Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constant Sinus Congestion and Smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Constant Sinus Congestion and Smell

For about 6 years I have dealt with constant sinus congestion, sinus pressure, and a gross smell that comes and goes.  I went to the family doctor originally, who put me on antibiotics, which would help while I was on them.  My main goal was to get this yucky smell to go away.  Its like I have a moldy sock stuffed in my sinus cavity.  This smell isn't constant it comes and goes.  My doctor refered me to an ENT who took a CT of my sinuses.  His response after looking at the scan was "Wow I don't know how you can breath!"  Perscribed a nasal spray, which didn't help with the congestion, but would make my nose bleed.  He didn't help with my smell problem other than to say that it was all in my head.  So apparently I've been imagining it.  I switched to another ENT who took out my tonsils and had me tested for allergies.  But didn't really do anything about my sinuses.  I've stopped going to doctors for this problem, I don't have the money to waste if they are going to try to fix everything but what is actually broken.  Lately, I've been using a neti pot and it has helped alleviate my sinus problems and makes my smell go away temporarily.  But my newest symptoms are problems with my ears.  I've not actally had an ear infection.  My ears are plugged quite a bit of the time.  There's some slight ringing and once in awhile some crackling sounds.  I've also noticed some hearing loss in one ear.  I am feeling off balance, like the floor is tilted.  Sometimes I stagger when trying to walk because of this.  My whole head is feeling congested instead of just my sinuses.  Is it possible that this problem with my sinuses is now extening into my ears because it was never taken care of?  Any idea of what is actually causing my problems?
Since you've been to an ENT and taken antibiotics, which did work temporarily, I will now tell you just about the only thing that will work for you now.  It's called the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, which will wash the infection out of your head, thereby curing it.  The neti pot is useless in your situation, because of gravity, and it can wash the infection into your Eustachian tubes, which is why you are having hearing problems.  The flip turn defeats gravity and gets saline into all of your infected sinuses.  You may want to get on antibiotics while you are doing this to prevent an ear infection.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

I must say that the technique is mildly risky, because it is best done bending over in a shower, but you can do it more safely outside on grass in swimwear.  In you case, when you blow the infected mucus out, do it very very very gently, with one nostril always open. Be extremely careful bending over, because the infection is messing up your balance, or have somebody else helping you.  I normally wouldn't even recommend this to you, but you've tried everyting else, and not doing it might cause worse problems. In the meantime, take some mucinex and pseudofed or other decongestant to help dry out your Eustachian tubes.

The smell is from anaerobic bacteria.  They take a little longer to flush out than the congesting infection. Don't be vexed with your ENT, the sinuses are still a medical frontier. P.S. I had all of your problems for 5 years.  I have not had a full day of congestion since I discovered this.
I have the same exact issues minus the smell.. Ground tilting, constant sinus congestion, ears feeling clogged and having popping sound within them.. I noticed these symptoms since having bilateral otoplastic 9 months ago.. Don't know if it's the exact cause.. I've never contacted anyone through this site but if there's any problem u can email me at ***@****. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.. Hopefully we can be a help to one another and come to some conclusion. Thank u and good luck..