Chronic splitting of skin inside my nostrils
For some reason the skin on the inside of both my nostrils continually splits, heals, and splits again.  I do have allergies frequently which may contribute to the irritation, but I don't understand why this keeps happening to me.  The area affected is the skin inside my nostrils that is bottom most towards my palate.  It never occurs on my septum or on the outer area of my nose.  Also these two splits seem to always occur in the same spots.  They split, hurt, scab over, and heal.  The natural salinity of my nasal secretions adds to the discomfort.  I do have a tendency to pick at the scabs because they itch and annoy me because they look and feel like boogers.  I can actually see where the skin is sepparated when I look in the mirror.  This problem has been going on for many years and I was wondering if there is anything to be done about it.  It drives me nuts!  I hope someone out there can help.
Sorry, I can't help but I have the same problem. I've had my issue about a year in my left nostril. Even if I don't touch it for a week (which is hard sometimes because I won't be able to breath out of that nostril) it eventually flakes off a big scab when I blow my nose one day and starts to bleed again.
i have the same problem. i went to a ENT and he told me my nose membrane was to dry. My nose would bleed like crazy from the thin membrane and it would take about a hour to stop. So he told me to put Bacitracin ointment in my nose 2x a day. on monday it will be 1 week since my bad nose bleed that was on January 25th and today its the 29th January. I had had 5 nose bleeds since New Years Eve DEC 31st 2015.He said it would take 2 weeks to heal. It feels very uncomfortable, because i can feel the scab and sometimes i want to sneeze. but i have to control the urge to blow my nose. well anyway thats what is happening to me right now. I just hope it heals quick!!
As my husband would say "GOD love ya" I suffer from the same trouble and know of only on 1 other person,not that it comes up at the lunch table.I wish I could help .I use sea breeze to clean it then a little neosporin,my DR isnt crazy about the sea breeze but it works for me.It is so painful it brings tears to your eyes. But it helps clear it up. Fellow boogie mirror users unite!!! I know its not a booger but the general public doesn't.
My nose does this too and has done for the past year.  I'm a doctor and I have no idea why it happens - it certainly wasn't mentioned while I was training!  
I have no idea either. Ive had this for years and years. My girlfriend seemed to catch it from me. She never had it hapen until she met me. I was worried it was some kind of herpes but expected to see more on the net about it if it was.

Mine are very painful at times too. My eyes water with even the slighest of touch to my nose.

I find that a dab of the alcohol hand sanitizer keep it at bay. Now that will make your eyes water!
Have any of you tried Bactroban for this?  I have seen good results.
Thank GOD this happens to other people!!!!!! I am so releaved it's not just me. I have suffered from this for about a year almost never without a cut up one or the other nostril, and it is so painful and at the very least constantly uncomfortable. I did hear that the skin up your nose takes a very long time to heal, but WHY does it happen in the first place??? It is truly bizarre. I hope it goes away!!!
Ive had this horrible, painful issue for about 8 months now. I am currently doing the Whole30 'cleanse', which eliminates dairy, sugar, grains, soy, alcohol for 30 days. I am 8 days in, and my nose has healed 100%. I believe its the sugar and/or dairy that is causing it. I know for a fact that allergies can show their faces in bizarre ways, so I would encourage you to try eliminating these from your daily diet! What have you got to lose!
I have a slit like cut in my left nostril and it is right at the front of nose. It is sooo painfull and the cut is getting bigger! I also had a nose bleed the other day and I have never had a nose bleed in my life! It wasn't coming from the cut either it was coming from inside the nasal passage and I could taste the blood in my throat it was horibal! Can anyone help because it also feels like my nose is caving away were the cut will not heel! Its very wierd. Help
berrryyy!

I have a slit like cut on my right nostril in the front! the insides of my nose get raw and scab up and it hurts! It's been happening for at least five years or so!

