Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Dairy and deviated septum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Dairy and deviated septum

Hi there, I've gotten much relief in last two years for a deviated septum by daily protocol of sinus rinse, 1 sudafed and 1 mucinex. It has kept the sinus infections to a minimum! However, this summer I seemed to be producing larger amounts of mucus than usual and sometimes woke in the morning with unexected headache, not sinus headache, and feeling like I'd slept at all. A nutritionist friend asked about my dairy intake. I acknowledged that I'd been increasing frequency of eating of cottage cheese and yogurt this summer. Far as I know I have no allergies and am not lactose intolerant. My friend then cautioned me to reduce the frequency of those two dairy products to no more than one serving a week combined and to avoid eating either food before going to bed. Last night I had cottage cheese and melon before bed (I know, I know) and woke in tremendous pain at top of head which lasted until evening. Also felt totally drained from exhaustion. I spent the day on the couch, and added additional dose of sudafed, as well as a tylenol, to usual protocol from my ENT. Am wondering if anyone out there believes there may well be connection between dairy and recent increase of mucus over the summer. If so, did you cut out the dairy?