Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clogged/Fullness in Ears and Pressure/Vertigo in Head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi everyone,

I have been having this problem for the last 4 years and still didn't find a solution for my problems. It started with ear pressure and my ears feel clogged and full all the time and I keep trying to pop them every day. I keep opening jaw and pushing through nose to try to keep them open but with no longterm success. This has been happening on a daily basis for the last for 4 years and it is really hard to live like this.

The second problem is the head pressure and these weird feelings in my head. This is something that comes and go (or is bearable at least for some time), but when it is there I feel like there is constanly some pressure around my forehead, eyes, sometime at the back aswell and in my neck. I feel a bit of vertigo and I find it hard to focus because of this (with stress it gets even worse). If i lie down I can also very easily hear my hearbeat in my head.

I have already been to multiple ENTs,Neurologist, took CT of head, sinuses, went to TMJ specialist,chiropractor,bioresonance and probably some other stuff that I can't remember now. Thing is all results came back normal and noone could tell me what is wrong with me while I know something is not right.

If someone has experienced this or found a relief or know what it is, then PLEASE help as I am desperate to get better.

TY
Me too - exactly the same. For years and years, and it's getting worse. Diagnosis was chronic 'inflammatory sinus disease'.
Treatment....sniff up salt water....use nasal spray and so on and on. Had all the tests, brain scan, sinus exam and like you, hearing and balance tests, eye tests and other stuff that I can't remember because this is so hard to cope with that my concentration and memory is affected when it's bad.
I have found no answers! Doctors have given up! Anybody, please help us both if you can.
Anyway Playaz, you are not alone.......there is somebody out there.....(me)

smile.
It's me again - I forgot to ask where you live and what the weather is like. Are you affected worse during weather changes or rainy or humid weather? Or in summer or winter or all the time?
I ask because I live in a mild sub tropical climate and mine used to be worst at the start and during winter which is dry, but the last couple of years I'm affected really badly when it rains and in the humid stormy summers.
Hey

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering as I am... actually I was just thinking about this aswell and at the moment it is worse again and it is winter time here. I actually felt better in last months(as for head pressure, ear are clogged almost always) but in late December i started to notice it is getting worse again. What do you think this could mean ?

It means that we have the same problems but no answers. It's obviously connected to climate and changing air pressures; allergy for sure but to what I don't know. I have met other people who get this stuff when the weather changes from fine to rainy, but it only lasts a day or two. Us, it's most of the time.
cheers
For me stress also plays a big part in this. When there is a day I get more stressed I can feel how the pressure in head starts growing and ears get clogged even more, is that the same with you ?
Yes, definately!
Anyone else that can help us ???
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. This can block the tubes. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

Did you manage to find anything new regarding this?

I have been having these same symptoms for the past few years as well. At least 5 years or longer. Recently it's becoming unbearable, and it's effecting my ability to focus and as you mentioned, my memory. Everyday it seems as if I feel more and more twitches and pulses around my head, and my ears are clogged now more than ever. I'm wondering if any of you ever got a definite diagnosis on these symptoms.

Thank You

I'm still in the same boat as you, still haven't find a solution for this. Have you had any signs of relief or have you find anything new that could help us?

Well, there are three of us,because I have been through exactly the same symptoms. and all manner of scans, tests and specialist consultations have revealed nothing.
At times, the pressure in my ears is unbearable. I can experience pain running down my cheeks and neck and down my back. Most usually though, it feels like my ears are squeezing from the inside. Sometimes they feel wet as if there is fluid there, but tests have confirmed that this is not the case.
I have been experiencing these symptoms on and off since 1998. They can last for many, many months at a time, with constant pain and weird feelings in the ears everyday. The symptoms disappear on their own, only to return at a later date, usually a year or two later.
I am experiencing a bout of this now, and it is driving me crazy since I do not know how to relieve the symptoms, or how long they will take to go away. It makes it difficult to concentrate and can bring on depression because of the length of time it lasts. The pain can be intense very often and I am at my wit's end trying to deal with it. No point in going to the doctors since they have done everything they can already, to no avail.
I wonder if anybody else has some answers for the three of us?!
same problems here...started with just the left ear making noises, hissing ringing amongst other odd sounds and now both ears are clogged and head feels full like i need to be depressurised? can't take much more as mine too has been ongoing for almost a year and now with both ears....nothing will unplug them and I too, have been to the ENT, nothing wrong they say other than deviated septum! haha...more to it then that me thinks! when I talk I am inside my head, like a tunnel affect
Hi, had the same for months. Had all the test too. My doctor gave me a small dose of valium  short term and put me on lexapro. After about a month I'm doing much better. Still get mild symptons, but I can function now.
No, there are four of us. I too have had the exact same symptoms since March of this year. Mine started out with ringing in one ear one day and then to the other the next day and back and forth for a couple of weeks. I was told that my ears were completely blocked and needed them cleaned. So, I had that done but after a couple of days, I was experiencing earaches a few days a week and very sensitive ears to sound. Then came a burning sinus sensation on one side of my face that lasted for about a month or so along with 24hr eye redness . Then for a few weeks it felt like I need some upper root canal work, which I now know I dont. Now, every now and again, I get what feels like a stiff or sore neck along with some very mild light headedness and post nasal drip almost everyday, so , there is something going on with all of us here. The ear pressure " wet feeling " of the ears seems to be worst when raining outside or driving in the car.. The burning sensation has long gone as well as the root canal thingy but I am left with this wet feeling in ears and fullness half of the day and post nasal drip that runs like a tap most days.
I do find that stress plays an important factor in this issue not to mention caffeine and processed fatty foods. I do find that Ativan helps calm the issue down to a more bearable level as well as eating properly.
I too have been to multiple Hospitals and clinics and had every test imaginable done and and all is fairly normal for a 49 year old active male. I am told that there is an excellent chance that I might have either inhaled some sort of chemical or caught some sort of unknown virus. Thank God I live in Eastern Canada where we have an excellent health care system in place or I would be financially in trouble after all this testing. I can explain more in detail including medications and tests info from my Doctor that of which is an old fashion no time limit Doctor who always explains facts and theories with pictures and actual results if you want to email me (***@****)

Just remember, we are not fighting this issue alone, there are more of us out there somewhere..
Regards, Andy
It's me again.
I now realize that my email address didn't show up in the above post,it wouldn't let me type it in,so I will try it another way. Its pcxtreme at hotmail *******. Hope this works. I will be more that happy to share any and all info with anyone who is going through the same thing.
Cheers, Andy
Has any doctor suggested Meineire's disease? Seemed to fit the bill for many of these comments. It didn't seem to list any real "cure" for Meineire's except to avoid salt, stress, cigarettes, etc but I would highly recommend cranio sacral therapy for the ear pressure issue.