WHY????? I never had this before and then  2 years ago I noticed the slit like cut, it looks weird .

I haven't gone to a doctor I keep waiting for it to disappear, it does sometimes and I think ok it's not coming back but then it always does! My nose will feel completely normal and then the scabbing begins again out of nowhere! What is the name of this condition?????? I have to do something. the slit  looks like it can slit more and that seems inevitable as more time passes.

Someone please help :(
berrryyy!

Someone please help :(
OMG .. I have same problem for years now  an at the moment its turned into very painful sore in my left nostril and outer side of nose is swollen an painful.. wish i had some answers as to why this happens..:(
I have had this same problem ever since I got allergies!  When the nose drips, it all congregates at the tip of the nose and lays inside just at the opening of the nostril and it must have some nasty enzymes/acid in the fluid to make the nostrils split like that.  My nose is constantly wet!  I am asuming it's from allergies.  It splits, and if I bump it it is so painful it sends me through the roof!  I uses Neosporin on it whenever it happens and it usually clears it up in 24 hours but then I have to keep putting it on about every other day for maintanence to keep it under control.
I have the same thing, and have been told it is a symptom of high blood sugar (I am type 1 diabetic). I also have other individuals in a diabetes network who have experienced this when their levels are not in control. It was considered that the capillaries around the end of the nose are similar to those in the extremities of the body and organs such as the eyes, and therefore too much sugar affects them badly.

