Chronic splitting of skin inside my nostrils
For some reason the skin on the inside of both my nostrils continually splits, heals, and splits again.  I do have allergies frequently which may contribute to the irritation, but I don't understand why this keeps happening to me.  The area affected is the skin inside my nostrils that is bottom most towards my palate.  It never occurs on my septum or on the outer area of my nose.  Also these two splits seem to always occur in the same spots.  They split, hurt, scab over, and heal.  The natural salinity of my nasal secretions adds to the discomfort.  I do have a tendency to pick at the scabs because they itch and annoy me because they look and feel like boogers.  I can actually see where the skin is sepparated when I look in the mirror.  This problem has been going on for many years and I was wondering if there is anything to be done about it.  It drives me nuts!  I hope someone out there can help.
I have that problem too. Mainly during the winter months. I call it "chapped nose" when nasal drainage accumulates and hangs out at the near the folds of the tip then the skin inside and outside splits .I'm constantly dabbing my schnoz with tissue. Antihistamines, dry heating and air systems don't help matters either. Soaps and acne washes can get inside the nose. I had one nasal fissure get infected with staph causing cellulitis UGH. you Just have to keep the nostrils moisturized with balms,and saline and keep fingers out of them. If you use a steroid nasal spray it thins out the tissues making splits more likely.
Great idea -- am going to give that a try. I always feel better off sugar and carbs anyway, so it wouldn't hurt even if it doesn't fix my nose. Am SO glad I found this community -- no one knows what I'm talkling about when I try to explain it. Will alo try the bleach and lomitrin ideas.

Surprisingly painful and annoying, and it goes and comes back so I'm sure it's systemic as opposed to topical.

Thanks again!
See here -- it's an astringent

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=145515&catid=182998&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=
Yep, I've had the split in the right nostril for over ten years, and the weird scabby thing in the inside lower part of my left nostril. Once in awhile they go away but not for long. They are excruciating!
Hi I have had this problem myself since childhood and it comes and goes.  I have learned to live with it but recently my partner has had the same problem for 2 months.  I did some reading on boards and I read the inflammation from allergies can become infected by bacterial as it is warm damp ang dark.  I remembered that certain esential oils are antibacterial so I recommended to my partner to try rosemary esential oil.  She applied on and around the cracked sore skin with a q-tip and now tells me it is compealtly gone within a couple of days.  Also rosemary is good for asthma and respiration problems like allergies,  also astringent and can help cells shrink as the seem to swell with infection.  I hope this helps everyone good luck.
I have also made a nasal wash with oregano essential and had luck with that.  Just make sure the oregano is very diluted, because it can burn.  I also drink essential oils in my water.  But if you're going to ingest them, you need to make sure they are therapeutic grade, like doterra brand.  For the dryness inside my nose, I use saline and aquaphor.
I had the same red irritated cracking nostrils everyone is complaining about for the last 8 months. I went to an nose doctor who told me that I just needed to moisturize it more (gee thanks).  I tried everything from vasaline, bacitracin, triple antibiotic, tree oil, antibacterial creams, saline solutions.  Then I read a thread somewhere which mentioned it possibly being a pre-diabetic problem.  I had actually been diagnosed as pre-diabetic a year before and had lost weight and then gained it all back.  So I went back on my low sugar-low carb diet.  I cut out all simple carbs (pasta, potatoes, rice), as much sugar as possible (except in fruit and small amounts in yogurt and such), and all red meats.  Even cut out natural high sugar fruits like oranges and grapes.  Within 10 days (even though I haven't lost much weight yet) my nose is almost completely cleared up.  This is enough to keep me on this diet.  Try it (look up low sugar/carb diets online) and follow it.  Stick with it for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.  For me it did.
I have also had thus problem for about 5 years now. They look like tiny white sores and they are sometimes not painful but when they split they are very painful. They then get a little scab which I can pick off but then the cycle starts again and they come back. I am sooooo sick of it. Drs can't help and an Ent dr said he thought they were warts. They are not warts! The weird thing is they are in exactly the same spot in both nostrils and never anywhere else and only 2. If they were warts wouldn't they spread? Hopefully someone can work it out one day.
Ok I know this is a really old conversation but I have had this problem for four years and I have NOW GOT RID OF IT! The inside of each side of my nostrils was almost permanently either split, splitting, or healing. When it was split it bled and looked terrible and felt nasty. I came here last year looking for answers and tried everything suggested by posters, but nothing helped. However, recently I have done an elimination diet with my toddler son because he has bad eczema and we are identifying which (if any) foods contribute to his skin problems. I was also doing the diet simply because it was easier than making two sets of meals. SUPRISE I have not had a split since the day I started the elimination diet 6 weeks ago! I don't know what foods were causing the splits yet, as I still have to do the challenge phases to identify the culprit/s. But if you have suffered with this problem you may like to try a proper elimination diet and see if it also helps you. We are doing the strict RPAH diet. Good luck - hope you have the same amazing success that I have!
I've had this condition for two years.  The only relief I get is from A&D ointment.  Takes away the pain and starts the healing.
I just joined this site, so I'm not sure how it works exactly but I did post a comment about my experience with the same conditions (painful, swollen nose) and the explanation from my doctor was my weakened immune system from MDS, Myleodysplastic  Syndrome (bone marrow/blood disease). An ointment similar to A&D was prescribed so hopefully that will work for others!
two or three qtips run under hot tap water clean out insides of both nostrils then blow gently into a clean soft rag do this often
OK following up from my comment in this thread in December I have now reintroduced certain foods back into my diet after three months of being on a strict RPAH elimination diet. The foods that were causing my splitting nostril problem were those that are high in amines (cheese, chocolate, red wine, bananas....). I have been avoiding all amines for three months and did not have a single split in my nose; 24 hours after starting the amine challenge I had splits in both nostrils. They are now healing after stopping amine consumption two days ago.
I have had the same problem for years and have found that Advantan Cream helps in the healing. It doesn`t make it go away but makes the scab softer and I can remove some of the scab without the bleeding and pain. Hope this helps someone else.
Wow! So this is how desperate we are. We will even use bleach if it will take away the pain. Thanks for the tip. I discovered that Desitin baby cream used to protect the skin from diaper rash actually works well. Apply with a
Qtip several times a day and wait. It will dry up and the cracks at the tip of your nostril will start to heal and the burning pain will subside in just a day or less. I think that it works because it protects the nose from the burning discharge and the zinc aides the healing process. Works for me and words can't describe how grateful I am that I found it.

