hope to have that inner peace again soon.

Take care.
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I can totally relate, except my husband and I were actually divorced and living together for the last 10 years, we had been divorced for 2 1/2 years and married 4 years before that.  Hope that makes sense.  Two years ago he asked me to leave and I suspected he was having an affair, which I'm positive he did, but would not admit it.  My neighbor had seen him talking to a woman and I myself found little things around the house.  Last year he kept talking about taking off in an RV and that if he has to wait for me to retire he'll never get to do what he wants to do and he'll be too old to drive an RV and his diabetes will be worse...etc...anyhow, he called me at work one day said he'd packed all my stuff and wanted me to leave.  I was so shocked and hurt, although I do admit I saw this coming as he'd been getting rid of stuff at the house.  Two months after that he had a small RV and left to Arizona.  No explanation, would not talk to me, wouldn't look me in the face.  I have no idea what he's doing.  I cry off and on and sometimes I think maybe he's going through a midlife crisis...I don't know.  I don't know if there's another woman.  Our life had actually become pretty routine as all he talked about was saving money for an RV and he wouldn't want to go out or do anything.  I'm trying my best to be strong and go on, but I have my moments.
I am going through something similar - in that my partner/husband of 24 years suddenly went through a mid-life crisis but I didn't know what it was at that time, and we've now separated and I feel like my heart and soul are breaking.

I've read a lot about male mid-life crisis and he ticks every box - but I didn't know what it was so hindsight can't help - but even if I had know more before I don't think there would have been anything I could have done.

It's in their heads.... it's their problem, that's a fact, but that doesn't help you or me..... it's devastating - but, and I don't know if this will help, you are not alone, there are a lot of us out there grabbling with the same issues and wondering how the man they loved so long could do what they have done.
Thank you guys for your comments. It has helped me understand a little bit better.  I have been with my bf for 2 years and we just had a baby 6 months ago. He was having an emotional affair with a girl in Montana and then he cheated on me with her when our son was 4 months old. I was devasted and dont really know where to go from here. We broke up but he is still living with me. Its just so hard....
I'm sorry orangebutterflies. I am all too familiar with the pain you are experiencing. I hope you can figure it out soon enough so you can begin healing. I have created an infidelity group if you would like to join. My heart goes out to you.
i can't take this  heartbreak anymore.  i feel like a knife has been twisted into my back and each day it gets deeper.  i've gone insane and i don't even want to go on anymore.  i can't deal, help, please.  all his friends were our friends they sided with him now i'm the big bad monster.  i never did anything to deserve this how can you men be so heartless and cruel? you hit 40 and disappear, and think that's totally alright?    
Hang in there. I was once at a stage were I was driving along and I thought that if a truck took me out there and then I would be OK with that. Thankfully that feeling has passed. There is so much more to life. You are young and there will be better times ahead, I'm sure. Unfotunately pain is a part of life, as is love and joy. You will get through this. You're not alone.

