Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bump behind ear and on neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bump behind ear and on neck

Just today I found a midsize bump behind my right ear and a smaller size bump on the inside of the right side of my neck.  They both hurt when touched.  Could this be a pulled muscle on my neck?  I'm just wondering if I should go to the emergency room.  I don't have a headache or a strained neck or anything...wondering what to do?  
Not sure where this bump is. But there is a cyst that forms commoly where the ear lobe and neck meet. Honestly, it is highly advised not to play with them, and not to try to pop it...   they can get out of hand in an ugly way if tampered with.  But if you fear this thing will get out of hand, then go see a doctor, he/she will probably put you on Keflex etc for this issue.

I had a cyst go crazy on me one time on my neck. It started out as a bump the size of a BB. Then to a Pea, then to a Pecan.  Uhh the pain.  The doctor did not want to remove it because it was inflamed....  (truth is, it is not a good time to do it while it is inflamed)  But he did drain it with a syringe a little. Just enough for my body to do the rest.  

Eventually it went down and stabalized to the size of a pistachio.  I asked to have it removed, and they did not want to, because it was stabalized and doing no harm at the time?  NOW DOES THAT MAKE SINCE?  Wont remove it when it is infected, and wont remove it when it isn't?  So I had a doctor friend of mine take it out at his office... just for fun, so to speak.