Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Continuous scabs/crusting sore nostrils

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Continuous scabs/crusting sore nostrils

I have been to 3 different ENTs, one tested me for staph - came back moderate staph (not MRSA) and took Keflex for 10 days-no improvement.  Tested again 5 days after last culture and came back negative.  Said I should use Bacitracin for a year as Bactroban burned.
(I am allergic to all antibiotics but 2 and most other drugs-happens over time)
2nd ENT said Bacitracin irritates and easy to get allergic to it.  Already allergic to Neosporin.  She said my nose is extremely dry, thus the scabs/crusting and rawness.  Even feels sore down the back of my nose into the throat area now.  Said to use saline spray and lots of saline gel and drink a lot of water as I am dry all over.  I did find out I am very allergic to molds, grass and tree pollen and started allergy shots 3 months ago but have gotten worse since last year when this all started.  Always raked leaves with no problem before that.  Now I need a mask to vacuum.
3rd ENT also said I was very dry and said he thinks I have Wegener's Granulomatosis and removed a scab to look at the skin under and said it looked red but OK and did some blood tests ANA, ANAC?, sed rate and said I need a biopsy of my nose and to use saline gel and Vaseline.  If I am a carrier of staph wouldn't Vaseline being occlusive keep the germs in the sore areas and cause an infection?  He really scared me as I looked it up on the internet and it seems to be a death sentence.  I told my PCP and she said I would not be able to tolerate those medications if I do have WG. (I am 74, 109 lbs, with Crohns disease,osteoporosis and osteoarthritis).

Please I need advice as I did like the 2nd ENT the most but she never suggested I might have WG - could the 3rd ENT be wrong?  Have not gotten blood results yet and my allergist did renal blood tests and CBC and left a message that it was good news I am "stable".

Thank you for any help as I am very frightened.  

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When the crusts are removed do you see a ‘weepy’ surface, then the cause is most probably infection. Practice good ‘nasal hygiene’, i.e avoid using finger tips to remove the crusts, as they harbor infection causing bacteria. The nose ulcers described could also be due to blowing too much or if the air is too dry. Try using an OTC saline spray. Avoid blowing your nose too hard till the sores heal and use a soft Kleenex. If you don’t already have one get a humidifier for your bedroom. Hope these help.
Thank you for your reply.  No, there is no weepy.  I am putting in saline gel like crazy especially when I go out or clean (with a mask).  Apparently it is not only scabs/crusting but the skin itself where there are no scabs is inflammed and I rhink the doc said swollen somewhere in there.I don't remove the crusts myself - just let them soften up with the gel .  I do use Bacitracin off and on when it is really bad - Bactroban burned too much.

What could it be if it is not weepy -- just dry, dry, dry.