AJI
This is a simple bacterial infection. .   get Rx. for  mupirocin.  with-in two hours it will be healed.   If you use just neosporin it will go away but come back,   with Rx. it will go away for years, or until you find that bacteria and cross contaminate your nose again.
Oral/nasal  STD's can happen to, I would recommend to check in this direction as well .
I have reasons to believe it is from the inhalation of dry air and cold air, as it tends to flare up during winter months. You can sterilize a pair of tweezers and pull the peeled skin away from the affected area, this should allow the scab inside your nostrils to heal. I would also see a dermatologist.
I have reasons to believe it is from the inhalation of dry air and cold air, as it tends to flare up during winter months. You can sterilize a pair of tweezers and pull the peeled skin away from the affected area, This should allow the scab inside your nostrils to heal. I would also see a dermatologist.
I have the same condition.  Redness and pain on my right nostril and then the splitting and pain for weeks on end.  I've read and researched all your comments. I've tried using coconut oil for weeks but it did not help.   So I tried Tinactin (tolnaftate) antifungal cream for athlete's foot and after one small application it was starting to subside in 2 minutes (crazy right!).  This is only the first day and it seems promising.  I'll let you know my findings.  
That's great advice and I believe when you add foods containing gluten (wheat/barley/rye) that your symptoms will return or you will develop new symptoms.  (Breads/pasta/pastries will turn to sugar during digestion which I believe is why people are experiencing relief by cutting sugar and carbs; however, I really do believe the real problem is an allergy (intolerance) or sensitivity to gluten - which is found in breads and many processed foods.)  Of course many people have food allergies to dairy, soy, etc.....I've not done much research on conditions resulting from those allergies.

Yes, I have a nostril scarred inside from this and I did find that I must be gluten free to be healthy and pain free.  A good reference book is "Healthier Without Wheat" - sold by Amazon.  Also you can google "What are the 200 conditions caused by gluten sensitivity?"  I believe you'll find every condition you've ever had on that list.  

