Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Awful smell coming from nose after wisdom tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted just over three weeks ago. The wounds seem to be almost fully healed, but a truly awful odour is coming from my nose. The more deeply I inhale, the stronger the smell. I would liken it to the smell of excrement or of a rotting dog's bone. I also sometimes get a bad taste from the drip at the back of my mouth. My nose isn't at all runny or blocked, and though i've tried to blow it thinking that there is some foul smelling mucus, nothing comes out. It's getting unbearable, and i've called my oral surgeon only to be told that i probably just have a sinus infection and to use a nasal spray. This seems to have only made things worse and the smell has become stronger. I had never had anything remotely like this until after the teeth extraction, so i am thinking they're related. Please help me out, I work in a sales environment and this stink is putting both the customers and co-workers off.
Find a Specialist @ a University, that specializes in Sinus Disease. Regulary ENT Dr.s don't seem to have the answers for these conditons. Perhaps some do, I've just never met any. I have been ill most of the year, I have smelled burnt coffee 24/7,it has been intolerable at times. However, I am going to see an Expert in Sinus Disease on the 8th of November and I have faith he will be able to help me. There is someone out here that has some answers. I hope we will all find him or her.
Blessings to you.
Most likely, an infection has entered your sinuses through the wisdom teeth wounds.  Not common, but not freaky, either.  It should go away in a few weeks, and antibiotics will clear up the remaining infection in your tooth-holes, but not in your sinuses (insufficient blood flow there).  I have invented a new saline sinus flush that is mildly risky, but entirely effective for weird smells and infections in the sinuses. However, it will take 2 weeks to find time to update the instructions, so check back then.
Smellynose:  I was out sick today, by coincidence with the beginnings of the same Dog-Poop-and-Parmesan smell that you are talking about, which I just cleared up for the 4th time. So I had time to rewrite the manual for the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, which is now posted on my Journal, under that title.  It's risky, because it involves bending over in a hot shower to get saline solution into ALL of your sinuses, to wash out the infection.  However, the awful smell may eventually make you suicidal, so it may be worth the risk.  By the way, tooth infections go into your maxillary sinuses, which are the easiest to clean out.   Good luck.
I had a top molar pulled a couple weeks ago and had the same smell and mucus and when i blew or sniffed i could smell it.  I am on antibiotic, so it may have finally been what worked but i also took an over the counter antihistamine and it worked right away, the smell is gone.  and i had it for like a week straight.  Hope that will help you.  I used generic zyrtec
Thanks you so much for posting this! I have searched the depths of the internet to find the same thing that has been happening to me. And you hit the nail on the head with the description. It is the most disgusting thing i have ever experienced and today is the 11th day after my 4 wisdom teeth were extracted. (the taste has been occuring for about three days) I have a follow up appointment today with the OS so i refuse to leave with out something that will knock this out. Anyone who is experiencing this knows that it will drive you crazy-i was depressed b/c i could finally eat but didnt feel like it b/c the smell and taste was so terrible. Hang in there and i'll post what my OS has to say about it. Thanks!
OMG!!! The same thing is happening to me as well! I was sniffing all over the house for a dead rotting rodent or some rotten food behind the refrigerator, stove and in cabinets. It is an awful smell!!! Its has been 15 days after the extraction of all four of my wisdom teeth. This post has really helped me. Im just going to finish off the Amoxicilliin the oral surgeon prescribed and we'll see what happens.
I had 6 teeth  pulled 3 on the left and 3 on the right. It has been 4 months with heavy duty antibiotics and absolutely no relief. Help!! I have lost over 20 pds ( no complaints ) however I can't afford to buy any more clothes and the money I spend on tissues is insane. Please tell me that there is relief somewhere. The smell is getting unbearable especially when I lean down.
Definitely stay on the antibiotics for possible remaining gum infections.  However, if you Google "CNN Sinus Infections" you'll read what we already knew here, is that antibiotics aren't removing your sinus infections, which often happen after tooth extractions.

First, start with a Neilmed Sinus Rinse, available at chain drugstores.  If that's not effective, the infection's in the upper sinuses, so a Sinus flush would be needed

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

In the meantime, STAY on the antibiotics.
I am 4 weeks post upper molar extraction.  I had a sinus perforation and dry socket.  I too have this HORRIBLE smell and post nasal drip that is unbelievable!  I have been on Pen VK, Clindamycin AND Augmentin with no help!  I am going to see ENT on Monday and PRAY-PRAY-PRAY they can fix me!  Whenever I lay flat the nostril on the side of the extraction gets stuffy.  I am using Sudafed every 6 hours with minimal relief.  Any suggestions?  Prayers please!!!!