Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Autonomic Epilepsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Autonomic Epilepsy

Could anyone tell me what is Autonomic Epilepsy and the symptoms that go with it. I have had episodes going on for over 5 years now and I still havent got a positive diagnosis. I have seen quite a few consultants and now under the care of a neurologist. He has prescribed Sodium Valproate for me but I still dont know for definate what is wrong. I have other health problems including high blood pressure, underactive thyroid, type 2 diabetes recently diagnosed also osteoarthritis and anxiety and depression. I have had loads of tests and they still dont know what is wrong with me. The symptoms I have are, I feel as if I am going to pass out, my blood pressure goes really high  the highest reading was 240/120. The pupil in my right eye dilates and I have a burning sensation going across my back and down right arm. These episodes last anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I am absolutely terrified when I get them. I would be most grateful if anyone could give me any idea what is wrong.
Here is he definition of Autonomic epilepsy.

Autonomic epilepsy aka visceral epilepsy

Definition: epilepsy, usually psychomotor, in which the attacks are initiated by visceral symptoms or sensations; most cases have their focus in the temporal lobe.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/dict/visceral-epilepsy.html#ixzz105hUXWNP

Symptoms and Signs Remarks-

Cardiac/thoracic:
Palpitations, chest pain, tachycardia(high heart rate), bradycardia(low heart rate), arrhythmia, hypotension(low blood pressure), hypertension(high blood pressure) - More common in right temporal mesial foci; potential SUDEP with arrhythmia

Respiratory:
Apnea(times of not breathing), hyperventilation, hypoxia(low o2 concentration), cough - Particularly in temporal foci, hippocampal, and insular involvement; potential SUDEP with apnea

Gastrointestinal/abdominal:
Ascending sensation (dyspepsia or indigestion), pain, hunger, borborygmi(stomach growling), nausea, vomiting, belching, urge to defecate, fecal incontinence - Particularly in temporal mesial foci; vomiting in occipital and opercular foci; pain especially in children

Urinary:
Incontinence, urgency - Detrusor muscle contraction in absence seizures and external sphincter relaxation in GTC

Genital:
Genital sensations, erection, orgasm - Genital sensation in sensory cortex; sexual arousal in limbic and temporal cortex

Cutaneous:
Flushing, erythema(red skin color), cyanosis(blue color to skin), blanching, pallor(white skin color), piloerection(goose bumps) - Can be unilateral

Pupillary:
Mydriasis(excessive dilation of the pupil), miosis(constriction of the pupil), hippus(irregular dialting spasms of the pupil)  - Can be unilateral; must be distinguished from cerebral herniation

Secretory:
Perspiration, salivation, lacrimation(secretion of tears in excess) - Frequent in GTC

Differential diagnosis of ictal autonomic phenomena includes organic diseases of the viscera (eg, carcinoid, pheochromocytoma), hypoglycemia, panic attacks, and primary autonomic system dysfunctions.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1186872-overview

I know it sounds like a bunch of medical terminology but it was the best i could find. I put the meanings of the terms in parentheses for you. Hope this helps some for your symptoms. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to find an answer for you. I would like to mention I am not a doctor and this is just info from research online.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through, it must be frightening. Do you have any other kinds of doctors you are seeing? And what tests have they done to try and find a diagnosis for you?

As for the symptoms you are expierancing, I personally don't have any expierence with. But the other people on here will hopefully be of more help with that. Everyone here that I have talked to are very knowledgable and friendly. So I really hope you find some of the answers you seek!