The great news is that if you cut the gluten out, you become well from most conditions!  No medicine needed :))  Good luck and God bless you - you are definitely on the right path and I believe you'll find things to share for all of us to learn.  Thank you so much for offering a solution to find the cause for people asking for help :)
I had the same problem with the runny nose, splitting, scabbing, inflammation, and pain in my nostril on and off for years. I thought it was due to allergies.  I finally went to an ear, nose and throat doctor. She took a nose swab and found that I  had a Staph infection just as she had expected from the symptoms. She said that some people are carriers and may never know they are unless a culture is taken.  She proscribed Clindamycin HCL 300 mg and it cleared up immediately. Now when it happens, I get a proscription and it clears up right away.  
A common cause of nose bleed is that the mucous membrane lining the nose is too dry.  There are other more serious causes but it is the most likely problem, especially since you have the chronic split in the nostril (can also be caused by dryness).  Using a saline nose spray should help both problems.  I recommend 2-3 times a day.  A little vaseline applied gently with a q-tip to the slit should help too but apply it without using so much pressure that it reopens the delicate slit itself.  It will be very easy to cause the problem to persist if you keep breaking open the newly healing area.  Hope this helps.
I get a vertical slit like cut in my nostril and it is right at the bottom right corner of my nostril. It is is extremely sensitive. If I take a q-tip and apply hydrocortisone 1% cream which I got from Costco it starts to heal overnight and in three days of  applying hydrocortisone 1% cream application before going to to bed the slit heals up and goes away. From reading the above threads, there are several recommendations people could try.

1. Nasal rinse, I use this also.
2. Neosporin, this does not work for me, it dries out.
3. Clindamycin HCL 300 mg
4. Bacterial infectgion, get mupirocin prescription, Bactroban Ointment
5. Diet, remove sugar and glutton.
i think you may have just helped me figure out what has been wrong with me ever sense i was a ilittle boy. no doctor could connect the dots like you did. thank you so much. god bless your soul
I have the same problem . My nose splits on the upper inside edge where my sinus' drips a lot . this started happening a couple years ago so i knew it had to be something I started doing or not doing  that brought it on .
ToughKitty , your sinus is not acidic . your body is about 7.3 on the scale . A bit basic. Which leads to my cure for the matter.....
I realized that i had stopped eating salt . My body normally requires large amounts for some reason . Got no idea what it does with it all but my levels are normal when I eat a lot of it . Any way I tested my ph level . It was about 8 or a little more sometimes when my nose splits . I start putting salt on my food again and in a few days it heals up . The other day I  put a little of that alcohol hand sanitizer on it  . Stings a little but helps out a lot .
Just a note on ph levels . I try to keep mine a little over 7.3 as bad stuff does not survive well in basic environment  but then again neither does the good stuff . Point is be careful as you can die from a too basic body . Keep it under 8 for sure . too acidic and cancers and other crap love it .
marcusk - PLEASE be careful about using alcohol! i did something similar (had the same problem) & used Rubbing Alcohol & now my sense of smell is ruined PERMANENTLY. i hadn't realized that there are olfactory cells near the tip of our nose (on the inside) that help with our sense of smell. i must've damaged them with the alcohol. i used to have the BEST sense of smell in the world (which can sometimes be a curse, but is more beneficial than not) all my life. i used the rubbing alcohol at age 40 & immediately (within a few weeks) my sense of smell was significantly diminished. it's been 10 years & nothing has changed because those olfactory cells must've been destroyed :(
Berrryyy, I have this same problem.  I get these slits at the top of my nostril and if I leave them alone then they just get worse and hurt like the dickens.  I talked with my dermatologist about this and he said that when we are in the womb, this is the last part of our body to come together and so people may have a problem with it.  He gave me a cream called Mupiricin that I apply 2-3 times a day when it breaks out.  If I catch it in the early stage when the scabs start then usually it goes away real soon.  If not, then it's a battle to get it healed but with the medication it doesn't get worse(just a little bit better each day).  I also have these nose bleeds that I call throat bleeds because the blood just floods down the back of my throat.  I've been scoped three times and they can't find anything.  Go figure!
Wow, I just ran across this page with so many people having this issue with the dry, cracked, splitting skin inside the nostrils. Holy cow, didn't realize I was not the only one dealing with this. Mine started about a year ago after having gone on a low sugar kick where I began using stevia to sweeten everything I was consuming. Stevia in tea, in coffee, in baked goods, in pretty much everything that a sweetener would be used for. Life was pretty good for a while. I was eating tasty stuff and I felt good. I don’t know how to articulate this, but I could feel my body reacting to the stevia by releasing glucose and it was like an odd sensation of my body being starved but not being hungry. My body fat dropped a bit and overall it was good. I attributed that starved sensation to my absolute deletion of real sugar from the diet.
Well, all goodness ended about 6 month in as I think my body developed either an allergic reaction to stevia or something about having your blood sugars messed with in this way caused a problem. I began noticing the dry cracked skin inside my nostrils and immediately stopped everything again because I am very paranoid about diet. No more stevia! It cleared up immediately. BUT… now I get little flare ups depending on my diet. If I have too much bread or sweetened anything it may happen. If I take creatine supplements for a while it may happen. If I take amino acid supplements such as L-Arginine consistently it may happen. Very hard to pinpoint the exact root cause without basically making yourself a lab rat and living a dull life of exclusion. So hard.
I am typically very physically active as well and notice when I am consistently training and burning tons of calories, I have very little problems at all if any with this issue or quite frankly any issue one could complain about. My current Achilles heel though is Bread, because I can’t stay away from it. And I have noticed this dry cracked split skin in my nostrils has come back since I have taken a break from training a lot. I am still active but spend way too much time sitting in a chair in front of a computer. I may have to bite the bullet and once again eliminate this source of carbohydrates from my diet as well.
Just thought I would share… I am pretty convinced that my body’s inability to deal with sugar in the quantities that our modern processed foods feed it to us has created this problem. Wish I knew then what I know now. Would not have drank so much soda or eaten so many donuts, cakes, pies, etc. Doh!  