I am not sure if this is right, but there does feel like there is a connection between a sugar binge and my nose splitting. I have not had a doctor verify this, so just a thought.
i have the same problem. i went to a ENT and he told me my nose membrane was to dry. My nose would bleed like crazy from the thin membrane and it would take about a hour to stop. So he told me to put Bacitracin ointment in my nose 2x a day. on monday it will be 1 week since my bad nose bleed that was on January 25th and today its the 29th January. I had had 5 nose bleeds since New Years Eve DEC 31st 2015.and have not had a history of nose bleeds before New Years.He said it would take 2 weeks to heal. It feels very uncomfortable, because i can feel the scab and sometimes i want to sneeze. but i have to control the urge to blow my nose. well anyway that's what is happening to me right now. I just hope it heals quick!! i am also a diabetic, and have HBP.
I completely concur. I am not diabetic but it runs in my family. I'm 36 and female. I don't have any allergies to speak of. I have found that when I cut sugar and high carb foods out of my diet my nose healed. When I add foods like that back in, my nose splits within the day or so, same spots every time. A little burning accompanies the return. I also have dandruff-like patches that will flair up at the same time, and sometimes athletes foot symptoms on a few toes. My doctor (general practitioner) looked at me a little strange when I told her I thought that sugar was related to my symptoms. But I am convinced, and can personally attest to when I cut out the sugar and watch my carbs (no bread, small amounts of grains like rices, quinoa, or oatmeal) my symptoms go away.
And here after all this time I thought I was the only one with this problem. The looks I get from it, I feel brutal when it happens, which is alot. I was given a spray to use but it dosnt work. I feel like a cocaine abuser of many years as my nose is in a bad way hwen this flares up. Please if there is any help out there do share. P.s what is sea Breeze? do u actually mean a walk by the ocean?? :-)  ive tried loads of things
I had surgery in 1996 to remove a small tumor from my pituitary gland and they had to go under my upper lip and thru my nasal passage for it.  Since 96 I have dealt with a fissure.  It never completely healed.  It gets so bad I have to use a sterile bobby pin to grasp the scab and peel it out.  I also use quips to help clean it out and apply neosporin.  I've been living with this for 16 years...and it's no better.  I fear what will I do when I'm elderly and shake so bad I won't be able to clean it out.  
I've got a solution that works...take a Q-tip cotton swab, run a little water on it, pour a drop of Clorox bleach on it so it's about a 50/50 mix, dab wound with the solution. Feels and smells like chlorinated swimming pool water. Repeat 2 - 3 times a day until healed in 1 - 2 days. Scab will form, don't remove it.
I have the same problem which started about 5 years ago. I also used to get small cuts and irritated patches at the corners of my mouth. I went to my doctor and she thought the splitting might be caused by eczema that was getting infected. She prescribed Fucidin cream which contains antibiotics and it did the trick. I still have to use it inside my nostrils from time to time when the problem flares up but I've never had it at the corners of my mouth since.
Over the last 2-3 months I have been having trouble with both nostrils. They have been extremely dry and irritated.
I had been using Carmex in an attempt to keep it mositurized. As I have always had dry nostrils I assumed that it was a continuation of the same problem, but this time not only were my results temporary and minimal, but the problem definitely worsened over time.
My Doctor said to use antibiotic ointment. I had no better success with that, and was becoming desperate until I read your post.
I have had small bouts of eczema in the past, and my Doctor gave me Betamethasone Dipropionate Ointment USP (0.05%) which does wonders. I decided to try it in my nostrils... NOT ONLY DID IT WORK, but it has almost comletely cleared up within the last 24hrs!!
Thank you SOOO much for your post!!
Sounds yucky, but out of desperation..I applied a cream used for the treatment of tinea (athletes foot) to treat my symptoms! The left nostril cleared up literally in 24 hours and the right nostril is well on its way to mending nicely. I applied it sparingly just in and around the inside of the nostrils with a cotton bud twice a day. There's no odour, no stinging, no pain. I'm almost convinced my condition was some type of a fungal infection which attacked the soft tissue's of the nose.
bacitracin and a&d work great...if your nose is running make sure you bow it first and dry the inside of your nostrils the best you can, then put some a&d out bacitracin in your finger and rub it inside your nostril on the affected area, continue this for a few days and you will be amazed, your nose well heal and the pain will be gone...it won't prevent it from coming back but soon as you feel the tenderness like it wants to come back, add some cream and it will fix the problem before it gets unbareable....believe it or not, its a very common problem...its just not usually a public topic of conversation...its caused by dry air, i suggest you invest in a humidifier!!!!
