Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Compulsive nose picking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Compulsive nose picking

I am so embarrassed, as I have only just realised that my problem is a compulsive disorder. My mother used to pick her nose, I have seen one of my daughters does it, and I have done it to the extent that I have ruptered an artery in my nose, and been hospitalised twice now. This last time, has really scared me and now that I am at home,  I am feeling so ill. I was rushed into hospital 5 days ago with heavy blood loss, which Dr's were unable to stop, so I had to have an operation to tie off burst arteriesand needed 4 pints of blood. All of this I have caused myself!!! Yet I still want to pick, so I now realise that I have OCD, and am desperate to be cured, before I do it again. I am a 60 years old, and know that if I keep on harming myself in this way, I am going to make myself really ill. I do remember as a child, that peeling sunburnt skin, was something I also enjoyed doing. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can stop myself from doing this, please, please, help me.  
You may want to see a psychologist for Behavior Modification Therapy with the use of Adversives (negative consequences designed to consciously and subconsciously lessen undesired rituals )