Dogs Community
Chihuahua swaying and looking disoriented....

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

OK...So I have a female chihuahua that is 1yr and 5 months old and is currently pregnant right now..latley she has been experiencing some weird signs that have gotten progressively worse since she has become pregnant...the other morning I let her out to go potty and she couldnt walk in a straight line and she almost looked like she was drunk and she ended up running into one of the walls... and then it goes away.... and she acts normal again. So, I immediately scheduled an appt. for her at the vets office. At first, I thought it may be hydrocephulus? or however you spell it... but we got there and the vet checked her fontanel and it was fine...so they ran blood work on her and I had to wait for the results. Well, then  that same night after her vets appt. it happened again.. and then the next morning it happened again...Although, last night and this morning she was fine and hasn't had an episode yet... I got the results from the vet and they said her alkaline phosphate level was a little elevated and they wanted to see her in 4 weeks..because there is nothing they can do right now since she is pregnant..So I really would like someone's help in trying to figure out these weird events that keep occuring with my dog...and its not because she is pregnant... she was doing it before that too...the pregnancy has only itensified it...PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thanks!!:)

Too bad, it would have been wise to figure out the problem before breeding her, if you say she was showing signs. Pregnancy is hard enough on the little mamas, and can make underlying problems worse and dangerous for her and the pups. I hope she has a safe delivery. There really is nothing you can do right now but wait and run more blood later on. Also worrying about genetics comes to mind, and what these puppies may be inheriting from their mom. A simple exam and health screen before breeding can avoid these problems.
Well, I actually got to talk to the lady that gave me my dog and she said that my dogs mother used to do that too when she was pregnant.. so, I think she may be alright...she doesnt eat that much so I think its just a slight drop in her blood sugar or something...thanks for your help..