I'm glad I Googled this subject and found your post.  Your idea about the blood sugar levels is very interesting.  It makes sense now that I think about it.  My nose just started splitting again and the skin on my little toe just split too. Since Halloween was just 2 weeks ago, I've been eating a lot more sugar/candy since there are 3 buckets of candy lying around from our 3 boys.  I'll have to keep an eye on it!  Thanks for sharing.  For the past 2 years I've been putting Vaseline on the cuts on the inside of my nose. It helps to keep it from feeling as dried out at sore, but hasn't made it go away completely. Usually, I just use it at night, otherwise when it starts to warm up it looks like my nose is running.  Thanks again!
Hello There, This has happened to me on and of for the last year. It IS allergy related. It is your bodies reaction to Fungus, mold, dust or sinus fungus. This year has been the worst for allergies. I have had this treated thru accupressure for treating allergies. The method is called AAT. IT WORKS! If you notice, you can take a 12 hour Claritian D and the nose will actually start to heal. Once you stop it starts up again. So the allergy is lingering in your system. AAT removes the allergy all together so that if doesn't come back. For me it has been a lengthy process but it works. I can't say enough great things about this for helping allergy sufferers. My best to you....
My boyfriend has this too. For years he was using neosporin without much relief. It took forever to heal. I suggested a netti pot saline rinse, then applied organic coconut oil with a cotton swab liberally to each split. (I had heard about coconut oil being used on cuts.) To his/my amazement, it healed almost overnight without the itchy, painful scab.
I have had this problem for a year and have been using Vaseline, I just read this on the Livestrong site and thought I should share. Read below....
Warnings
Petroleum jelly can moisten the tissue just inside the nose and soothe cracked skin, but there is a slight possibility of a condition called lipoid pneumonia if you choose this remedy. When you put a product in your nose, some of it will drain down the throat and enter the stomach where the stomach acid can handle it. A very small portion may, however, go down the wind pipe where there is no such mechanism. Lipoids, or oil-based products like petroleum jelly, can collect at the entrance to the lungs and cause coughing, chest pain and shortness of breath.
I have the same issue
Lol i have tha same problem...Its from the excessive blowing of your nose with tissues. I constantly blow my nose when im congested and right around winter time my nose runs ALOT and i've noticed tha slit always seems to come back right around then..i have it now lol which is why im even here in tha first place...over and out
An ENT doc I went to to get a vein in my nose cauterized because of excessive nose bleeds said to use KY Jelly instead of Vaseline for that reason.
I found this thread a few weeks ago when I was having similar problems (and have had for years). I tried using a saline solution several times a day, putting a humidifier in my bedroom, applying Polysporin 2x a day, and, most important, stopping myself from scratching or picking at anything inside my nose. To my intense surprise, it worked! The bleeding stopped, the cracking healed and I am not getting any build-up of crusty bits, which are so tempting to pick at. It definitely tends to be worse in the winter, so a dry atmosphere (plane flights, in particular) is one culprit. I am continuing with the moisturizing (sometimes using KY Jelly when things are very dry). Thanks for all the tips, everyone! It could be there are many causes. What's important is being able to fix it!
could be a fungal infection ... I know it sounds weird, but a little yogurt may help
could be a fungal infection
I have that problem too. Mainly during the winter months. I call it "chapped nose" when nasal drainage accumulates and hangs out at the near the folds of the tip then the skin inside and outside splits .I'm constantly dabbing my schnoz with tissue. Antihistamines, dry heating and air systems don't help matters either. Soaps and acne washes can get inside the nose. I had one nasal fissure get infected with staph causing cellulitis UGH. you Just have to keep the nostrils moisturized with balms,and saline and keep fingers out of them. If you use a steroid nasal spray it thins out the tissues making splits more likely.
Great idea -- am going to give that a try. I always feel better off sugar and carbs anyway, so it wouldn't hurt even if it doesn't fix my nose. Am SO glad I found this community -- no one knows what I'm talkling about when I try to explain it. Will alo try the bleach and lomitrin ideas.