My thoughts are with you.
Anyone going through a mid life divorce, my heart goes out to you.  I was married for 39 years.  My husband had cheated on me during our marriage but i chose to stay because i did not want my children to grow up without a father.  I am old school, Hispanic, and thought i should bear all the pain.  In Oct of 2009 my husband went on a business trip to Ohio. Before he left he told me how much he loved me, and he would not be the man he was if it were not for me, putting up with all he did.  I really believed all the bad times were behind us.  We were getting ready to retire and making plans.  
He left for Ohio.  He only called me twice while he was gone. He returned on a Sat. and was suppose to be back Fri.  He was very mad at me for trying to reach him while he was gone.  I read a text from a woman he brought back from Ohio with him and she was waiting for him, somewhere.  He was to meet her that Monday morning.  Come to find out she was the neice of the one of the men who works in his office.  She has been married and divorced 4 times.  Many hurtful things were said, things that will stay with me forever.  My children are devasted.  Our grandchildren that adored him do not understand.  My heart is broken.  He was my first and only love.  I devoted my life to him and our children.  I feel like such a fool.  
We are divorced now.  Him and his girlfriend live here in the same town with me and my children.  He rarely contacts our children.  We were all disposable!  
Please hang in there i know exactly what you are feeling.  I wish i knew the words to say to make you feel a little better.  I promise it does get a little easier with time.  Remember your family loves and needs you.  That is the only reason i am here today.  My Kids!!  Please hang tight and know that it will get easier.  If you believe in God ask him to help you.  It could be worse!  
My wife dumped me people just do this because they are pieces of ****. Your husband is a gift wraped **** I know what you are going through but this is life we think we know people then they change on you and cheat on you no matter how much you want things to work out they just don't and it hurts.
I'm sitting on a ticking time-bomb. My time will come, I know. He already looks at porn. I am aware that he does not get the same buzz out of me that he used to. He used to hang on my every word. He used to adore me. But those days are long gone. Everything changed when he reached 41. Now my menopause is fast-approaching. I don't hold out much hope for our future. He already criticizes my lack of libido. I can't keep up with him. That's why he uses the porn. He also loves the company of younger women. It's nature, I suppose. Men can't help it. It's part of their animal nature to be attracted to the young and fit. A man's virility outlasts his female partner by many years.
I don't know where you are and what ever happened to you but I hope things worked out. My husband did the same thing to me after 23 years. I am falling apart. I've experienced stress related issues and financial difficulty. Anyway, all these people telling you it's your fault are wrong. He walked out on you. I hope you're ok and you got your life together cause it would be an inspiration to me if you have.
wow, listening to all this i can relate. Its going on two years of this when i decided im not taking this **** no more. I have lost my job becuz they closed down. and i'm  husband less now and homeless becuz of him. one week my brother dies and the following week his mothers dies. i thought and prayed it would change things but it didnt it only got worse. I'm n the middle of getting a divorce and going n his pocket something i never did!
Trying to get passed it. hes a selfish man. thk god we have no kids. i gave him 27 years and out of that i was married for 13 years. yes he has to be going thru a midlife crisis he says no. thats a lie! but im moving on with my life selling my home becuz i need to get away from him for good. there no turning back. hangin out coming home late please i know the signs already and enough is enough.  
I thought like a fool that i was the only one to have had to deal with a bad bust up My husband left me for a girl 24 years his junior, i saw some of the signs and believe he was suffering a midlife crisis. We are now going through a divorce he believes he has found complete happiness with this girl we were married for 16 years. we had no children because he is sterile but he thinks all this modern medicine will help him to start a family with her. i have beautiful children from a previous marriage that treated him better than their own father,i suffered a major stroke three weeks after he left me to start his new life. I will always love him but can't be bothered with him and his sparkling new life.I believe what goes around comes around and Karma is a B...h.
I went through a similar situation exactly like you. My husband left me for another woman ( I got all the e-mails which she sent to him and could see what a trash she is).I tried everything in my power to help him out. I went on with my life  in a very dignified manner. I am really happy, I could do that. People admire me for my strength, character and integrity. I am proud of myself. My sincere advice is go on with your life. God has  a plan for you. He will take care of you. I know, you already survived. Please don't wait for him. It is not worth. Do you want a person who became a trash. We never keep trash, Right. We throw trash away.
I am like the rest of you.  I was married for 17 years and he left and I have just found out that he has moved in with someone who I know of and she has a reputation of living with men and ripping them off.  She has been taken to court three times by her ex's for stealing money from them.  My husband knows this and does not seem to care and he has been warned by a few people.  He has refused to answer my emails and phone calls and this has devasted me.  I just feel sick all the time.  He finally answered my email today as I am trying to sell our house and said that he will only answer my emails and will not answer any phone calls to his mobile, home or work.  That makes me feel like a piece of trash.  He said that you cannot help who you meet or fall in love with.  I can understand that but to live with a girl after three months that has this reputation is beyond me.  The hardest part is not being able to talk to him about anything. How do I cope with this as I can't.  I am heart broken. It is so not like him to treat me this way.
Hi Goldie and Esperanza    

