Dogs Community
Chronic Yeast infections

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Chronic Yeast infections

Hi my 5 year old ShihTzu is on a Grain free diet (Merrick Before Grain-Buffalo) and is regularly groomed. Last month she developed a yeast infection in her ear. I took her to the vet who put some medication in her ear and gave her an allergy shot. She said that it is due to allergies to something. It cost me $100 for that visit. This month she developed a yeast infection in the other ear. I cannot afford to take her to the vet again, so I tried putting Vetrocin in her ear and cleaning it out with apple cider vinegar. After a week of this, the ear is not clearing up. I cannot afford to take her to the vet again and am at a loss. I saw some recommendations about changing the food, but it took a long time to find food that agreed with her and did not make her break out in a rash. She is allergic to grains.
Well I have switched her food to one without Yeast extract in it and treated her ears with Zymox. She seems to be doing better. I will hope it stays that way.
Hello....Glad to hear your girl is doing better......Zymox is one of my favorite products.....My Holistic Vet prescribes it for ear infections and/or Yeast Infections.......I have used it for years before he ever made mention of it......

Other things for you to do:
Add Wet food for at least one meal a day.....Extra moisture will help keep toxins flushed from her system and is vital for healthy organ function......No dog should live on dry food alone....

Next: You need to add a good probiotic to her meals....If your feeding a high quality food, it's possible that the kibble is already coated with a probiotic.....However, it is not enough for therapeutic use....

There are many good quality probiotics on the market for humans & dogs......I have found that "Pearls"is easy to find and easy to give....You can buy them at Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, etc.....It comes in tiny pill form.....Your dog will need one per day for at least 60 days....If constipation occurs, give every other day......This will help her rid the yeast out of her body.......

Again, I'm delighted she's doing better......In case you don't know, Zymox can be used daily for as long as you need.......Keep us updated on her improvement....Thank you for checking in.....Karla