Surprisingly painful and annoying, and it goes and comes back so I'm sure it's systemic as opposed to topical.

Thanks again!
See here -- it's an astringent

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=145515&catid=182998&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=
Yep, I've had the split in the right nostril for over ten years, and the weird scabby thing in the inside lower part of my left nostril. Once in awhile they go away but not for long. They are excruciating!
Hi I have had this problem myself since childhood and it comes and goes.  I have learned to live with it but recently my partner has had the same problem for 2 months.  I did some reading on boards and I read the inflammation from allergies can become infected by bacterial as it is warm damp ang dark.  I remembered that certain esential oils are antibacterial so I recommended to my partner to try rosemary esential oil.  She applied on and around the cracked sore skin with a q-tip and now tells me it is compealtly gone within a couple of days.  Also rosemary is good for asthma and respiration problems like allergies,  also astringent and can help cells shrink as the seem to swell with infection.  I hope this helps everyone good luck.
I have also made a nasal wash with oregano essential and had luck with that.  Just make sure the oregano is very diluted, because it can burn.  I also drink essential oils in my water.  But if you're going to ingest them, you need to make sure they are therapeutic grade, like doterra brand.  For the dryness inside my nose, I use saline and aquaphor.
I had the same red irritated cracking nostrils everyone is complaining about for the last 8 months. I went to an nose doctor who told me that I just needed to moisturize it more (gee thanks).  I tried everything from vasaline, bacitracin, triple antibiotic, tree oil, antibacterial creams, saline solutions.  Then I read a thread somewhere which mentioned it possibly being a pre-diabetic problem.  I had actually been diagnosed as pre-diabetic a year before and had lost weight and then gained it all back.  So I went back on my low sugar-low carb diet.  I cut out all simple carbs (pasta, potatoes, rice), as much sugar as possible (except in fruit and small amounts in yogurt and such), and all red meats.  Even cut out natural high sugar fruits like oranges and grapes.  Within 10 days (even though I haven't lost much weight yet) my nose is almost completely cleared up.  This is enough to keep me on this diet.  Try it (look up low sugar/carb diets online) and follow it.  Stick with it for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.  For me it did.
I have also had thus problem for about 5 years now. They look like tiny white sores and they are sometimes not painful but when they split they are very painful. They then get a little scab which I can pick off but then the cycle starts again and they come back. I am sooooo sick of it. Drs can't help and an Ent dr said he thought they were warts. They are not warts! The weird thing is they are in exactly the same spot in both nostrils and never anywhere else and only 2. If they were warts wouldn't they spread? Hopefully someone can work it out one day.
Ok I know this is a really old conversation but I have had this problem for four years and I have NOW GOT RID OF IT! The inside of each side of my nostrils was almost permanently either split, splitting, or healing. When it was split it bled and looked terrible and felt nasty. I came here last year looking for answers and tried everything suggested by posters, but nothing helped. However, recently I have done an elimination diet with my toddler son because he has bad eczema and we are identifying which (if any) foods contribute to his skin problems. I was also doing the diet simply because it was easier than making two sets of meals. SUPRISE I have not had a split since the day I started the elimination diet 6 weeks ago! I don't know what foods were causing the splits yet, as I still have to do the challenge phases to identify the culprit/s. But if you have suffered with this problem you may like to try a proper elimination diet and see if it also helps you. We are doing the strict RPAH diet. Good luck - hope you have the same amazing success that I have!
I've had this condition for two years.  The only relief I get is from A&D ointment.  Takes away the pain and starts the healing.
I just joined this site, so I'm not sure how it works exactly but I did post a comment about my experience with the same conditions (painful, swollen nose) and the explanation from my doctor was my weakened immune system from MDS, Myleodysplastic  Syndrome (bone marrow/blood disease). An ointment similar to A&D was prescribed so hopefully that will work for others!
two or three qtips run under hot tap water clean out insides of both nostrils then blow gently into a clean soft rag do this often
OK following up from my comment in this thread in December I have now reintroduced certain foods back into my diet after three months of being on a strict RPAH elimination diet. The foods that were causing my splitting nostril problem were those that are high in amines (cheese, chocolate, red wine, bananas....). I have been avoiding all amines for three months and did not have a single split in my nose; 24 hours after starting the amine challenge I had splits in both nostrils. They are now healing after stopping amine consumption two days ago.
I have had the same problem for years and have found that Advantan Cream helps in the healing. It doesn`t make it go away but makes the scab softer and I can remove some of the scab without the bleeding and pain. Hope this helps someone else.
Wow! So this is how desperate we are. We will even use bleach if it will take away the pain. Thanks for the tip. I discovered that Desitin baby cream used to protect the skin from diaper rash actually works well. Apply with a
Qtip several times a day and wait. It will dry up and the cracks at the tip of your nostril will start to heal and the burning pain will subside in just a day or less. I think that it works because it protects the nose from the burning discharge and the zinc aides the healing process. Works for me and words can't describe how grateful I am that I found it.