Thank you for posting an update!  Very interesting!!
Thank you for sharing about your experience with stevia.  I started having problems with the entrance to my ears becoming crusty, flaking and scabbing. My nose doesn't get crusty, just my ears. I was sweetening coffee and tea using stevia, the equivalent of 2-3 packets a day for about a year. I stopped the stevia a week ago and am noticing healing and improvement. I think that I developed an allergy to it. Like you said it also might be that using stevia was messing with my blood sugar. I didn't feel right on stevia and it also caused stomach irritation after several months of use. Allergy or toxicity, who knows..I'm just glad that the conditions are improving now that I no longer use it to sweeten things. I decided to try regular sugar in small amounts or maple syrup if I'm really craving sweetener.
I have found when I have a flare up of splits in my nostril..I do the ...nettie pot but with a "turkey baster"HA I KNOW BUT IT WORKS ..like the bulb irrigation in surgery (use an ear syringe if you want) but ..put about a good teaspoon of un iodized sea salt in cup of warm water...disssolve and ..irrigate rinse your nostrils. Heals them right up and during allergy season...a daily rinse...keeps the splits from coming back. You might even try dunking your nose (leaving your mouth to breath on outside of a cup)..in a mile salt or a capful (1/2 oz ) of chlorox to a cup of warm water . (IS CHLORINE IONS..same as in the ocean water, that medical has found "heals eczema " etc. Google it.. 1/3 cup to bath water doesn't cure it..but heals enough to make tolerable. They think the bacteria on skin keeps the lesions exacerbated.  
I have this same problem for years but I found that when I use triamcinnolone acetonide dental paste it clears it up in a couple days. It stings a little bit but well worth it. You'll need a script for it though.
Sailing water should not be used for long time, more than two weeks. It is helpful to treat the infection, sinusitis but it may dry out nasal membranes because of the salt. Many doctors do not realize it but still recommend the sailing water to treat the dry nasal. It is not always to relieve the dry nasal but may cause the nose bleeding worse.  
You forgot other two
6. Eczema
7, Fungus
I too have had this for several years, and find as I get older I get paranoid about cancer. It is not. Out of curiosity, how many people that have this issue used a corticosteroid nasal spray???
You dont have to use a turkey baster (altho its a great idea),there is a thing called a Neil Med nasal irrigator that is designed to rinse the allergens and mucus out of your nasal passages and also moisturize your sinuses. My ENT told me to use it years ago when I had a sinus infection and now I can't live without it. Hubs uses it to. If I slack off, I get the nasal fissures.
Yes!! my guess is dairy and or sugar. Ive had this issue for about 6 months now. I am going to eliminate some nasty culprits form my diet asap
Ive had this horrible, painful issue for about 8 months now. I am currently doing the Whole30 'cleanse', which eliminates dairy, sugar, grains, soy, alcohol for 30 days. I am 8 days in, and my nose has healed 100%. I believe its the sugar and/or dairy that is causing it. I know for a fact that allergies can show their faces in bizarre ways, so I would encourage you to try eliminating these from your daily diet! What have you got to lose!
I recommend using a saline rinse and an ointment like bacitracin. Neosporin doesn't work for me but it may for you. It'll help keep the bacteria down so it can heal.    
Hello there!

