Dogs Community
Corneal Cloudiness Causing Blindness in Puppy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 3 month old puppy was born blind. I got him two days ago and took him to the vet yesterday. She said the problem is not cataracts, but rather in the corneas. Both of his eyes are very cloudy looking. She did a "cotton test" whereby she let cotton drop in front of his eyes and he did not respond. She believes he cannot see anything. She is thinking that he may have been exposed to a virus and that has caused the problem. I have an appointment with the ophthalmologist on Monday, but wondered if anyone heard of this before, and if corneal transplants would help. I'm also wondering what to ask the ophthalmologist, so any advice is appreciated.
Kobi's Dad
Hi I adopted a 2week old puppy who's mother kicked him out of the nest and left him to die the breeder did not know why and she asked me if I could take him on.I did and this baby Cocker spaniel really responded  I became his world .he was so confident that for about 8 weeks we did not realise anything was wrong.
But he bumped into things if he did not know the place. Took him to the vets and he said he had a bit of tunnel vision but that had nearly gone and he was blind .
His mum knew.... thats why he was kicked out.talk about 6th sense.

I was his eyes as he was young he knew no different .He knew every word I said he used to hurl himself into our swimming pool when I said its clear  gallop over fields  
when I said wheeeeeeeeeee.Stop on a sixpence when I said careful.He loved life we had him for 12 wonderful years.This is just in case nothing can be done...... so just love him and enjoy your time with him.

Anyway google what you want to find out like blindness in dogs and what ops they can do.Also ask the resident Vets on here they are very helpful.
I just had  a litter of puppies and at 3 weeks I started to think one was not acting the same .By 4  weeks I really was thinking something is wrong and at 5 weeks I started to do tests  my vet told me at 6 weeks old our puppy is 100% blind  born this way ..She is now 12 weeks old and doing GREAT  blind dogs can live just as good of a life as a dog that can see .Yahoo has some good groups for people with dogs that are blind and you can use a search engine to help too .  I just wanted you to know to have  a blind puppy is not bad at all  they can go outside go in the car they can do just about anything a dog that can see can do ..She is now doing steps all by herself  going potty outside  and LOVES to play get the kitty haha Good luck with your puppy