AJI
This is a simple bacterial infection. .   get Rx. for  mupirocin.  with-in two hours it will be healed.   If you use just neosporin it will go away but come back,   with Rx. it will go away for years, or until you find that bacteria and cross contaminate your nose again.
Oral/nasal  STD's can happen to, I would recommend to check in this direction as well .
I have reasons to believe it is from the inhalation of dry air and cold air, as it tends to flare up during winter months. You can sterilize a pair of tweezers and pull the peeled skin away from the affected area, this should allow the scab inside your nostrils to heal. I would also see a dermatologist.
I have reasons to believe it is from the inhalation of dry air and cold air, as it tends to flare up during winter months. You can sterilize a pair of tweezers and pull the peeled skin away from the affected area, This should allow the scab inside your nostrils to heal. I would also see a dermatologist.
I have the same condition.  Redness and pain on my right nostril and then the splitting and pain for weeks on end.  I've read and researched all your comments. I've tried using coconut oil for weeks but it did not help.   So I tried Tinactin (tolnaftate) antifungal cream for athlete's foot and after one small application it was starting to subside in 2 minutes (crazy right!).  This is only the first day and it seems promising.  I'll let you know my findings.  
That's great advice and I believe when you add foods containing gluten (wheat/barley/rye) that your symptoms will return or you will develop new symptoms.  (Breads/pasta/pastries will turn to sugar during digestion which I believe is why people are experiencing relief by cutting sugar and carbs; however, I really do believe the real problem is an allergy (intolerance) or sensitivity to gluten - which is found in breads and many processed foods.)  Of course many people have food allergies to dairy, soy, etc.....I've not done much research on conditions resulting from those allergies.

Yes, I have a nostril scarred inside from this and I did find that I must be gluten free to be healthy and pain free.  A good reference book is "Healthier Without Wheat" - sold by Amazon.  Also you can google "What are the 200 conditions caused by gluten sensitivity?"  I believe you'll find every condition you've ever had on that list.  

The great news is that if you cut the gluten out, you become well from most conditions!  No medicine needed :))  Good luck and God bless you - you are definitely on the right path and I believe you'll find things to share for all of us to learn.  Thank you so much for offering a solution to find the cause for people asking for help :)
I had the same problem with the runny nose, splitting, scabbing, inflammation, and pain in my nostril on and off for years. I thought it was due to allergies.  I finally went to an ear, nose and throat doctor. She took a nose swab and found that I  had a Staph infection just as she had expected from the symptoms. She said that some people are carriers and may never know they are unless a culture is taken.  She proscribed Clindamycin HCL 300 mg and it cleared up immediately. Now when it happens, I get a proscription and it clears up right away.  
A common cause of nose bleed is that the mucous membrane lining the nose is too dry.  There are other more serious causes but it is the most likely problem, especially since you have the chronic split in the nostril (can also be caused by dryness).  Using a saline nose spray should help both problems.  I recommend 2-3 times a day.  A little vaseline applied gently with a q-tip to the slit should help too but apply it without using so much pressure that it reopens the delicate slit itself.  It will be very easy to cause the problem to persist if you keep breaking open the newly healing area.  Hope this helps.
I get a vertical slit like cut in my nostril and it is right at the bottom right corner of my nostril. It is is extremely sensitive. If I take a q-tip and apply hydrocortisone 1% cream which I got from Costco it starts to heal overnight and in three days of  applying hydrocortisone 1% cream application before going to to bed the slit heals up and goes away. From reading the above threads, there are several recommendations people could try.

