Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cold symptoms but not a cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Cold symptoms but not a cold

Started with cold symptoms the other day.
Constantly tired, slight foggy headache (not painful but just like I can't see clearly), feeling sick after I eat or drink, loss of appetite.

No cough but a slight sharp burning pain when I breathe in now and again.
Very congested and mucusy and some mucus I brought up earlier had blood in it.

I've titled this 'cold symptoms but not a cold' because it doesn't seem like the usual cold but who knows, it could be a cold.

Any clues would be appreciated
You might be actually coming down with a flu. All of those symptoms are warning signs you might get it. If you do end up getting it go to the doctor within the first 48 hours preferably the first and ask to see if your doctor had tamiflu so it can stop it. :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to upper respiratory infection. This can cause a post nasal drip and irritate the throat. The bleeding can occur due to congestion. The symptom described could most probably be due to a viral infection. The treatment for viral infection is lots of rest, plenty of oral fluids and antipyretics like OTC Tylenol to control the fever/pain and anti-inflammatory OTC medications like ibuprofen. Ensure to take the medications after food. If the symptoms are getting worse or if you develop additional symptoms please consult your primary care physician.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.