Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Treating Nausea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Treating Nausea

What treatment have you found to be most helpful in treating the nausea/vomiting commonly associated with many forms of Dysautonomia?  Please elaborate below.
50%
 (3) 
Phenergan {Promethazine}
16%
 (1) 
Zofran {Ondansetron}
0%
 (0) 
Reglan {Metoclopramide}
33%
 (2) 
Other {Please Elaborate Below}
6 Members voted
I take a low dose of promethazine (generic for phenergan) every 6 hours.  Before I started taking it I was feeling nauseated almost constantly, and it has helped with that.  
Phenergan works well (for migraines too), but I try to avoid it because I can't stay awake on it.
I have had no luck with any of the usual anti-emetics (phenergan, reglan, zofran, compazine) and also just finished a trial of domperidone which I had to get from a canadian pharmacy as it is not available in states. So still no relief. Sometimes eating small meals with 'soft' consistancy helps, other times the only thing that helps is not eating. I have found a muscle relaxer, zanaflex, that was prescribed for my chronic headaches/migraines to be the only thing that helps. But, that puts me to sleep so is of limited use if I want a normal life!
I can't tolerate Phenergan because it causes me to hypoventilate.  I may try it again at some point, but I guess I'd have to be taking a respiratory stimulant with it.  (I'm not sure Theophylline is strong enough.)

At the moment I take Zofran.  Unfortunately, I shouldn't be taking that either because of my arrhythmia.  So, I'm kind of having some difficulty with controlling my constant nausea at the moment.

I recently tried an OTC chewable tablet called Nauzene that occasionally helps mild nausea, but isn't even close to strong enough to control  the vomiting.
Please try over the counter car sickness medication!!!  A pharmacist recommend it and it not only relieves the nausea but also takes a bit off the dizziness.  Cheap too which is nice.  I've been doing that for years and it is by far the best I've found (even over the prescribed anti nausea stuff)
Sounds interesting!  Is there a specific OTC medication you can recommend?  Thank you for the information.
Are you talking about dramamine (tried, no luck) or Bonine (aka meclizine hydrochloride), also tried and no luck. Also tried those arm bands, no luck. But maybe they can work for someone else, hope so! I think I am just a stubborn case.