1. Nasal rinse, I use this also.
2. Neosporin, this does not work for me, it dries out.
3. Clindamycin HCL 300 mg
4. Bacterial infectgion, get mupirocin prescription, Bactroban Ointment
5. Diet, remove sugar and glutton.
i think you may have just helped me figure out what has been wrong with me ever sense i was a ilittle boy. no doctor could connect the dots like you did. thank you so much. god bless your soul
I have the same problem . My nose splits on the upper inside edge where my sinus' drips a lot . this started happening a couple years ago so i knew it had to be something I started doing or not doing  that brought it on .
ToughKitty , your sinus is not acidic . your body is about 7.3 on the scale . A bit basic. Which leads to my cure for the matter.....
I realized that i had stopped eating salt . My body normally requires large amounts for some reason . Got no idea what it does with it all but my levels are normal when I eat a lot of it . Any way I tested my ph level . It was about 8 or a little more sometimes when my nose splits . I start putting salt on my food again and in a few days it heals up . The other day I  put a little of that alcohol hand sanitizer on it  . Stings a little but helps out a lot .
Just a note on ph levels . I try to keep mine a little over 7.3 as bad stuff does not survive well in basic environment  but then again neither does the good stuff . Point is be careful as you can die from a too basic body . Keep it under 8 for sure . too acidic and cancers and other crap love it .
Berrryyy, I have this same problem.  I get these slits at the top of my nostril and if I leave them alone then they just get worse and hurt like the dickens.  I talked with my dermatologist about this and he said that when we are in the womb, this is the last part of our body to come together and so people may have a problem with it.  He gave me a cream called Mupiricin that I apply 2-3 times a day when it breaks out.  If I catch it in the early stage when the scabs start then usually it goes away real soon.  If not, then it's a battle to get it healed but with the medication it doesn't get worse(just a little bit better each day).  I also have these nose bleeds that I call throat bleeds because the blood just floods down the back of my throat.  I've been scoped three times and they can't find anything.  Go figure!
Wow, I just ran across this page with so many people having this issue with the dry, cracked, splitting skin inside the nostrils. Holy cow, didn't realize I was not the only one dealing with this. Mine started about a year ago after having gone on a low sugar kick where I began using stevia to sweeten everything I was consuming. Stevia in tea, in coffee, in baked goods, in pretty much everything that a sweetener would be used for. Life was pretty good for a while. I was eating tasty stuff and I felt good. I don’t know how to articulate this, but I could feel my body reacting to the stevia by releasing glucose and it was like an odd sensation of my body being starved but not being hungry. My body fat dropped a bit and overall it was good. I attributed that starved sensation to my absolute deletion of real sugar from the diet.
Well, all goodness ended about 6 month in as I think my body developed either an allergic reaction to stevia or something about having your blood sugars messed with in this way caused a problem. I began noticing the dry cracked skin inside my nostrils and immediately stopped everything again because I am very paranoid about diet. No more stevia! It cleared up immediately. BUT… now I get little flare ups depending on my diet. If I have too much bread or sweetened anything it may happen. If I take creatine supplements for a while it may happen. If I take amino acid supplements such as L-Arginine consistently it may happen. Very hard to pinpoint the exact root cause without basically making yourself a lab rat and living a dull life of exclusion. So hard.
I am typically very physically active as well and notice when I am consistently training and burning tons of calories, I have very little problems at all if any with this issue or quite frankly any issue one could complain about. My current Achilles heel though is Bread, because I can’t stay away from it. And I have noticed this dry cracked split skin in my nostrils has come back since I have taken a break from training a lot. I am still active but spend way too much time sitting in a chair in front of a computer. I may have to bite the bullet and once again eliminate this source of carbohydrates from my diet as well.
Just thought I would share… I am pretty convinced that my body’s inability to deal with sugar in the quantities that our modern processed foods feed it to us has created this problem. Wish I knew then what I know now. Would not have drank so much soda or eaten so many donuts, cakes, pies, etc. Doh!  