I know what you are going through with my greatest sympathy and best wishes. I was married for 32 years with 3 grown up children and 6 grandchildren. I met my ex husband when i was 17 and he was 19 and like you my best friend and soul mate. we were very happy but had our ups and downs like normal couples do. 5 years ago he left overnight with the clothes he was standing in, got a student flat, cut his hair short shacked up with a woman that he was seeing while at home. After 12 months of leaving without any reason or explanation why, until this other woman shown up again, that he yes he filed for divorse to me, even the sol had to laugh, on the divorse papers to me was that i threw a leather jacket away and went shopping instead of going camping with him, no mention of the affair or who the other alien was, I say alien because after 5 years now, after the devastation to me and my children i now feel that i am on the mother ship now and he is stuck with the alien ow. I still love him no matter what has happened ,but always remember, that has got me through this, we was and always will be  their 1st love and no alien can take that away from us, the other woman,they are the 2nd and will never have with them, what we had and that is memories of our love and family, sorry ladies who took our husbands all i can say to you all is, you obviously did not have a life before and preyed on others good fortune
He will never be happy as he will always carry the memories and the GUILT .

Have you ever read the book men are from mars and woman from venous, it is a insite to how a man from mars show no emotional or feellings to mankind and the woman from venous shows the love and the nurture to others, i hope you read my comment, and good luck, stick with it the pain gets easier, as i said get on that mother ship.

I feel i need to comment to the wifes or partners that are going through the pain that i enjoured 5 years ago.  I do feel that the male midlife crisis  does exist, but us woman will never understand the behaviour behind it, they give no reason or explanation for their behaviour and put every emotional pain it was our fault, only when the other woman pops up, as i said on my last comment the alien, as we all feel as the wife, the alien has invaded my private life and my family.and as all us wifes feel should not of taken our good fortune I feel when the midlife crisis ends, the husband or ex husband will never have a relationship with the alien because of TRUST and they only stay because we did not want them, putting us through the pain was enough,  I was told that some men come from mars the book men are from mars woman from venous, to make the babies, and then they go through life leaving us with the shell with nothing in it, some men may comment on this, but sorry men i am a wife that has been let down by the only man i loved, and hope to help the other woman going through the same thing, The other woman will never replace you, you hold the most precious thing and that is the true love and the memories, they are the fantasy and the false one. Best wishes to you all and good luck, like i said before get on the mother ship that is the best, to me you are in control of the alien.
Midlife crisis are an intense emotional breakdown brought on with the advancement of age, or even just perceived aging. I am really nervous my husband will get it really bad, he has always been neurotic and anxious, at 20 he was genuinely worried when he had a gray hair and when he god a bad cold/fever he hoped it wasn't cancer... I try to prepare myself for identifying it, and getting us into counseling or saving up for a spontaneous trip to Australia (his dream land) something to bring him out of the dumps, he also has a history of depression as do i. I think the hardest part would be to get him to counseling, even though he sent me when i was depressed and he knows it works...

