Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Autonomic dysfunction and exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Autonomic dysfunction and exercise

I was diagnosed a few months ago. my cardiologist told me not to exercise... sit and do everything... get an office job.. and so on. my new cardiologist says exercise EVERY day.. well i have bad shortness of breath, and mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. im starting slow on a treadmill... but what other exercise might be helpful in regaining control over my life again?
You may not feel as in control of your circumstances as you like, but if you are going to do a treadmill, I'd recommend having an attendant there that can help you monitor your heart rate and hold on to you if you start to faint until you feel confident about being okay with that.

You may want to try recumbant biking.  I used to lay down and use a traditional stationary bike some that way.  With recumbant biking, you are getting exercise without having to be in an upright position.  I had a doctor recommend I practice standing against a wall to try to help with my heart rate, but I don't think I ever did much of that.

I do leisurely walks about the house myself for about thirty minutes a few times a week to try to keep from getting extremely deconditioned and am thankful to God I've been able to continue to do my laundry.

You might try while sitting using a spirometer like they give you in the hospital after surgery to help increase your lung capacity.  And you might try in through the nose out through the mouth while excercising.

You may want to do your exercise during a time of day (if there is one for you and provided it isn't late into the evening) where you heart rate doesn't tend to go up as much.