Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

symptoms

I'm new to POTS so right now  i'm trying to learn as much as i can from as many sources as i can. I was told i have pots after a TTT when my heart rate went up by 50 some beats as soon as they tilted the table, and i also fainted 6 min into the test.
Here aree some of my symptoms:
- increase in heart rate when getting from supine to sitting, and further to standing
- fluctuations in blood pressure
- mild headaches
- chest pains that range from mild discomfort to excruciating
- occasional palpitations
- occasional shortness of breath - particularly after effort
- panic attacks
- occasional mild headaches (i usually just ignore them)
- exercise intolerance
- joint and/or muscle aches/pains in my arms and legs at rest (to me this is a weird one and i wonder if it's related to pots, or it's something different altogether)
Do any of you relate at all to my symptoms? Are these common for POTS people? As you well now there us not too much info on the topic, and even most medical professionals are clueless.
I'd appreciate if you could get back to me.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Alex
Alex,
My son has most of those symptoms and then some.  He also has GI issues, with debilitating nausea.  Have you looked at dinet.org for information?  It has a lot of info on that site.  It has a list of symptoms etc...Muscle ache and joint pain is a listed symptom.

Christy
thank you for the suggestion Christy,  i find that website to have a wealth of info.
Alex,
I am a POTS patient like you. The worst parts of mine are the pain, tachycardia, and inability to exercise or really do anything that requires exertion. I also struggle with stairs. I go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and they gave me a whole packet on what to expect and what to do to help a little. My advice, eat a lot of salt and drink a lot of fluids. It helps with the blood pressure and makes me feel a little better all around. Good luck to you.
-Alison
Alex,

Your symptoms sound like they are right out of "textbook" for POTS, so hopefully that puts your mind at ease somewhat.  There are many different lifestyle changes and medications that can be tried to alleviate the various symptoms.  

You may find information in our Health Pages that is helpful in learning more about POTS symptoms, POTS treatments, etc.:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=196

Just a note that our health pages are a continuous work in progress so please "pardon our dust."  

Feel free to continue asking questions, and welcome (if I haven't already welcomed you? sorry, bad memory) to our community!
-Heiferly.