www.creditscore.net/midlife-crisis
This is a more light hearted take on the midlife crisis. hope everything works out!
I am totally just amazed at how many of us woman this has happened too. I also lost my husband a year ago the day before Christmas he had started being so verbally abusive, on the computer looking at porn and so on. Then he left like I said the day before Christmas. I had a nervous breakdown and ended up in the hospital for 8days. He came to visit once and I found out he had his new girlfriend drive him there to see me. When I got out I had no idea where he was. Weeks went by and finally he called and had moved in with her in another state. Said he loved me so much. Said he would come home if I said to. I told him NO. It has been a year and I finally have filed for divorce and changed my number. His son from his previous marriage who is 21 came to see me. Said that his dad hated the other woman but was stuck with her now. Went over there and got in trouble with the police and she put her house up on bond. All kinds of crazy things he told me. I think he is on drugs with her. Im finally at a place where I am not hurting over him. I know he will use this girl and dump her when he is finished with all she has. Thank God he is gone from me. After 14yrs of marriage I dont think I knew the real him.
Wow, I am totally amazed. I did not realize that there were so many other women going through my situation. After 24 1/2 years of marriage my ex-husband left me for a woman 12 years younger than him. In 2009 I got him cheating on me with another woman, we worked through that affair, or at least I thought we were working through it. Things were getting better lets say, but in Sept. of 2009 his cheating behavior started again, and even though he denied it, I knew. I left him, I moved from FL to KY, left a good paying job, lost all my furniture, and I have been struggling to support myself and my 3 teenage daughters ever since. We have even suffered through being homeless. With all this, I tried for 10 months after that to keep my marriage together, then I gave in and signed his divorce papers. I was divorced Jul 2010, he married his young girlfriend shortly after. However, denying that he cheated on me. Not until I decided that I did not cause this situation was I able to come to terms with myself. With a lot of praying and support from all my wonderful friends, I am finally pulling out. I am on my way up. God is raising me to a new place and making a better person out of me in the process. I had never heard of Mid-Life Crisis in Men, and it has answered a lot of questions for me. I just didn't understand how many people this affected. I thought maybe a few, but it goes a lot farther than that. When I first started going through this with my ex we weren't able to talk nice to each other, he would say things just to hurt me and swear it didn't want to hurt me, he wouldn't help financially support the girls until the court ordered it. He wouldn't call the girls, which broke their hearts. They were so devastated that their daddy chose someone like this younger woman over them, which he said he didn't. He refused to see anything through the girls eyes, or mine. He always justified what he did by blaming it on me. Now I know why. Quilt is hard to live with.

I'm happy to report that I am able to speak to my husband on the phone, and we even speak nicely to each other. We have a new grandson, which he has not seen yet, but he is only two month old. So hopefully, he will come see him soon. I pray for him all the time, I pray for my family. Yes, I still love him, very much. Am I crazy, maybe. But you see, I have been with this man since middle school, we didn't marry until we were in our 20's. So you see we have had a very long life together, with lots of history and lots of memories. That is something he will never be able to take from me. And the best thing is our 3 beautiful daughters. Like all the rest of you, I do believe in kharma. It even teaches about it in the bible. I do believe in the word of Jesus Christ. So I hope like my husband that all the rest of your husbands are prepared for what is about to come their way. So keep your heads up and just pray. God has a perfect plan for you!!!!!
I am in the process of divorce myself after 20 + years of marriage to a creep!  It sounds so common now a days. These men forget there marriage vows. They definitely do not do anything to help the situation! Our feelings mean nothing to them. Men forget that they are not the only one in the relationship. I have learned to separate myself from him and put all my love and caring for myself. I told him after a couple of months that I was over him. Meaning I have no more love and caring about you. Please keep in mind if you go back granted the cheating and abandonment will happen again. We women need to get smart and move on. He did me a favor I am so happy not having him around until my divorce is finalized. I did everything right and I will not tolerate his stupidity. I really am so sorry for all of us who have similar situations. Think about you and treat yourself as # 1 always believe me you will get through it. I won't lie I was devasted when I was presented with divorce papers which I was at no fault of. We can do it ladies let's show them that we are better than they are! God Bless You All!!!!!