I am not a doctor, but I am just wondering if you suffer from or have ever suffered from fever blisters (Herpes Simplex 1) on your mouth or elsewhere on your face?   If so, I am wondering if this is the virus simply showing up inside your nostrils (I understand it can show up anywhere near the original site of infection).   If it is a herpes flair up, topical ointments like neosporin will do nothing although cleansing with salt water may shorten the duration.  In any case, I would highly recommend getting a doctor's or nurse's input (diagnosis).
I have suffered from this issue for several years and it was not a bacterial infection and no antibiotic creams worked for me. I went on a dairy free diet and my nose healed completely after three months. For me it is an allergy to dairy as it comes back as soon as I reintroduce dairy in my diet.

Also I have a painful scalp that is very sensitive and I found that since being dairy free, this has improved a lot.
I hope this helps.
I have this too: My Holistic MD says chronic nose cracks, and dry skin cracks on fingers and toes is a fungal infection due to candida in the body. Cleaning up the diet is critical. I figured it out also because one time I took Nystatin for a skin fungal infection and the nose cleared up too! It did not work again but taking Zand Candida Quick Cleanse works great. When I eat wheat, sugar & dairy it comes back. Candida cleanse & diet and natural anti fungal ointmets and coconut oil and Vitamin E oil. Don't use Neosporin it can injure the cranial nerve that controls the sense of smell.
Ive had this horrible, painful issue for about 8 months now. I am currently doing the Whole30 'cleanse', which eliminates dairy, sugar, grains, soy, alcohol for 30 days. I am 8 days in, and my nose has healed 100%. I believe its the sugar and/or dairy that is causing it. I know for a fact that allergies can show their faces in bizarre ways, so I would encourage all of you to try eliminating these from your daily diet! What have you got to lose!
Look up Sjögrens Disease. This is a symptom of that.
I cant say what causes it but I know for me what helps is using medicated Chapstick. I use a q tip. The pain goes away almost immediately and it heals in a day or so. I use it several times a day, whenever it hurts. It comes back but having something that takes away the pain sure helps!  Chapstick also helps things that itch stop itching!  (Like bug bites). Also helps little cuts heal.
I also have 2 slits on my nose and have had this for over a year...  I too can't help but pick and pick at it. I don't know what to do !!! It's painful and it won't go... I have had antibiotics creams and all sorts it just won't go !!! It looks horrible as I know it's there, if I mention it to people then they can see them. They heal then I pick them because inside my nose all I feel is it pulling trying to heal and scabing so I pick at then again. Please help!!
I believe this is some sort of contagious fungal infection.  My boyfriend has had this condition for a long time...he assumed it was from his dry & dusty working conditions.  Those may have made this flare up but I do not believe it caused it.  I seem to have caught this from him and I have had it for about a year now.  It is super painful and all my at-home remedies only work temporarily.  I plan on going to the doctors to get some antibiotic cream and hopefully that works.  
I have read each and every entry on this subject.  I have suffered from this condition my entire life and have never been given any true diagnosis.  Nothing has ever really worked long term, tho I've tried many of the things listed.  I sincerely believe (in my case anyway) that it is a fungus or a staph infection that is recurring.  I made a lengthy list of the meds mentioned in all of the posts and will try them, one at a time, to try to get rid of my latest crack that has been constant for almost three months!  
What is everyone's water intake like?  I know I don't drink enough, that's the first thing I'm going to change to see if my symptoms get better.  Being that it is currently winter, I'm also thinking that might have something to do with my symptoms.

The whole30 theory is interesting though.  I have a sweet tooth, cutting down sugar even more than I have recently is next on the list.
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!!! I suffered this painful, nasty condition for more than a decade! And I followed this thread for years, hoping someone would have an answer. My husband got sick last year and when I took him to the doctor, I asked about my nose issue, which was really painful that day. As I came to suspect, it was a chronic MRSA issue (my husband had laughed at me when I told him I suspected MRSA). My PA prescribed an antibiotic cream and almost immediately, I had relief. It took a good week or so to totally disappear, but when it finally went away, I NEVER had it again and that was a full year ago! She prescribed: Bactroban ointment with the active ingredient mupirocin. Good luck folks! I'm leaving you behind now. Try the Bactroban - it's a miracle cure!
I use the cream called TRIBIOTIC. It's a cream with bit of steroid in it. It does help. I think it's polish brand. You can get it on ebayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142194243863?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-270397377003&abcId=893836&adtype=pla&merchantid=9671944&poi=&googleloc=9045944&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0
Betaderm Cream 0.1% (Betamethasone Valerate 0.i%)
APPLY SPARINGLY TO NOSTRILS TWICE DAILY.