Thank you for posting an update!  Very interesting!!
Thank you for sharing about your experience with stevia.  I started having problems with the entrance to my ears becoming crusty, flaking and scabbing. My nose doesn't get crusty, just my ears. I was sweetening coffee and tea using stevia, the equivalent of 2-3 packets a day for about a year. I stopped the stevia a week ago and am noticing healing and improvement. I think that I developed an allergy to it. Like you said it also might be that using stevia was messing with my blood sugar. I didn't feel right on stevia and it also caused stomach irritation after several months of use. Allergy or toxicity, who knows..I'm just glad that the conditions are improving now that I no longer use it to sweeten things. I decided to try regular sugar in small amounts or maple syrup if I'm really craving sweetener.
I have found when I have a flare up of splits in my nostril..I do the ...nettie pot but with a "turkey baster"HA I KNOW BUT IT WORKS ..like the bulb irrigation in surgery (use an ear syringe if you want) but ..put about a good teaspoon of un iodized sea salt in cup of warm water...disssolve and ..irrigate rinse your nostrils. Heals them right up and during allergy season...a daily rinse...keeps the splits from coming back. You might even try dunking your nose (leaving your mouth to breath on outside of a cup)..in a mile salt or a capful (1/2 oz ) of chlorox to a cup of warm water . (IS CHLORINE IONS..same as in the ocean water, that medical has found "heals eczema " etc. Google it.. 1/3 cup to bath water doesn't cure it..but heals enough to make tolerable. They think the bacteria on skin keeps the lesions exacerbated.  
I have this same problem for years but I found that when I use triamcinnolone acetonide dental paste it clears it up in a couple days. It stings a little bit but well worth it. You'll need a script for it though.
Sailing water should not be used for long time, more than two weeks. It is helpful to treat the infection, sinusitis but it may dry out nasal membranes because of the salt. Many doctors do not realize it but still recommend the sailing water to treat the dry nasal. It is not always to relieve the dry nasal but may cause the nose bleeding worse.  
You forgot other two
6. Eczema
7, Fungus
I too have had this for several years, and find as I get older I get paranoid about cancer. It is not. Out of curiosity, how many people that have this issue used a corticosteroid nasal spray???
You dont have to use a turkey baster (altho its a great idea),there is a thing called a Neil Med nasal irrigator that is designed to rinse the allergens and mucus out of your nasal passages and also moisturize your sinuses. My ENT told me to use it years ago when I had a sinus infection and now I can't live without it. Hubs uses it to. If I slack off, I get the nasal fissures.
Yes!! my guess is dairy and or sugar. Ive had this issue for about 6 months now. I am going to eliminate some nasty culprits form my diet asap
I recommend using a saline rinse and an ointment like bacitracin. Neosporin doesn't work for me but it may for you. It'll help keep the bacteria down so it can heal.    
Hello there!

I am not a doctor, but I am just wondering if you suffer from or have ever suffered from fever blisters (Herpes Simplex 1) on your mouth or elsewhere on your face?   If so, I am wondering if this is the virus simply showing up inside your nostrils (I understand it can show up anywhere near the original site of infection).   If it is a herpes flair up, topical ointments like neosporin will do nothing although cleansing with salt water may shorten the duration.  In any case, I would highly recommend getting a doctor's or nurse's input (diagnosis).
I have this too: My Holistic MD says chronic nose cracks, and dry skin cracks on fingers and toes is a fungal infection due to candida in the body. Cleaning up the diet is critical. I figured it out also because one time I took Nystatin for a skin fungal infection and the nose cleared up too! It did not work again but taking Zand Candida Quick Cleanse works great. When I eat wheat, sugar & dairy it comes back. Candida cleanse & diet and natural anti fungal ointmets and coconut oil and Vitamin E oil. Don't use Neosporin it can injure the cranial nerve that controls the sense of smell.
Ive had this horrible, painful issue for about 8 months now. I am currently doing the Whole30 'cleanse', which eliminates dairy, sugar, grains, soy, alcohol for 30 days. I am 8 days in, and my nose has healed 100%. I believe its the sugar and/or dairy that is causing it. I know for a fact that allergies can show their faces in bizarre ways, so I would encourage all of you to try eliminating these from your daily diet! What have you got to lose!
Look up Sjögrens Disease. This is a symptom of that.
I cant say what causes it but I know for me what helps is using medicated Chapstick. I use a q tip. The pain goes away almost immediately and it heals in a day or so. I use it several times a day, whenever it hurts. It comes back but having something that takes away the pain sure helps!  Chapstick also helps things that itch stop itching!  (Like bug bites). Also helps little cuts heal.