I was married with 3 of his sons youngest being 3 wks old when my ex left. Yes I was devastated, angry not for him not wanting me but for how he left, no talking no counseling etc. First I had to go back and realize how we even started a relationship and decided to get married. When I was truly honest to myself God was no where in the picture. It was what I wanted, when I wanted and thought it would work and he likewise. He was not into church and still is not, so there were really no deep moral values on his part. I went through him and the affair with another women and I could have stayed like esperanza1949 stated," i did not want my children to grow up without a father."  But I chose to seek my heavenly Father, I prayed and asked God if this marriage is not of you, please remove me from it. My husband eventually filed for a divorce to be with the other women. I was hurt and he told me that no one would ever want me with three children. If I would of stooped to his level and begin to think that, then I guess nobody would want me. Instead I rose above that start putting my energy into being who God would have me to be. It affected my sons but I raised them to forgive their father no matter what, and they are not responsible how he treats them, but they are responsible for their actions toward him. I further raised and encouaged them that they have a heavenly Father who promised to never leave them nor forsake them and if truth be told he is the one that is and will always be the one who takes care of them, and if they were to look back over their lives and think things over, God has never left them yet. that has been 18 yrs. I have one son in manangement for ATT, two are in college with one graduating in May, yes their father never attended a graduation, prom football game or anything.....but as one of my sons wrote in an essay, outside the frustrations he did have towards his father....his father actions only made him a stronger man as to never want to do this to his family when he marries...... No matter what comes he has a heavenly father in whom he can rely on.......As for me right after the filing and a week of being mad, there was such a peace that came over me, I could breathe again...in fact about six months later I ran into the other women, she wanted to run to avoid me I said no, I just wanted to thank you and wish you had done it much sooner. If I would have worried about the children having a dad that was unhappy, fighting me and drinking from anxiety, then they possibly would have picked up the traits... and that would not have been healthy for them mentally..... I lived sixteen years without him raised my three sons, may not at times had the things we wanted but we always had what we needed and he still yet blessed us at times beyond that......I read a lot of commens where women where angry wanting to take them to the bank..YOU CAN'T MAKE NOBODY WANT YOU and I surely don't want anyone that doesn't want me.....trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to thine own understanding in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He  shall direct thy path.........no matter how much you love a man, TRUST GOD AND SEEK HIS FACE!!!!!!  HE WONT LET YOU DOWN!!! NOT YOUR WILL BUT LET GOD'S WILL BE DONE IN YOUR LIVES.......AND SOMETIMES HIS WAYS OR NOT OUR WAYS AND HIS THOUGHTS ARE NOT OUR THOUGHTS......BUT HE KNOWS WHATS BEST FOR US EVEN THOUGH OUR WEARY and TEARY EYES CANNOT SEE........WHOM GOD PUTS TOGETHER I TRULY BELIEVE THAT NO MAN OR WOMAN CAN PUT ASUNDER...........As for our children put them in God's hands, I don't know of any of his children that He has dropped...........TO ALL BE ENCOURAGED......
He's seeing another woman. Oh dear, brace yourself for these upcoming months. It's going to hurt like he'll- literally. Your best defense is to call on your hero- she' there inside you. She is called your intuition, and she will lead you through it. You will experience fear, despair, anger, sorrow, jealousy, rage and then grief, which is most confusing. Allow your body to experience to feelings, that is it's way of purging the pain and restoring balance to this loss. Look to the future by seeking new dreams. This glimpse of hope will be your lifeline. And your guide will be your Inner guide- intuition. Be good to yourself. Don't let him lie to you. Set your boundaries and most of all take much care-
Maybe he was just having a bad day. Sometimes, when we are too down, we say things not meant to be said and just leave it alone undone. Just try to understand him at the moment, give him time to relax and have a peace of mind. Do not try to make things worse, by having some second-thoughts like you accuse him of having an affair to another woman that is why he said that. You would just make things worse if you tell that. You would just also add jealousy in relationships which is not helpful at the moment. So just be calm and be the wife your husband needs.
I can fully understand what you are going through. My husband will be my ex-next month left me the same way because his so called 20 ys. old daughter told him to go back to her mother. Throwing him into an mlc at age 42. I had been with him 20 yrs. (12 married) and we have a 6 yr. old son whom he doesn't see but every other weekend. I have felt the same way you have. How can one change so quickly and overnight and turn off all the history we had together. I have filed for divorce to protect myself and my child from his immature irresponsibilities of late. I wish he would apologize for all the hurts he caused this famiily too and acknowledge he is wrong but he is too angry right now to see he is wrong. I miss him so much but I can't live like this forever it hurts to much. Audrey
My  heart aches for you. I have been going through the exact same thing with my husband. We were together 30 very happy years, in fact all our friends were openly jealous about how much we were still in love then one day I discovered he had been living with another woman for 8 months. He is an expat living in Africa and would come home to me on leave breaks. He told me he still loves me but he has fallen in love with her. I kind of understood that him living so far away he was craving the company however after him telling me it was over with her and I was the only woman in his life I then discovered he was still seeing her and he explained to me that he wanted to keep us both. SELFISH!!!
He has hurt all of his family, his kids and he has completely devestated me. Now he has decided to come home to a new job here but get this....he is bringing his golddigger with him. She has proved over and over that she is only after his money and goes out partying when he is away. She even generously gave us all an STD. But he still doesnt see what a nasty woman she is.
Men are always saying that they cant work out woman...........well I have to say middle age men are far more complicated than any woman I know.
