Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Do nerves repair themselves?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Do nerves repair themselves?

Do nerves repair themselves? My ANS is not quite right as I am susceptable to low blood pressure from dehydration and orthostatic hypotension. This seemed to start this past June when I had a vasovagal syncope while on the commode. I fell off, hit the wall and broke my neck. Fortunately, the nerves were not broken. I still have tingling fingers on the last 3 fingers of each hand. The Cardo Dr. prescribed 30-40 mmHg comp. stockings. This has helped with the lightheadedness upon rising from a bent over position. Will I have to wear these forever or do the nerves heal themselves? I am taking coenzyme B complex, omega 3,6,9 oil, vitamin D, calcium/magnesium & multivitamins every day. I exercise everyday and swim laps 3 or 4 times a week. I am on no medications.
Hi! That's a very good question! I know that when we are injured a chemical called Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) normally increases as part of the healing process, and though some nerves may be damaged beyond repair, healing can happen. I suppose it depends on the circumstances.
I sustained some nerve damage during a wisdom tooth extraction many years ago, and was told to increase my intake of B vitamins, especially B6, but no other advice was given. That area of my lip and gums remained numb for years. The numbness is gone now, but I have a reduced sensation of pain in that area, so I would describe it as partially healed.

Actually, I think, experimentally, NGF was found to heal wounds - ulcers, fractures etc. at an accelerated rate. I don't know if there are any studies showing it's effect on the nerves themselves.
It's good that you are able to exercise so well. I wish you good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be seeing the ANS doc at the Mayo JAX clinic 12/2 so I'll see what they say.
It depends upon the nature/cause of the dysfunction/damage to the nerve cells as well as the type of nerve cells, as I understand it, with regard to the prognosis of recovery.  This is something that is definitely best discussed on a case-by-case basis with your physician.  The general answer that would apply to everyone at large would be "maybe."  :-/  

Sorry not to have a more helpful answer.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20030616/epilepsy-drug-topamax-targets-diabetes?pagenumber=1

...Topamax also appears to reverse some of the nerve damage  that leads to a painful condition called peripheral neuropathy, one of the most common complications of diabetes, in which diabetic people often feel like their feet are being stabbed by needles or that their hands are on fire, he says....
That was interesting reading. Thanks for pointing out that article.

I do have occasional stabbing pains in my toes from nerve damage when I broke my back 20 yrs ago. I have an occasional mild burning sensation on the backs of my hands from my broken neck this summer. The topamax seems beneficial except that my occasional diastolic of 50 can't handle another 10 points dropped from it.
Among my vast number of problems I have small fiber and peripheral neuropathy and am being seen by Dr Vinik who runs the clinic. I tried Topomax (topamax) but had horrible adverse reactions. I first tried it for migraines and then gave it another try for the neuropathy. I do not have diabetes.
I had to have reconstructive surgery on my nose, right orbit, cheek bone and the main nerve that exists under the check bone after being hit. I was told that I had a good chance of the nerve "repairing itself" since I was under 40 at the time. It took over a year and I started completely
numb and it's still not completely normal but it's a million times better.
Mind you my nerve was damaged from trauma so it might be different. I just wanted to say yes in some cases nerves can repair and work.
Like I believe Heiferly said maybe is the best answer.
Don't give up hope!