I have been sitting here for an hour reading all the things that i thought only i was going through. i cant believe i am not alone. 32 years married more than 1/2 my life and 6 months ago my husband told me like alot of you he wasn't in love with me anymore. didn't see that one coming although i should have. He joined a gym changed the clothes and now  i find out he has a 30 something girlfriend he had been seeing since last fall. i am devastated to say the least. I have loved this man almost all my life. All our children are grown and we have 5 grandchildren, now he is seeing someone with young children. This was supposed to be the time in our lives for us now.I wish i could understand it all. I moved into a small apt and am trying to cope divorce is pending, the hardest part for me right now is the loneliness, and isolation and betrayal i feel. i just am having a hard time moving forward. So much history, forever. I cant stop asking the question WHY?  
I know of the loneliness you speak of. On my 19th anniversary my husband was caught lying about some text messaging then finally admitted he was texting another woman after I had already saw the text. He began to tell me that out of our 21 total years together that the last 13 he was unhappy but was "pretending" for the sake of our daughter. I don't believe him when he says it was 13 years because we have had an amazing life and it seemed to get better with each year.  So of course I am depressed and hurt by his inability to communicate with me without all the poison that comes from his mouth.  He tried to convince me and others it was because of me that he is leaving but I am not taking responsibility for this because I am a good wife and mother and I work hard for everyone. He went to counseling for 4 sessions, the first 2 we argued, the next one we did some work and the last one he used to tell me he was done with me. He loves telling me how done with me he is and how he is moving on. He changed bank accounts behind my back and even refinanced one of the cars without my knowledge. He is sneaky and cold.  He is treating our daughter badly just because she is not responding to him the way he wants her to respond.  He just leaves her and does not talk to her. He always has bad remarks to say about me.  In 21 years he has never seem me mad to the point of being physical but he has driven me to the point of suicidal and crazy!  I lost too much weight and now I am under 100 lbs from the stress.  I do love him but I am losing the love because he wants to give me $1500 a month but the mortgage is $3200 a month so what now? Do I lose the house and my husband? My daughter used to have this confidence in her that is lost. She is trying to be there with me every moment to make sure I am not crying or hurt.  In the midst of this my father has an aggressive form of stomach cancer and I am so upset with the news but I can't lean on the one person that I have been with  half my life and I am just angry and sad.  I hate the loneliest but I can't bring myself to ever love another.  I pray all day everyday and I stay in the Bible but the pain is still here and it is not leaving me.  I appreciate hearing a man's perspective of what goes on but at the same time, every man does not cheat or lie or walk away from the family otherwise women would just wait to meet men after they went through the crisis.  I am just keeping faith that God's will be done and somehow in my pain I will benefit from this.
Hi, We had just returned from a 30th anniversary trip to Hawaii, when 2 weeks later, my husband's girlfriend rang the phone at 10:30 pm on the 4th of July a year ago.  She asked for him by name and when he came to the phone he pretended it was a wrong # and hung up on her.  Then the doorbell rang and I knew my world as I knew it was coming to an end.  Our 20 year old son was home at the time and I wasn't ready to deal with telling him what I thought was happening so when the doorbell rang and my husband went flying out to deal with the girlfriend, I tried to distract my son and act like nothing was up.  
I had already been suspicious because I'd been diagnosed a year before with Herpes and HPV.  He tried to blame it on me saying I must have been fooling around with a boyfriend before we got married, but I'd never had sex before marriage.  When I was first diagnosed and in agony, his response was, "What have you been up to." which was very insulting.
I, too, thought we had a great marriage.  We have 3 grown children who are wonderful and now a granddaughter on the way.  I gave him a second chance and found out he had still been seeing her again.  I let him live downstairs for a while till he could get a place and after a few months suggested counseling yet again, which he agreed to.  After 1 month he called me while I was getting my hair done and told me he didn't want to try anymore.  That was 8 months ago and I made him move out the next day.  We are now in the process of figuring out a divorce settlement.  He hasn't talked to our kids about it, he just acts like everything is normal when he's with them.  He hasn't told anyone he works with or his own brothers and sister.  I did talk to his brother's wife and she told his brother who called to tell me that I will always be part of their family.  In the meantime, my own brother is terminally ill and my heart is broken.  
I have great faith in God and that is what gets me through each day.  Every day I hand all my worries and concerns over to Him and I concentrate on what is happening in that day.  I have some wonderful friends who care about me and my children are loving and supportive.  I know that one day, something good will happen in my life and I choose to be happy every day.  The sadness over my marriage is there and always will be, I just don't focus on it every minute of the day.
I just got on this website today, and I myself am wondering if men go through some sort of crisis all of a sudden.  I have been with my husband for almost 11 years.  He hasn't mentioned divorce or separation or anything...yet.  But I almost feel as if he is pushing me to be the one to ask for it.  His actions, behaviors and the hurtful things he says to me are very out of character and I am finding myself speechless to the things that he is doing and saying.  We have always been so happy and I love him more than anything in the world and can't imagine my life without him.  But recent events have made me question what his intentions and priorities are and whether or not I hold a spot in his future.  Last night he was gloating about how he was telling a friend of ours not to propose to his girlfriend and all of the negative things that go with getting married.  and they were things like you can't go out and buy a 4-wheeler whenever you want, or parts for your toys, or go to strip clubs...basically he told him all of his freedom would be taken away from him when he put a ring on her finger and that she might seem great now, but as soon as he marries her all of that will change.  Made me feel like, wow...sorry your marriage is so terrible that you can't point out any positive reason to tell your friend to get married or congratulate him on his decision to take the next step.  I was utterly speechless and honestly don't think he has said anything else that has hurt me more than that conversation.  I haven't said anything to him about how I feel yet, not even sure what to say.  But that was definitely the worst of all the recent events and find myself for the first time truly questioning where I will be in a few months from now and whether or not he will be by my side and hurts more than anything.  I've given so much for him and sacrificed so much, and he has so much (toys and otherwise) I have nothing more to give!  I know he loves me, in some sort of way I think.  But I guess it's not enough.

I feel for you and your situation, I hope you can find happiness in your future.  I hope that one day he wakes up and realizes what he's lost.  I truly don't understand what happens in their head that makes them suddenly not care anymore.  I am realizing more and more all the time that it takes two to keep love alive, and why one suddenly wants more than that one person who truly loves them, who is there at every waking moment through thick and thin is beyond my understanding.
I am so sorry you are going through this, and that probably doesn't comfort you either.  I am 1.5 yrs into a separation. What you are experiencing is his Midlife Crisis. I too have been married for 30 yrs. I got the same speech. I spent the first year crying. It is a process.

My husband and I are now dating. I don't know if we will work out or not.
My advise to you is to read everything you can on Midlife Crisis...and just be kind to him, even when it's hard.

Hang in there, and God bless you on this journey.
midlife crisis....whatever....

The truth is that men in their mid 40's are mostly single and looking for a younger, more attractive, smarter woman that takes care of herself because it is then, in their 40's when they realize that their marriages sucked for 25 years and now they know what they really want...men's thought process is slow (no offense, but is the truth) so they marry young cause they probably got douped into it, worked their ***** off trying to raise a family while the woman stayed at home "with the kids", but really doing nothing, nagging all the time, eating everything they find, staying in their pajamas all day, 25 years later the man says "screw it" the kids are old enough to understand if I leave their mother....Women are clingy and they would stay just because they have it easy or because of habit...and the fact that they probably got too fat between having kids and staying home...25 years later they are so comfortable in the marriage they dont have the energy, education or looks to get out of a unsatisfactory but consistent relationship...
Is he cheating?